Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Just Cant Stop Smoking!

I saw how hard it was for my mom. She finally did it after 45 years using chantix along with the nicotine inhaler that looks like a cigarette and the gum. Best of luck to you.

I had to quit smoking. I am 26 days smoke free. I quit cold turkey on October 26. Doctor will not operate on a smoker. He says smoking afterward will cause really bad ulcers. It's tough, even still now, bc my husband smokes. First two weeks were tough! I had these raging fits. I was psycho. My family, kids, and husband was really understanding and knew that my anger fits were not in my control and would shrug it off. There was nothing to help soothe the cravings and I felt like a crack head, but it does get less severe. Now surgery is on Dec 20. Get the quit smoking app called quit now. It helps me with showing my stats, like money saved! I will never want to start back, it hurt too much! Good luck!

Thanks so much ladies for your support, I'm down to about 3-4 cigs a day... Hoping to progress from there... I'm already hating the smell but still have the hand/mouth need so I'm am making progress slowly but surely! I'm looking forward to being smoke free and not have to worry about another pack again! Here's to living healthier'

I friggin quit today!!!!!! I bought a nicotine free eCIg and have not had a smoke since last night...... I've been smoking for 15 years! :o

I friggin quit today!!!!!! I bought a nicotine free eCIg and have not had a smoke since last night...... I've been smoking for 15 years! :o

Wow that's great! I hope you stay on track it seems like your very determined! I wish I had the willpower to just give it up like that... But I give myself credit for making some progress from a pack a day to 3-4 cigs a day now! So I will continue!!! Hey when are you having your surgery? Have you went to any appts?

I am actually the poster child for addiction! Lol!! food, Cigarettes... Thank god for birth control!!

I have been going through the approval process for about 2 months now so instill in the wading pool I suppose. I'm just waiting for insurance approval and then I don't know what happens? Surgery date?

Oh and your doing great if you have cut back that much! Keep it up!

Oh and your doing great if you have cut back that much! Keep it up!

Ok I see, well I hope everything works out for you soon. I have many many addictions like you too, they are hard but at least they're doable! I don't have a surgery date yet. I'm hoping for February after I get all my appts done so I'm still in the process with the nutritionist...

I'm kinda hoping for April just because winter where I work is INSANE and I really should be there..

Your doing bypass? Tell me why. ( not that I'm being sarcastic) I am really interested on what triggered your decision.

I hate to burst the bubble even more but someone mentioned birth control: my hospital requires you to be completely off of it for at least 2 cycles. So, to recap:

No birth control, no carbonation or caffeine, no cigarettes or e-cigarettes, no drugs, no alcohol. Nada!!!

I know one of you girls asked about smoking and having tubes tied, etc.

With gastric bypass, you are under general anesthesia which means you aren't breathing by yourself - you are intubated and a tube is down your throat. Anesthesia slows breathing and heart rate, lowers your blood pressure and basically depresses your body, even your brain. When you smoke, everything from your lung capacity and the chances of getting pneumonia, to blood vessels constricting and oxygen not circulating in the blood, are compromised.

I know how hard quitting smoking can be - I was there too. But, just try to take one thing at a time instead of shocking the body and forcing it to go into a serious withdrawal. I quit caffeine and carbonation 2 months prior to my surgery because I knew that my body wouldn't be able to handle that PLUS my pre-op diet. In the final two weeks before my surgery, I walked 1 mile every day because I knew I wanted to heal quickly and be successful in the long term.

So my advice to both of you is pretty simple: take each day at a time, quit one bad habit at a time and remind yourself every day why you are doing this. It will get easier!!!

I'm kinda hoping for April just because winter where I work is INSANE and I really should be there..<br><br><br> Your doing bypass? Tell me why. ( not that I'm being sarcastic) I am really interested on what triggered your decision.

I am doing bypass because I am high risk for diabetes my blood sugar levels are super high and also I suffer from acid reflux which the sleeve enhances heart burn so that would not be a good decision. My doctor and I spoke it over and made that decision that would be the best option for me! Also you lose more weight then the sleeve although the sleeve has less complications, I don't recommend the band to my worse enemy... What do you plan on getting? I dont know if I made any sense or not but I really didn't put much thought into which surgery because I always knew I would go with bypass.

Well..... I was kinda set on the band but after hearing all the bad talk I'm rethinking this.. I like the band cause it's adjustable, removable, manageable and it's an outpatient procedure.

But now after hearing all sides of the spectrum I keep thinking. Am I effin crazy for wanting to do this at all?!?!

Well..... I was kinda set on the band but after hearing all the bad talk I'm rethinking this.. I like the band cause it's adjustable, removable, manageable and it's an outpatient procedure. <br><br> But now after hearing all sides of the spectrum I keep thinking. Am I effin crazy for wanting to do this at all?!?!

Yes but I personally think the band is just a temporary fix and the time u have to take to get fills or hospital er visits or perhaps getting it taken out to sleeve in the future seems pretty concerning also, it's up to you hun that's just my opinion

Does the no birth Control thing apply to Mirena or just pills?

I don't think so, my friend did bypass she had the iud so I dont know you might want to talk to your doctor about that hun!