Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what pain relief can you take after bypass

Hi UK ladies. Hope surgery has gone well for you both. I had my gastric bypass back in July. If paracetamol don't help with any pain now or in the future your allowed, co-codamol or if really bad tramadol just no anti inflammatory meds ever!

Hi, thank you very much for this, hope you're doing well too.

Yay! Another person from the UK. I had no lists of do's and dont's and agree I wouldn't know half the stuff I do without this site :-)

Edited by UK-RNY (Prev. Sleever)

Hi, thank you very much for this, hope you're doing well too.

Yeah I'm doing ok thank you. I had to have my gallbladder removed 3 weeks ago and since then am struggling a bit so am having an endoscopy done tomorrow just to make sure all is ok and no ulcers or anything.

Yay! Another person from the UK. I had no lists of do's and dont's and agree I wouldn't know half the stuff I do without this site :-)

I totally agree have learned a fair bit from this site. It's also so different in the uk so at times I get confused but it's good to be able to gain so much advice and tips from a wide range of people.

Yeah I'm doing ok thank you. I had to have my gallbladder removed 3 weeks ago and since then am struggling a bit so am having an endoscopy done tomorrow just to make sure all is ok and no ulcers or anything.

In what way are you struggling? How was the gallbladder surgery? Is it comparable to RNY? I'm having mine out on Dec 6, a Friday. I'm hoping to be back to work 5-6 days later. Is this feasible? I felt pretty good within a week of my RNY.

Terry - Gallbladder surgery is a breeze. I was back to work in 2 days. I assume it will be laparoscopic? RNY recovery easy but my revision has been horrible.

In what way are you struggling? How was the gallbladder surgery? Is it comparable to RNY? I'm having mine out on Dec 6, a Friday. I'm hoping to be back to work 5-6 days later. Is this feasible? I felt pretty good within a week of my RNY.

Everybody is different with any surgery. In the UK you are signed off work for a minimum of 2 weeks after gallbladder surgery my op was 3 weeks fri and I am still currently off. I managed to open one of my keyhole scars a week and half after op so think gp is playing things safe plus I'm still in some pain. I'm struggling with eating and drinking without discomfort hence the endoscopy being carried out to see if anything else is going on. I've definitely found this more uncomfy to my bypass op though. Hope the op goes well for you next month

I keep hearing about what a wonder drug Aspirin is in avoiding heart attack, stroke, some cancers if taken in small doses every day. I also know that Aspirin can damage the stomach lining. Does anyone know if us post-bypassers are ok with Aspirin?

I keep hearing about what a wonder drug Aspirin is in avoiding heart attack, stroke, some cancers if taken in small doses every day. I also know that Aspirin can damage the stomach lining. Does anyone know if us post-bypassers are ok with Aspirin?

Ok the general rule is no. However there are some incidences where it is ok in certain medical incidences approved by a bariatric surgeon. I happen to be the weird person in who has not stopped taking aspirin. I have a clotting disorder and my hematologist does not want to put me on Coumadin until I have an active clot. He wants aspiring therapy. I have moved down from 325mg a day to 81mg a day. This was my regimen before rny. My surgeon consulted with my hematologist and they together concluded it would be possible for me to remain on my aspirin therapy as long as I was taking something to kinda prevent ulcers. I take 2 pepcids daily since surgery. I will continue to probably take this the rest of my life and I'm ok with it. I've had no problems and I just kinda keep check on what my pouch is feeling like and make sure I take my meds. Will there be a day I might not be able to take aspirin? Idk possibly but I'm the exception to that general rule of no aspirin. I trust my surgeon. I did a year of research and he is one of the top surgeons in the area, trained at Columbia university and leads the Center for excellence for the bariatric program. I'd not ever tell someone oh sure take some aspirin while the general rule is no and you def consult with their surgeon but I'd share what's happened in my life and how it is working out.

I understand you're not supposed to take things like ibubrofen after bypass surgery but what can we take instead if we get a headache or backache?

My doc told me Tylenol is ok to take. I went and bought the liquid tylenol to help with my aches and pains.

No nsaids EVER (Motrin, Advil, Aleve, which are ibuprofrin and naproxin). Because of the extremely high risk of ulcers, I believe. Anyone remember if there is another reason for it?

It is because of risk of ulcers. I don't believe there are other reasons besides the ulcers

No nsaids EVER (Motrin, Advil, Aleve, which are ibuprofrin and naproxin). Because of the extremely high risk of ulcers, I believe. Anyone remember if there is another reason for it?

It is because of risk of ulcers. I don't believe there are other reasons besides the ulcers

Everybody is different with any surgery. In the UK you are signed off work for a minimum of 2 weeks after gallbladder surgery my op was 3 weeks fri and I am still currently off. I managed to open one of my keyhole scars a week and half after op so think gp is playing things safe plus I'm still in some pain. I'm struggling with eating and drinking without discomfort hence the endoscopy being carried out to see if anything else is going on. I've definitely found this more uncomfy to my bypass op though. Hope the op goes well for you next month

Thanks for sharing. I'm sorry you are having a difficult time. I hope things improve for you soon and that you're feeling better.

Thanks for sharing. I'm sorry you are having a difficult time. I hope things improve for you soon and that you're feeling better.

Thank you terry

I understand you're not supposed to take things like ibubrofen after bypass surgery but what can we take instead if we get a headache or backache?

I was told that we will never be able to take/use IBU ever again.