Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nurse said Could be denied so nervous.

I'd fight that like crazy. That's ridiculous. Tell your surgeon that you cannot afford to pay the deductible to have it done next year. You can find studies on the National Institute of Health website which show that the 6 month pre-op diets are rarely successful. However, it is important to do the immediate 2 week (or whatever) pre-op diet to the letter so that you do not have liver problems during surgery.

Reschedule appointments outside your menstrual cycle and give the next diet your very best efforts. The health benefits of substantial weight loss vastly outweigh the implications of your 4 lb. uptick.

Good luck!

I agree. And I hate to be frank but your surgeon sounds like a dick!

I had to participate in a supervised diet for six months per my in insurance company.1month lost 4 lbs

' date='2 month gained half lb,

3rd month gained 2 lbs.

4Th month gained 2 lbs,

5th month lost 15 lbs

6Th month Next weigh in this monday looks like a 5 to 7 lb lost

5'8" SW 280lbs

Total gained 8lbs

Total lost 22lbs

What is your opinion?

Nurse is saying that I could defiantly be denied.

I lost 5% of my excess weight. I just yo yoed.

So much anxiety,

If I was a perfect dieter I would not be in this shape[/quote']

Id check your insurance company's requirements. Mine is a 6 month medically monitored diet but no weight loss is required. Ive been on it since june and lost 7lbs. My last PCP appointment is the 25th so im hoping to lose a few more but not required. Hoping yours is the same!

Id check your insurance company's requirements. Mine is a 6 month medically monitored diet but no weight loss is required. Ive been on it since june and lost 7lbs. My last PCP appointment is the 25th so im hoping to lose a few more but not required. Hoping yours is the same!

I did just recheck my policy and you are right. It just said supervised diet exercise program. Nothing about weight loss.

I have NEVER heard of an insurance company denying someone because they lost weight/gained weight. Insurance companies aren't worried about the little things (like dr offices are) they want the big picture. Have you met all of their requirements? They go through a checklist. It's not about gaining 5 pounds here or losing 10 pounds there. When I was waiting for my surgery to be approved, I was fine the first day and then a wreck for the next week!! I really truly think your surgery will be approved - especially if you have finished all of the requirements! From May to October (my 6 month diet) I lost 8 pounds and I swear 5 of those pounds were just from stopping soda/carbonated beverages. I really do believe you will have a surgery date soon!!

I got approved Friday! ! Took less than 5 days. Maybe the Nurse was just trying to motivate me for my own good.. I would of posted sooner ,but trying to get use to this new formate for RNY talk is rough...Thank you all for your kind words and support.

I got approved Friday! ! Took less than 5 days. Maybe the Nurse was just trying to motivate me for my own good.. I would of posted sooner ,but trying to get use to this new formate for RNY talk is rough...Thank you all for your kind words and support.

awesome!!!!! I was really hoping she was just pushing ya :). Congrats!!!

I know I had a month of gain but a friend of mine works in my dr office. She said the DR wants to know you have the discipline to stick to the new diets... I know w my insurance I just said I couldn't go above my start weight

Don't give up. She is a nurse and u have demonstrated that u are trying. Just keep movin forward and it will happen.

Good luck girl! Don't listen to the nurse, talk it over with your surgeon and call your insurance talk to someone who can help!

Congrats on the approval I'm still mid way my supervised diet super anxious and excited. It is hard because I have good and bad weeks but making the most of it 28lbs down. I'm doing the diet before I meet I'm with the surgeon and that's what's killing me and playing mind games. I wish I just knew if I would get approved or not.

It all depends on your individual insurance plan but I think the main point in the pre-surgery medically supervised weight loss is for you to demonstrate that you will show up for appointments, follow medical advice, and make changes as best you can. If you can't show up for the appointments, and make no effort to change, I think insurance companies conclude your sugery not likely to be successful. But you did show up, you lost weight, did what you were asked to do. Focus on that. With fingers crossed.

Let us know when you hear. Oopoos, I had not seen there were two pages of comments: you were approved. Congrats!

Edited by Tizzielish

Congratulations.

I am about where you were a week ago. I have done all the things I was supposed to do, including losing 10%. Just one hitch: I had to redo the requirement to see a doctor for supervised weight loss three months in a row. I saw my doc on September and she redid the WLS referral and wrote a lot in her notes about my weight challenges. Then I saw doc in Oct specifically to jump thru the insurance hoop -- and I was down ten pounds, so that was cool. And then I saw my doc this Monday.

I called my nurse case manager immediately and suddenly she sounded hesitant, asking if the doc had talked to me about exercise. Geez, she had not told me before that me and the doc had to mention exercise. She said she'd had to get a report from my doc, which I know can take a few days, and then review the whole file, have the surgeon review it and get back to me. The worst outcome, at this point, is that I'll have to see my doc again in December or my doc has to write some addendums to her notes stating we discussed exercise. Of course we discuss exercise. She always asks me if I am exercising but she might not have it in her notes.

I'll be approved. I might have to do another appointment or two to get the right notes but I have a feeling the nurse was just being cautious so I didn't assume it was a done deal."

But you know, from your own experience, sassybird, that the wait is hard.

No pun intended, but extra weight is hard, too, eh? LOL.

I can't wait to get my date. Once the case manager decides I have done all the insurance requirements, I'll get a surgery date and a pre-op appointment with the doc, altho maybe I have to see the doc for the pre-op before I get the date. I can't wait.

and congrats to you, sassybird. Let us know your date when you know it.