Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having A Hard Time On Pre-Op Diet

Today is day two of my two week pre op diet. liquids only with one Protein Bar daily. I find myself not hungry cause I'm drinking so much but it doesn't help that my family orders pizza for lunch and is eating it right in front of me. So, I guess I'm trying my hardest but I ate some of the cheese and pepperoni topping. Anyone else have family not trying to sabotage but their eating habits are affecting yours? I need some help here. Maybe some word of encouragement or advise. I'm so lost. And this bouillon, crystal light, Nd Protein Shake only diet is already getting to me. FYI surgery is December 20th.

Yes, it can be hard. I finally had to convince myself of the truth: you need to eat to live, not live to eat! It really IS just food. It actually got to the point that taking time to eat was a nuisance. I would rather have a Protein drink or a green smoothie than eat ANY DAY. My favorite meal is the High Protein Almond Mocha with extra protein and no Turbinado (their sweetener) from smoothie King.

All that being said, I still love food! I see recipes posted here and I think YUMMO! But stay strong and I promise you it will be worth it! After a few weeks and months of eating right, eating healthy, you will actually come to PREFER healthy foods and healthy portions. Hard to believe, I know...but it's true.

Something that helped me, also, was cutting out TV. Sitting in front of the TV is a food trigger for most, for two reasons: your own TV eating habits and the stinking commercials! It's no wonder our nation is obese!

All said, you can SOOOOO do this! Keep posting and we will keep encouraging you!

Edited by TexasFire

That's so true! Thank you

That's so true! Thank you

If your family arent willing to do the diet with you (my husband is still eating his normal diet but when we're at home he doesn't eat any food, rather he has Protein Shakes, Jello, broth, etc. Last night he couldn't take it so he left and went to McDonald's but ate his food there so I wouldnt smell it) then I might consider leaving the room and going to another part of the house whenever people are eating. It seems extreme and excessive, but this time is so important for us (I'm just starting Day 3) and we've got to make sure we're not sabbotaging ourselves. I almost went into the trashcan to retrieve some chips I threw away, so husband and I decided to empty the trash and throw away all our non canned food (shredded cheese, poptarts, ham slices, etc) so I wouldnt be tempted.

You can do this, just do your best to work around your family and try not to cheat! I've heard stories of people who snuck and ate a little which resulted in their surgery being pushed back or instead of laproscopic*, they had to be cut open my more invasive means because of the fatty liver. That's what has been helping me. Imagining myself getting there and being denied because I couldn't stick to the liquid diet. If they cancelled my surgery I feel like I'd have to get reapproved and my changes of that aren't very likely b/c the insurance company will think i'm a bad candidate since I didnt do my part.

It is very hard I remember how lonely I felt those two weeks bc I would retreat to my bedroom while my hubby & kids ate! I also do the cooking so that was a challenge. I didn't expect my family not to eat while I was on it, seems unfair, but if they were having junk I'd ask them to go eat at the restaurant...we went to costco and they wanted pizza so I shopped while they ate. You should expect support and their sensitivity for your situation but they have to eat, try to keep yourself busy that's my best advice! Also if you cook I recommend doing a bunch in one day then they can reheat it! I made a bunch of taco meat, chili and spaghetti sauce, that kept them almost a week. :( hang in there, it will be over soon and post op it's SO much easier!!!

Today was my first day of starting my 2 week diet, my surgery is December 30th. I did pretty good in the morning but by late afternoon, my head was killing me! I am so use to snacking on something but to cut out everything but what is on my 2 week menu is really killing me. I do find that if I stay out of the house it's not as bad, but as soon as i'm home..hello hunger pains...hello cravings!! My husband is a great support system, but he hates to see me hungry or suffering from a hunger headache...how did you guys deal with this?

I feel very fortunate I haven't struggled with my 2 week diet. But I prepared ahead of time. I stopped soda/caffeine in September and began having one Protein Shake a day. Week before my 2 weeks I dropped down to just one meal a day. When it came time to start on liquids (dec 6) I was able to no problem. I cook for my family daily. I even sit at the dinner table with them while they eat, and I drink my shake. Life goes on. We have to be mentally strong to push the desires of food away. Tomorrow I am not allowed Protein Shakes. Clear sugar free liquids only for surgery on Thursday. My two weeks after surgery will include three family Christmas parties and New Years. But I'm focused long term and will not grieve loss of food this holiday season.

Edited by E2013

Today was my first day of starting my 2 week diet, my surgery is December 30th. I did pretty good in the morning but by late afternoon, my head was killing me! I am so use to snacking on something but to cut out everything but what is on my 2 week menu is really killing me. I do find that if I stay out of the house it's not as bad, but as soon as i'm home..hello hunger pains...hello cravings!! My husband is a great support system, but he hates to see me hungry or suffering from a hunger headache...how did you guys deal with this?

I'm so glad your husband is supporting you! without that, this is twice as hard. anyway what helped me is i started my diet on the weekend so whenever i was feeling weak, tired, cranky, and went through withdrawal, I was home and could lay down, journal, etc. It also helped that I have a lot of different varieties of broth. We stocked our cabinets w/beef, seafood and chicken stock, Thai Ginger broth, roitesserie* chicken broth, Mexican tortilla broth (i think swanson makes it), some kind of white wine and garlic chicken broth, etc.

I also really like the Lean shakes from GNC. the strawberry ones taste the best imho. i really like that they're premade so i can grab and go.

I'm starting day 5 tomorrow and honestly, i do feel hungry, but i've fought so hard for this that i keep pushing until the 23rd.

I'm so glad your husband is supporting you! without that, this is twice as hard. anyway what helped me is i started my diet on the weekend so whenever i was feeling weak, tired, cranky, and went through withdrawal, I was home and could lay down, journal, etc. It also helped that I have a lot of different varieties of broth. We stocked our cabinets w/beef, seafood and chicken stock, Thai Ginger broth, roitesserie* chicken broth, Mexican tortilla broth (i think swanson makes it), some kind of white wine and garlic chicken broth, etc.

I also really like the Lean shakes from GNC. the strawberry ones taste the best imho. i really like that they're premade so i can grab and go.

I'm starting day 5 tomorrow and honestly, i do feel hungry, but i've fought so hard for this that i keep pushing until the 23rd.

I think I need to get more of the ready to go shakes, cause the ones i have to make and shake myself just don't taste as creamy and good as the already prepared ones, thanks for the advice about the broths, I forgot I can eat....well drink those as well. I need to get a journal and keep a diary as you are doing. thanks for the advice and good luck!!