Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 16 days post op and im struggling. I was cruising along with clear and full liquids and then just before puree, i hit a wall. I went back to clears and now am progressing back to fulls. Somedays its so easy to get in fluids, but this morning i woke up and am really struggling to get in an 8 oz Protein Shake. I really just dont get it. I have had thrush which i know can cause esophagus swelling and pain. I also have had some bad heartburn but somedays its so easy. Tues and wed i got down 60 oz all day and yesterday and applesauce. Today i feel like crap and can barely get this Protein shake in. What gives!?? Im scared ill never progress to real food. Any insights would be great.....

That's good you reverted back to clears. You are minding your body and that is important. Rushing things can really cause problems.

That being said, first of all check with your doctor, but it is very likely a mucus issue. Not like you are sick or coughing or the like, but we all have mucus in our esophagus...some more than others, and definitely more at different times than others. It is very common to have more difficulty eating in the first half of the day, then be able to eat/drink just fine in the latter half.

Many things can affect mucus production: weather, sleeping habits (i.e. with your mouth open), current health/allergies...numerous things. You now have a much more narrow passage to work with. If you are dealing with mucus, it is only serving to make that passage even MORE narrow.

Also, if you are dealing with Thrush, then the membranes are likely producing even more mucus to protect itself. If your Thrush is chronic, working with your doctor to manage the symptoms will help. Otherwise, I'm sure you've gotten medication to correct the imbalance and you should be on your way to having some relief.

Stick with your Protein, slow and steady and try not to get frustrated. I know it can be difficult. As you heal, it should improve. Just remember the body needs lots of Protein to aid in the healing process.

Good luck and keep checking in! :D

Edited by TexasFire

Wow, that was a very comprehensive answer, thank you. How did u know I was frustrated??? The real question is how do i get rid of the mucous so i can eat?? The thrush was from all the antibiotics in the hospital and i am done with the meds after today. I am also in such a brain fog, is this normal??? Sorry, im a mess.....obviously!

The brain fog is totally normal. Not only did you just have major surgery a couple of weeks ago, but your body is still in the process of adjusting to the changes. Add the thrush to that, and who knows!?

My worst case of illness-related brain fog was after a kidney infection a while back. It simply took me weeks to get my brain fully back in the game. I think anything systemic like that (or like our surgery) will do that in the worst case scenario.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches