Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions and concerns

~Hello All~

I am scheduled for surgery on April 2, 07. I am very excited but I do have a few concerns and questions. I am sure a lot of you have been dealing with weight related issues such as blood pressure and diabetes. I would like to know how these things have changed and how you have felt since your surgeries with regards to the weight related illnesses.

I have rhumetoid arthritis, daily chronic pain, high blood pressure, fibromialgia, borderline diabetes, and Migraines. I also have a genetic back problem, where a lower disk did not fuse, it slips, and gets inflamed. I am in constant pain of some kind. My back cannot be operated on, I have trouble sleeping and walking due to pain and my leg and feet going to sleep. Then on top of that the meds that I take break down my immunities and I get sick (colds, flu & shingles) all the time. I am hypoglycemic and have never been able to skip meals.

My question is does this get better? LOL!! I've become peranoid...because nothing helps. I know several people who have had LBS done. They do not get hungry...but I've heard that a million times and things have never worked for me. Does the chronic pain get better? Energy levels...illnesses? What are some of your experiences with weight related illnesses and how has the LBS helped you with those illnesses?

I can tell you that many of us have health issues going in. For me, I was not diagnosed with my diabetes until I went in for my pre surgery physcial. My high blood pressure, I've been dealing with for about 3 years.

Almost 6 weeks out; and my blood sugars have droped alot - enough that I'm now on 1/2 of my meds than I was before surgery. My blood pressure is now measuring at 114/74. I am thrilled.

I'm just curious...have you ever done a low=carb diet? When I was die-hard LC, I knew a lot of people who had your symptoms and were helped when they cut out wheat products. Have you ever tried that?

You may also want to look up "leaky gut syndrome" and see if anything rings a bell for you.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the input....I do appreciate it!!

Terri

I have tried low carb. I lose weight however, I am constantly hungry. I know that I have food sensitivities that have possibly turned to allergies, my mother had food intolerances and wheat was one of the worst for her. Could be for me too! I've never heard of leaky gut syndrome....but with all the other syndromes I have why the hell not!!! LOL

Leaky Gut is a very interesting "theory"...I don't know if it's recognized formally in the medical field but in the natural medicine field it most certainly is. I think you'd be amazed at seeing yourself in the profile. If you'd like me to find you some links, I'd be happy to do that. If you're a carb addict and have leaky gut....you surely will have those problems. Maybe after you get banded and stay away from bread & Pasta, you'll see some improvement. Although I think it's recommended to avoid ALL wheat gluten...period.

Best of luck to you.

Terri~ I would definately like to have more info and links. I have been involved with alternative medicine most of my life. Leaky gut is just one that I have never heard of.

~Jack, Thanks for your response and encouragement. I have Spondylitis. Sometimes refered to as Spondylosthesis, ankalosing spondylitis, and spondylarthirits. Each one is a seperate condition however, they are all in the lower spinal region. I was told it was a disk that didn't fuse together. I'm not totally sure how that all works. I do know that if spondylo goes too long untreated or you don't exercise that the entire spine and neck can fuse together.

I do go to chiropractors, in fact one that I have gone to has the same condition and he was the first to be able to adjust it to where I could stand for more than 15 seconds at a time. Weight and foods affect it. It is a form of rhumetoid arthritis, and is treated the same as RA. I read something that said if you have ankalosing spondylitis that goes on too long untreated that it can bring on RA. I did not know much about spondylitis the back Drs didn't seem to know much except that it could not be corrected with surgery. Now I have seen that there is a place in Florida that does suregery on it. Most of what I know about it I have found on the internet. This is a good site to look up info.

http://www.rheumatology.org/public/factsheets/spondylitis_new.aspnet.

Here ya go. This website appears to contain very comprehensive information:

http://www.leakygut.co.uk/index.htm

Best of luck to you. I do hope the band will help you in lots of ways! :clap2: