Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Homosexual Liberal Atheists ~ What's UP with that?

Let me axe you

No way, BJean....or should I say Lizzie Bordon......LOL

Just kidding. Chance of a recurring event depends greatly on what they think caused the ischemia in the first place: Was it arterial plaque that clogged the blood vessels? Were the intestines physically "twisted" to choke off O2 to part? There are a lot of weird random things that could possibly cause gangrenous bowel / colon.....or sometimes it is just genetic. Bottom line is, I don't have a very good answer to your question, but I thought you deserved a reply. And if I can inject a little humor, it's not to make light of your situation (which I know firsthand can be very grave), but to maybe put a smile on your face......even if I have to degrade myself by making very bad puns.

So, I'm not a doctor (unless you count my honorary "Doctor of Sexiness" degree from the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences), so you'd be much much better served getting the opinion of the dude that has seen your insides!! Good luck, I'll be thinking of you.

Devana! Long time no read...you. How in the world are you? Thanks for your note! Yeah, I think I'm gonna make it.

plain: Actually they're pretty certain that it was a blood clot that cut off the blood supply to my colon on the left side. I didn't have any indications of plaque build up - no high cholesterol, etc., and with a little research they came up with an obvious answer.

Although I am way too old to still be taking hormone replacement therapy, I thought it was keeping my skin young, among other things, and didn't really pay attention to the stats or recommendations of not taking it after age 35, if you smoke. I had quit smoking for a long time, but recently started again. The GI guy said it only takes one cigarette combined with the propensity to produce blood clots to generate an attack like mine. It could have happened elsewhere in my body; like my brain, my heart or legs.

Needless to say, no more estrogen and no more stinking cigarettes. I was axing for trouble, dang it, and I got it. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I am hoping that getting rid of those two things will prevent another attack elsewhere. Man after something like that you feel all raw and vulnerable. Everyday I get through brings me closer to feeling like I can function normally again and not live in constant fear.

Thanks for your feedback, plain. You sound highly qualified to dispense medical opinions. Honestly, all kidding aside, sometimes using common sense is all it takes. There's so much info on the web today and so many books that are available, it's easy to at least understand the questions you need to be asking your doctor. Or your nearest qualified Doctor of Sexiness. Speaking of which, how long do I have to wait??? :)

BJean - just read about your troubles/illness. Sure hope your on the mend; miss reading your posts:biggrin:

Hi luluc! Thanks, I've missed reading yours as well. I am definitely on the mend. In fact, it is going better than I thought it would. In another couple of weeks, I might enter a marathon. Well, that's a slight exaggeration maybe, but I might walk around a block!

I've missed stirring up trouble. I hope you're taking care of things for me!

What on earth makes the OP think everyone here lives in some little town in the US??

I'm from Australia. Thank goodness we have a much more open and accepting attitude to differences in people than that!

Oh and I'm bi, I'm an athiest and I'm left wing. No idea what liberal means in your part of town, but in Australia its the most conservative party going!