Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't take it anymore!

My DH's gastro Dr. has him takig a Prilosec OTC in the morning, and a Protonix in the evening. The reason for the 2 different meds as opposed to both the same, just twice a day, is insurance will only pay for one a day, and the Prilosec is as the name states---OTC (over the counter).

He has a badly damaged esophagus due to a major GI bleed he had back in October. They actually had a balloon inflated in his esophagus for several days to try to stop the bleeding, and it damaged the esophagus.

The Dr. said if it took doubling the meds to stop the acids from irritating it---then that's what we had to do.

You might talk to your Dr. and see what he/she has to say.

Kat

Protonix, Nexium, and Prilosec are all the same kind of drug. .

Wow! I just found this thread. I am so sorry to hear of all your problems.

I have been on these medications for a long time,( actually all 3 of them but not at the same time.) My dr. gives me samples of whatever he has available.

I am concerned because years ago, I had the scope down into my stomach, and my dr. told me I had a hiatal (sp?) hernia. I totally forgot to talk to the surgeon about it at my pre-op appointment. Now that I have a fill, everything sticks. I don't think there is any way I could get any more saline or I would definitely start pbing. I drink a glass of hot Water as soon as I get up in the morning. When I went for this fill, I asked the surgeon if he repaired my hiatal hernia. I had read on here and saw it on the video that if there is a hernia , it must be repaired when they place the band. My surgeon said he didn't see a hernia. I know it's there, because before I ever got banded, I used to say that my throat closed up. Sometimes I couldn't get Water to go down until it opened. That's when I went for the test and they stuck the scope down there. (I am not a nurse like you so I don't know all the correct terminology.)

Anyway, I can relate to dreading to eat. I really want to lose weight, and I am not pbing, but it's painful when things get stuck.

I hope they find the answers for you. I have read similar situations on other boards where people have had to have the band removed. I am kind of worried that will be the end result for me too. My regular doctor wants to do that scope again, because he is worried about that Barretts whatever you call it.

I also could not keep even Water done for along time until I was so dehydrated that I ended up in the emergency room, my hair fell out for months and I felt terrible. I lost 11 pds in 12 days.

I'm not sure you need to have it removed but just have it emptied as I did

gained 10 to 15 pds back but feel much better now.

Good luck, things will get better for you.

Thanks for the response Wasabubble butt. I was taking both: prilosec once in the morning and again at about 8pm and then the protonix at 9pm (for 2 days) and man, the bile was worse than before. Now that you said to not take them both, I am sure tonight will be much better.

No offense to bubblebutt but I would discuss your meds with your DOCTOR before you start not taking them because of what someone on a message board told you.

Just my opinion.

No offense to bubblebutt but I would discuss your meds with your DOCTOR before you start not taking them because of what someone on a message board told you.

Just my opinion.

Some of the meds used are OTC. Do you contact your doc before you take an aspirin? :eek:

If I was having reflux issues you bet your sweet patootie I would ask my doc before I took an aspirin.

Just because you can buy something at Walmart without an RX doesn't mean you shouldn't consult your doctor.

If I was having reflux issues you bet your sweet patootie I would ask my doc before I took an aspirin.

Just because you can buy something at Walmart without an RX doesn't mean you shouldn't consult your doctor.

The FDA approved some of these drugs because not everyone needs to go to a doc for acid indigestion.

Also, if you will reread the post you refer to I did not suggest the poster take a bloody thing. I was explaining how the drugs are typically prescribed. Usually if one doesn't work a doc will try a different one. Protonix works for some, not others. Prilosec works for some, not others. The poster did not realize the drugs are all the same type. That is what was being pointed out. It is similar to saying one is taking Toradol and Motrin. They are both NSAIDs. That was the point.

I was actually referring to evcase who said "Now that you said to not take them both, I am sure tonight will be much better." My post was directed to that person... not to you.

:guessBubble, have you decided whether or not you'll be having your band removed?

I've just been thinking about you..........:confused:

:guessBubble, have you decided whether or not you'll be having your band removed?

I've just been thinking about you..........:confused:

Still trying various drugs. I'll be starting a new one when I go to Mexico tomorrow. Hopefully, one will work.

I agree with you Drews about asking your doc befoe taking anything. So many people are fooled into a false sense of security with otc drugs especially (this is another issue) if it says "all natural" ...tornados and huricanes are natural too. Good advice!

This is more of a vent than anything.

I was banded 12/06. You know how some people name their band? At first I thought that was weird. Then I slimed for the first time and I named it, "The Evil One." Then I kept sliming and I renamed my band "Spawn of Satan."

I started PBing day #4 after surgery and haven't quit. It is rare to go a whole day and not PB. I have slimed on Water before. Yes yes yes, I know the rules. I know them well. I can't even sip room temp Water on some days. For the most part I've been on full liquids since I was done with Clear Liquids. I was supposed to be on clears for 14 days, I kept myself on clears for 21 days. It didn't help.

Since that time I've been on full liquids. Once every now and again I can eat tuna. I don't get it, tuna is considered a solid yet I just slimed on my Protein shake. It makes NO sense. The upside to all this is that I am at 50% goal.

I was supposed to go out of the country for an extended trip so I had a pre-planned fill. BIG MISTAKE! Within a few hours of the fill I was barfing every 20-30 minutes. By the middle of the night I was barfing blood and blood clots.

Got an unfill and it took a week before I could drink water without discomfort again.

I hate this, it is miserable. Talked to my doc repeatedly and he swears nothing is wrong. He said I am stressed and when I get stressed my band is tighter. At first I believed that, I don't anymore. He even suggested that I start a journal and write down how I "feel" when I hurl. Bah! Something is wrong and I'm at my wits end. I just want to have this thing removed.

I have it narrowed down to two docs, Dr. C and someone else. Now I just need to decide which one and get it done.

I do have more issues when I get stressed. So sometimes when I slime and know something is coming back up I don't handle it well. So I think stress can play into it. I do better if I go to a quiet room and calm down until it goes thru or comes back up. However, if my band is just too tight, then it does not matter if I am stressed or not. It just won't go. My nephew calls my band surgically induced bulimia and for some reason when he is around, everything gets stuck.

We sure have more problemes than they tell you about at seminar, huh?

I never went to a seminar. I didn't want a doc telling me how wonderful he is and talking me into anything one way or another. Some docs do that, some don't.

The only real problem I have with seminars is the more personable the doc, the more a patient is to swear how "good" he is. Really nice and a skilled surgeon are two very different things.

One person was talking about how her surgeon is superior to other surgeons because he takes the time to "sew the band to the stomach." YIKES! They ALL do that! But he made it sound as though his technique is better because he takes the time to do that. One would hope he takes the time to add a few sutures.

Or if the doc has written a book that somehow makes him a leading surgeon in bariatrics. ??? What the heck does writing a book have to do with being a leading surgeon in bariatrics? I call that advertising, not everyone would agree.

My surgeon requires you attend a seminar. They don't sell themselves at the seminar at all, they explain the different types of surgery and the pre-op and post-op diet and lifestyle changes. They also collect insurance information and verify coverage before making an appointment. When I attended my seminar they had patients there to answer questions about eating, energy levels, exercise and how the surgery is working for them. I didn't feel like it was a sales pitch at all. ~Mandy