Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

30-Ab Crunch Challenge. Who's With Me?

So last month I did a 30-day plank Challenge. Didn't quite make it to 300s, but I did go from barely being able to plank for 20s to making it for 100s and I was happy with that.

This month, I want to try an EASY beginner's ab crunch challenge. I'm attaching a calendar. All we have to do is follow the calendar and post our successes here.

Who wants to join?

Performing the basic crunch

Follow these steps to perform crunches:

1. Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor, hip-width apart.
  2. Place your hands behind your head so your thumbs are behind your ears.
  3. Hold your elbows out to the sides but rounded slightly in.
  4. Tilt your chin slightly, leaving a few inches of space between your chin and your chest.
  5. Gently pull your abdominals inward.
  6. Curl up and forward so that your head, neck, and shoulder blades lift off the floor.
  7. Hold for a moment at the top of the movement and then lower slowly back down.
Gym alternative: Ball crunch

You can use a large plastic exercise ball (sometimes called a physioball) as an alternative to the basic crunch described above. Follow these steps:

1. Sit on a physioball and roll your torso down so that your back — from your shoulder blades down to your tailbone — is resting on the curve of the ball and your head, neck, and shoulders are above the ball. Your knees are bent, and your feet are planted on the floor, hip-width apart.
  2. Perform the same abdominal curling movement as you do for the basic crunch. You have to move slowly and keep your abdominal muscles fully engaged to keep yourself from wiggling around on the ball or rolling off of it.

I'm in. Looks like it iwill be a good challenge for me.

This sounds good. I am wondering if we can replace crunches with "knees to elbows"?

Knees to elbows is where you find a pull up bar, hang from it and lift knees up to touch elbows. Works both grip strength and core. I need to improve my speed on these by doing more in an unbroken set so what better way to do this then by tracking them on this thread for the month. I can do about 12 before taking a pause to do another set, working towards 50.

I would like to do 50 k2e unbroken with no rest as part of my December fitness challenge of completing filthy 50 sub 18 min. These feel like crunches on steroids.

I'll do the regular crunches for now, that is enough of a challenge for me at this stage.

This sounds good. I am wondering if we can replace crunches with "knees to elbows"? Knees to elbows is where you find a pull up bar, hang from it and lift knees up to touch elbows. Works both grip strength and core. I need to improve my speed on these by doing more in an unbroken set so what better way to do this then by tracking them on this thread for the month. I can do about 12 before taking a pause to do another set, working towards 50. I would like to do 50 k2e unbroken with no rest as part of my December fitness challenge of completing filthy 50 sub 18 min. These feel like crunches on steroids.

Of course! You do those and post your progress and we'll cheer for you as well :)

I will try this also! Thanks!

So did you guys start today? I did my 20 and made my son do them also. :)

Dang.... I'm always a day late lol I'll start tomorrow. :)

I got mine in today. Not too bad today. I am measuring to see inches lost by the end of the month. I may take Saturday off instead of Friday since I have class from 8 to 5:30 plus an hour commute each way. I have my mid-term this day also. Then only two more sessions with my final on January 12.

My stepsister suggested that we do an ab challenge together this month. It's a little different from the one you posted, but I'll still check in here with my progress. Here's what we're doing:

ab.jpg

My stepsister suggested that we do an ab challenge together this month. It's a little different from the one you posted, but I'll still check in here with my progress. Here's what we're doing:

ab.jpg

If I were a true over achiever for crunches, I could do both. I will try to add some of the items to my routine since I got rid of the cold. I will work toward a 60 second plank by the end of the month. Calling this Saturday, 12/7, as a rest day since I have a mid-term exam.

Rita

Did my 25 sit up's with the help of the boy! He was breathing like me with his hands behind his head. Such a helper :)

30 crunches. I got confused and forgot how many we were to do.

30 crunches. I got confused and forgot how many we were to do.

You over achiever you. lol. I got my 25 in for today.

30 crunches. How's everyone else doing?