Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can not find any Protein powders that work for me. I have tried Syntrax Isopure a bunh of different ones from bariatric choice. All different flavors and types. I hate the sweet. The unflavored one is making me nauseous. The Soups are too disgusting to eat. What do I do? I'm supposed to be on only Protein Shakes and Clear Liquids till the 16th when I move to mushies. Please help

Edited by mistysj

Unflavored ones* and mushies* not my shoes. Haha stupid autocorrect. Also the app doesn't let me see what I'm typing ...

Have you tried the unjury chicken Soup? It was a godsend to me the first weeks, just make sure you don't make it too hot (the texture changes). I also found the majority of powders too sweet, I finally found Pure Protein chocolate, not nearly as sweet as others to me. Pre-made shakes were a total turn off.

Good luck!

You might want to try Premier Protein if you live near a costco. Those were okay for my liquid phase and they taste better than some of the others. I have a couple of half-used large containers of Protein powders left over from prior to surgery and it's a shame. After 3-4 weeks of that, I don't care if I ever make another Protein shake again. :lol: But the RTD is okay.

You might want to try Premier Protein if you live near a costco. Those were okay for my liquid phase and they taste better than some of the others. I have a couple of half-used large containers of Protein powders left over from prior to surgery and it's a shame. After 3-4 weeks of that, I don't care if I ever make another protein shake again. :lol: But the RTD is okay.

This is EXACTLY what I was going to recommend! I had my surgery in 2007 and I STILL drink these. I keep my costco membership and drive past three Sam's Clubs to get to Costco just for these! Half of the top shelf in my fridge stays loaded with these RTD babies!

<a href=Premier Protein RTD - Only at Costco or online." />

I do use Protein powder in recipes, though. I add unflavored Protein Powder to anything I can. I use the flavored ones in blender recipes. By themselves they are atrocious, but in recipes they work very well. (i.e. chocolate protein powder with a scoop of natural Peanut Butter and half a frozen banana) I have several flavors of powders that are disgusting by themselves, but great in recipes. To use the powders you have, it's just a matter of finding recipes to "mask" the "ICK FACTOR" of the powders. LOL If you would like help with recipes, let me know.

Edited by TexasFire

You might want to try Premier Protein if you live near a costco. Those were okay for my liquid phase and they taste better than some of the others. I have a couple of half-used large containers of Protein powders left over from prior to surgery and it's a shame. After 3-4 weeks of that, I don't care if I ever make another protein shake again. :lol: But the RTD is okay.

You might want to try Premier Protein if you live near a costco. Those were okay for my liquid phase and they taste better than some of the others. I have a couple of half-used large containers of protein powders left over from prior to surgery and it's a shame. After 3-4 weeks of that, I don't care if I ever make another Protein Shake again. :lol: But the RTD is okay.

This is EXACTLY what I was going to recommend! I had my surgery in 2007 and I STILL drink these. I keep my Costco membership and drive past three Sam's Clubs to get to Costco just for these! Half of the top shelf in my fridge stays loaded with these RTD babies!

I do use protein powder in recipes, though. I add unflavored protein powder to anything I can. I use the flavored ones in blender recipes. By themselves they are atrocious, but in recipes they work very well. (i.e. chocolate protein powder with a scoop of natural Peanut Butter and half a frozen banana) I have several flavors of powders that are disgusting by themselves, but great in recipes. To use the powders you have, it's just a matter of finding recipes to "mask" the "ICK FACTOR" of the powders. LOL If you would like help with recipes, let me know.

Have you checked the Sams Clubs that you drive by? Our Sam's sells the Premier Protein. I have one a mile from my house and that's where I get mine. You can check on Sam's online as well to see if they have them.

