Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

N E 1 been Banded at Mt. Carmel col, oh

Hello,

Has anyone had their diabetes "reversed" after the surgery? I was given a pre-diabetes diagnosis and I am sooooooo fearful that I now have full blown diabetes. I have a doctor's appointment w/ my endocronologist at the end of this month and I am not looking forward to seeing him.

I really want to get this lapband on. I need to start getting this weight off!

I was "pre-diabetic" before my band. My family doc kept hounding me to exercise and lose weight or I would have to start doing self-injections with Byetta. I was also diagnosed with sleep apnea during my pre-surgery clearances. I am now just under 15 months post-op. My glucose has dropped to 78, my cholesterol is 88, triglycerides, HDL and LDL are equally impressive, and my sleep apnea and snoring have disappeared. From what I have read, this is not uncommon so, yes, "reversing" the path towards diabetes is a definite possibility for you. Keep your fingers crossed!

Edited by gregw

GregW,

Your weightloss is AWESOME!! After only one year, you are practically at your goal weight. I personally couldn't sit back and see my husband melt away, while I find every ounce of fat that he loses.

What would you say was your worst experience with the lapband surgery? Do you ever experience any pain/problems over a year after surgery?

I am soooooo ready to get this going.:blushing:

I have never had a problem with pain. The only problems I've had have been of my own doing. Two things: (1) If I eat too fast, I get severe hiccups. And once you've eaten, you can't drink Water to get rid of the hiccups. It just makes you feel worse. (2) I have a tendency to want to be in the "clean plate club". Even though I know I have to eat less (physically) and even though I take smaller portions, I sometimes don't put the fork down when I should. If I'm full and know I should stop eating, if there's only 2 or 3 bites left on the plate, I want to finish it. DON'T DO IT! It makes you miserable ... makes you WANT to throw-up to get rid of the horrible, miserable feeling that follows. And vomiting too much can dislodge the band. ... So that's it - when they tell you to eat slowly and chew, chew, chew, they mean it. And when you are full - stop eating! Other than that, I have had no problems and I have no regrets.

Hi all,

Well, I get to have Dr. Choban operate on me again - but not for bariatric. I recently found out I have a bilateral (double) inguinal hernia, so she is fixing the left one this Monday. The other one will be done about 6 weeks later. I saw her on Thursday and scheduled the surgery for Monday. Things sure move a lot more quickly when you don't have to worry about clearances and insurance approvals. :blink: Too bad she can't get rid of some excess skin while she's at it. By the way, did I already say that it sucks to get old!

Greg, best wishes on your hernia surgery with Dr. Choban and yep, we know you have a good lady doc there and are in good hands.

God Bless.

For Gregw,

I have an incisional hernia but Dr. Miller said that I didn't need to have it done right now since it has been around for awhile - buried too deep in fat to even tell it was there until 120 lbs shed and now I can feel it. So I get to postpone my surgery until I finish the rest of the 50 pounds to go and then have the excess skin removed.

Good luck. You do have a good Dr. there.

Seebs,

Susan

Hi all. I am back to see how everyone is doing. It has been a long time. I have been on vacation twice and been super busy when I am home. I have now lost 118# :) I am looking and feeling great. I am so happy everyone is still losing great. Special and Greg big thumbs up to you both. :thumbup:Flordiainohio, I had Dr. Miller and Dr. Choban they are both great. Dr. Miller is not great on a bedside manner, but he is a great Doctor. Plus, he has an east side office and is easier to get an app. with. I have found a great excercise. I now golf!! quite a bit too. It is very good for the "hate handles" I do not love them so I refuse to call them "love handles" lol....I have not had a fill in about 4 months and am doing fine without one. When we were in Flordia to visit my fil, he told me it was not worth buying me food. I am still not quite sure how to take it. :) We went to a lot of resturants that I could not really eat much at, grease and whatnot and it was about TOM and that always makes me tighter. Well, I am done yakking/typing for now. I will try and check in more often. Take care. Katie :)

Darn! Special K,I missed that meeting! When are you having another one? I have my group nutrition class the 26th,then everything should be turned into insurance for approval. I do have a few questions, like what exactly is this "sliming" thing? Anyway, thanks for being so informative,and helping all us potential banders out!!!

Joyce

Edited by sillypuddy421

Hi, today is my 6 month bandiversary! I have lost 50 lbs and am feeling better than I have in a long time. I am off my blood pressure meds and my CPAP has been turned down from 11 to 9. I can't wait to have my cholesterol checked because it has always ran high, I am hoping it has dropped too.

To SillyPuddy and FloridainOhio, whatever you have to go through to get all your clearances in to the office, it is worth it in the end! I have never regretted my decision for a minute. And I only had nausea once, the second morning after surgery. I went too long without a pain pill and it hurt when I got out of bed and made me sick at my stomach. Dr. Choban sends you home with pills just in case you get nausea. I took a total of 1 in 6 months.

I totally agree with what gregw says about eating slowly and quit when you are full. For me sometimes one more bite is too much. I had to learn this the hard way. I have also lost a lot of the cravings I had in the first couple months. I don't know if it has anything to do with getting the fills or not. For me, when I know it just won't go down, I don't want it anymore. That mainly goes for pizza. That was all I wanted when I first got banded, I very seldom crave it now, and it was my favorite food!!

Sliming is not a pretty thing. It happens when you get food stuck in your band and the saliva that you are swallowing won't go through then either. So you kind of have to keep spitting it out until you get unstuck or throw up, which is usually slime and food. So, chew, chew, chew, and small bites, slowly.

Shawna

Edited by swood
spelling

Sillypuddy - next get together will be July 11 at 2-4 pm Polaris Mall food court. We'll get an item posted but we try to keep it the second Saturday unless that conflicts with a big holiday.

Katiebugg -- Congrats on how great you are doing too.

Swood -- good to hear from you again - wow 6 months flew right on by. Keep up the good work everyone.

As we know, its not magic!