Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depression & Anti-Depressants

Have my orientation tomorrow and my first meeting with my surgeon on Christmas Eve. I'm really excited about finally taking charge of my life and future. I have always been overweight and have battled depression just as long. I taking Effexor and Wellbutrin and am doing ok now but I'm worried about emotionally spinning out of control once I actually get closer or during post op. Does being on medication make the process harder? Does the medication hurt your chances of being able to have the surgery? It's funny I'm more scared of the psych profile then getting cut.

Don't worry about it. Many of us battle depression and continue to take anti-depressants before, during and after surgery. The psych appointment is just to check that you understand the surgery and all of the implications of the post-op lifestyle changes, assess your level of commitment as it impacts your potential success, determine if you have an appropriate support system in place or have the coping tools to manage on your own and things like that. They are trying to ensure your success, not screen you out since they get paid for surgery and the accompanying program. Some meds may need to be changed depending on the type of surgery you have.

Are you really considering lap band? Many surgeons no longer perform lap band surgery due to the rate of complications and the high failure rate. They are not permanent, you know that, right? Many lap band patients are revised with sleeve surgery or RNY. You might read about their experiences on this forum and others like it before you make a final decision. Good luck!

No, I've decided to get bypass after talking to some of you on the threads and intensive research. Thanks it's great to hear that others go through the same things.

One thing you will find as you read this forum and others like it is that it's 99.9% certain that you are not the only one who has dealt with any particular issue! There's always someone who has walked that path before you.

I was so scared of the psych consult! I was so freaked out and honestly it was worse in my own head that it could have ever have been in reality. It's more for ensuring you have a realistic outlook and are not rushing into such a serious surgery without the proper mentality to be ready to manage it and all of the changes as well as maintenance you will need to care for yourself for a healthy new life.

Meds were honestly no problem for me. After a few weeks post op I was a bit kooky and hormonal. That's where you are honest and open with your surgeon or PCM. Because of absorption meds may have to be tweaked a bit. The key I think is to be honest during your psych eval. Many people struggle with depression just like hypertension or diabetes. Now days it's very common for people to be treated with anti depressants. A good surgeon will know how to help with your treatment.

I have had clinical depression for thirty years..my psych consult was no big deal. They just wanted to have assurance that my depression was under control. I did have to take my meds differently post rny..had to open capsules, etc. and they're still tweaking my sleep meds...the extended release does not work, so I don't sleep through the night very well. It is important to stay in contact with mental health professionals, as post RNY depression us well documented.

The only bad thing is now after RNY, I had to open my Prozac capsules and mix them in Water and swallow. Nasty but it's only for 6 months or 6 weeks.

My Pyschiastrist changed my Effexor XR and Wellbutrin SR to the ones that aren't time released. I take Effexor 3x a day and Wellbutrin 2x a day. I'm doing good, I had my RNY on Dec 9th. I think I feel better on the regular meds. I got emotional the during the first week or so but I've leveled off and I'm doing well.