Sam's is where I normally go since there is one close to my home, as well. My Sam's doesn't carry them, unfortunately. LUCKY YOU!!! I wish mine did. But it's okay....when I trek out to costco, I usually stock up with about six cases so I don't have to go very often. B)

Krisk -

First off, Dont give up! You can do this! It's vital medicine. It sounds like you're mixing your own shakes instead of using the Ready To Drink (RTD) ones. Am I right? If you're mixing them, I highly recommend trying some premade RTDs to identify flavors you can stand. Then try making them at home to match that target flavor and thickness. A lot of the problems are in the making. I find all milk makes them too think so I cut it with Water. I also find the powder clumps if its too hot or too cold. So I sit my milk out and use some room temp Water, mix it, then put it in the fridge to chill post-mixing. (It also lets the 'froth' die down).

For non shakes - Try adding your unflavored to other Soups you can buy at the store. Start with a little bit and step it up. Dont make it too hot. I found wegmans Tomato Soup had a little spice to it that covered up the Protein 'nose' completely. You can buy it one little cup at a time and experiment. Also, dont be surprised if your tastes change daily.

You can mix up a vat of SF Jello and add unflavored to that too. It's a clear liquid.

For RTDs, Premier chocolate IS really chocolaty. They taste like real shakes. You may think its too sweet. Try to buy one and try it before getting a case. For non sweet, I found the less thick they were, typically the easier I could get them down. And vanilla is the least sweet (some would say bo-ring). EAS carb control vanilla will probably go down very easy for you. It's almost watery, with just enough vanilla flavor to mask the Protein in it. I think you can get a 4 pack at GNC to try. They're also best COLD, very cold.

Vitamin Shoppe is real good about making samples. They have lots of open jugs under the counter. Tell them protein makes you wretch and they take it as a challenge! 10 mouthwash-sized dixie cups later, you may find one you can handle.

There are also tricks. How did you take medicine as a kid? In Peanut Butter? Mary Popping sang "a spoonful of sugar" - we cant do THAT. But bust open a SF popcicle. Take a drink of shake, take a lick of pop. Hold your nose. Smells are powerful. Put something that smells fruity under your nose while drinking the protein. It's medicine.

You can add SF Torani flavored Syrup to ANYTHING. hazlenut is my favorite, but they make them all. It will mask the taste and also the smell. Be creative! You only have to survive this grueling phase a short time.

Finally, contact your NUT, maybe they approve you to switch early. But don't do it on your own.

We're all pulling for you. You can do it!

I'm not. I just received another box of stuff from Bariatric Choice to try. I'm not allowed to mix the powders with anything but Water. I'm not allowed to drink anything other that the Protein shakes and Water ( crystal lite etc). I have never been fond if the flavor of ice cream or anything milk related. Never sat well with me. I'm not lactose intolerant. All of these shakes have this milky aftertaste or are grotesquely sweet. Technically I'm not allowed the Protein broth yet but I got the ok for that since the shakes are unbearable. They still give me this aftertaste, it's like 3 spoons and I just can't force myself anymore. My office also has strict guidelines for what the powder must have in it. Which knocks out a lot of different powders or drinks. I have a support group meeting at the office tonight. Hopefully they will have some ideas.

I am willing to try anything. But I just can't find anything that works. I'm not looking for it to taste amazing. I just don't want it to make me want to gag by it tastes so bad.

That's strange. Most prescribe clears only for a couple days (often coinciding with the hospital stay), then its ALL fluids for the next two weeks or so. If youre having trouble getting Protein, they will work with you. Call the NUT and surgeon.

Jello is Water andfood coloring. Try the unjury in it. Most of us were served it in the hospital.

I wasn't. No Jello.

post-198628-0-76640900-1386268368_thumb.jpg

Those Isopure Zero Carb drinks with 40g of Protein are a lifesaver for me. I gag when drinking those shake-like things.

The Isopure 40s are kinda stinky. I have to hold my nose. But they make a 20g Cocotein that I find much more drinkable. I'm pretty amused by how fickle my tastebuds and nose are post op. I grossed myself out on milk based drinks about a week ago, and did more solids and cocotein. Then last night I was craving the sweetness of the Syntrax cappucino. bizarre.

To the OP - another good tip is to buy a good Blender Bottle for shaking them up. The kid with the little whisk-y thing in side. I find a blender froths it up and makes it too airy (especially post op). The shaker just breaks the chunks up real good without injecting air.

All my best

Jay