Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Marylanders!

Their office is located off Rt. 40 in Catonsville. They use St. Agnes hospital.

Welcome Nancy! I think everyone here has felt the same as you. It is exciting and scary, but wonderful to think of a new life, and a new YOU! Best wishes!

How are you feeling? Dr. Averbach is my doctor too. Did you like him? I actually had an appointment with Singh but he was sick so I saw Averbach. Hope you're doing good.

Nancy

Hello Nancy,

I did not get the band yet. I am in the process of getting it done soon... I hope. I have seen my doctor which is Dr. Rickford in DC he told me that I was a good canidate so I have to see the cardiogolist and therapist and they will submit my information to BCBS then he will give me a date so I can get the procedure done. I really cannot wait to get this weight off of me.

Well, I go to the therapist on April 11, then I go to the Cardiogolist on April 13 and I will see my doctor on April 13 in the afternoon then I am done I hope..:clap2:

The doctor told me that I have to be on a liquid diet for a week before my surgery date because he would like for my liver to shrink before surgery.:hungry:

Are u in that process yet?

From what I've heard, Averbach is not as personable as Singh. I like him though. He's a straight shooter, and you always know where you stand with him. He's good at what he does, and that's what matters to me.

In my opinion, if you have "head hunger" problems, or find it impossible to diet, lap band may not be the best choice for you. You still have to work hard at making good food choices. You still have to excesses and eat salads! It's not a "magic bullet". The biggest difference for me is that I can eat and be FULL for the first time in my life.

My first year bandaversary is April 20. I hope to be down 75 lbs by then. Most folks lose weight much quicker with bypass. Lap Band is a slower weight loss process. The times food gets stuck are the worst (maybe once a month, though not as often now). The other bummer is that I have lost alot of hair, but I'm told it will grow back in again. Aside from that, I am thrilled with my new life. I bought boots that fit over my calf, I don't need seat belt extenders on the plane anymore. I fit in bathroom stalls again. So many little victories everyday! Everyone here has a similar story. Lap Band has changed my life and was the very best choice for me.

God bless you on your journey!

Hello,

I was banded in late January 2006 by Dr. Averbach and I have lost 130 lbs. to date. St. Agnes is a terrific facility and Dr. Averbach is a wonderful surgeon and a sweetheart, to boot.

The Lapband is the best thing I've ever done for myself. I was an overeater--what fat person isn't?--and it helps you eat far less (I eat about a fourth of what I used to) and to stay full for 4-6 hours between meals. You have to be patient, you have to experiment with what you can and cannot eat, it is all trial and error and the Lapband can be a fickle bitch. I still throw up when I eat too fast, take too big bites, or eat something dry in texture.

But I feel I have this tool for a lifetime and it makes me feel relatively in control and I now eat normally (actually, less than normal) whereas before I never really felt "full" unless I was stuffed to the gills. And even then, I wondered whether I was truly sated or whether a huge portion was going to be enough food.

I still over-order in restaurants and cook too much food at one time--old habits are hard to break. The good news is, I always have leftovers for one or two more meals.

I never regretted not getting gastric bypass--sure, I could have lost 150 lbs. in 6 months or so. But the mortality rate, the complications, and the long term effects of vitamin/mineral malabsorption concerned me. The lapband is slower, you have to think more and make healthy choices more often, but I couldn't be more pleased with the result.

I was banded 2/16/07 by Dr. Li at Sinai Hospital in Baltimore. So far so good. I have not had any real side effects. I had my first fill a couple weeks ago and it went OK. The only thing is I am losing slow in my opinion. Which I did expect with this type of surgery but to read others post and how much they have lost so far can sometimes be a little discouraging. I was a lower BMI (35) and a lower start weight (215) which according to my doctor and everthing I have read the lower your BMI and start weight the slower your weight lost. Go figure. I have lost about 29lbs in a little of six weeks. The most encouraging thing is have not gain any weight and so far since the surgery I have not really experience hunger. Which for me is great. I was self pay. And the actually surgery for the lap band was about 6, 000 because I guess the hospital submitted the claim to my insurance company by mistake (I knew it was not a covered benefit) and they pay for the hospital staY and anesthesia. So it cut off about about 7, 000. I don't regret the surgery at all but keep in mind it is to be used as a tool. Good Luck to you and keep us posted.

Thank you for your info. I am getting banded 4/19 by doctor Averbach at St. Agnus hosp. I go to Kathy this friday for pre op stuff....what is the preop diet like? I sure hope this is the right thing for me.

nancy

Thank you for the information. I am getting my lap band 4/19 with Dr. Averbach. I would like to chat with you somemore, but I have to leave in a few minutes for my preop dr. appt.....you inspired me...thanks, Nancy

Hello,

I was banded in late January 2006 by Dr. Averbach and I have lost 130 lbs. to date. St. Agnes is a terrific facility and Dr. Averbach is a wonderful surgeon and a sweetheart, to boot.

The Lapband is the best thing I've ever done for myself. I was an overeater--what fat person isn't?--and it helps you eat far less (I eat about a fourth of what I used to) and to stay full for 4-6 hours between meals. You have to be patient, you have to experiment with what you can and cannot eat, it is all trial and error and the Lapband can be a fickle bitch. I still throw up when I eat too fast, take too big bites, or eat something dry in texture.

But I feel I have this tool for a lifetime and it makes me feel relatively in control and I now eat normally (actually, less than normal) whereas before I never really felt "full" unless I was stuffed to the gills. And even then, I wondered whether I was truly sated or whether a huge portion was going to be enough food.

I still over-order in restaurants and cook too much food at one time--old habits are hard to break. The good news is, I always have leftovers for one or two more meals.

I never regretted not getting gastric bypass--sure, I could have lost 150 lbs. in 6 months or so. But the mortality rate, the complications, and the long term effects of vitamin/mineral malabsorption concerned me. The lapband is slower, you have to think more and make healthy choices more often, but I couldn't be more pleased with the result.