Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've felt a bit in the dumps lately as I'd had a "goal" for myself to be pretty much back to "Normal" by the end of the summer - banded March 2nd- I know now that was unrealistist, but have felt I've lost slower than I'd expected. And now I've only lost 2 lbs. in the last 3 weeks.

I'm trying to kick myself into high gear here, and feel the positive, a plateau is to be expected, isn't it? I've set a new goal - Christmas - that's not out of reach is it?

I have lost 58 lbs - 45 more would be SO wonderful!!

58 lbs gone, I know that's good, but what are you other's experiences with the plateau's? The weight loss will kick back in, won't it??

:D

Mary,

I think you are expecting too much of yourself. I'm not sure you read my post "One Year Ago Today". I made my goal to lose at least 52 pounds within the first year and I think that was very reasonable after all, averaged out that is one pound a week. We didn't have gastric bypass. You have lost more then me in a shorter amount of time so you should be very proud. Also, I have found that even though you may feel like you are at a plateau, your body is probably changing and you may be losing inches although not pounds. You have done a wonderful job in a short amount of time. Don't forget your body needs time to get used to this weight loss.

Mary,

I think you have done very well losing as much as you have lost. I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. Are you still following all of the band rules most of the time? Have you had many fills? Overall I think you should be really pleased with your success. I think as you get closer to goal the weight loss might be a little slower. I have heard that before. Best wishes, Teresa

First, your weight loss is totally on target.

Then, a plateau cannot happen in three weeks. You're not on a plateau until you've stalled for months. (Focus on what you've lost per month, not per week or per day.)

Finally, I think we put WAY too much effort focusing on getting to certain numbers by certain dates. Say we DO get to some magic number by some special date. And, then what? We won't be "done" with our "diet." That's the way we used to think...."if I can lose these x-number-of pounds, then I can go off my diet/fit in the dress/ whatever." But this is forever. You just need to keep on keeping on.

You have done great. And you're on target. Try not to rush things. That's when we get fills that are too tight (or taking silly drugs or going on silly diets) and end up damaging things.

Thank you all! I'd put myself on the "pity pot" and I really needed the strokes. I AM doing great. I was just on a "I want the world, and I want it NOW", but am feeling much better about things today.

I have been at 219 now for a week - and really what's wrong with that? Under 220!! MUCH, much better than the 277 I was in March!!

I've been wearing an old pair of jeans in the last week (that I hadn't gotten into for 4 years) that I'd thought were 18's, but I looked, with my glasses on, today at the label and they're 16's!!

Woo Hoo, I really shouldn't be complaining about the way I'm losing, the main fact is I AM LOSING!!!

I really appreciate all the support ~ Thank You All so much!

:D

Originally posted by GeezerSue

Say we DO get to some magic number by some special date. And, then what? We won't be "done" with our "diet." That's the way we used to think...."if I can lose these x-number-of pounds, then I can go off my diet/fit in the dress/ whatever." But this is forever.

Thanks, Sue, for reminding us this is for "keeps"!:D

I totally agree with everything Sue said. It's the only thing that keeps me sane. Trying to remember this is for life. There is no finish line, there is no race and no competitors. This is all about US and our bodies and how we do or do not get our brain wrapped around the idea of changing our habits where food is concerned, forever.