Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So ever since I started on the high Protein diet pre-op, my boyfriend has been telling me that I have a bad odor... He says it has gotten worse the past 2+ weeks post-op where I have only had protein and fluids... He says he can smell it everywhere we go, though it is worse in small areas (car, in bed, etc.)... My hygiene has not changed at all (I shower daily); he seems to think it's the protein seeping out my pores emitting the bad smell...

Has anyone else experienced this??

It's a little embarrassing, but if there are any suggestions as to how to stop it they will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Meg

bodyweight.png?ts=1382456267

I haven't had the complaints about the body odor but have noticed my pee smells a lot like the Protein Drinks.< /p>

Edited by Bob 624

I didn't have that problem but I know others have. I believe it is the ketones that you are burning that causes the odor.

I believe you are going into ketosis which is normal..... If you go to the pharmacy you can get some KETOSTICKS and test the levels of ketones. Ketones are good at some point but having large amts can be toxic. Ketones are a sign your body is breaking down the fat storage. If you have bad breath that's a good sign of ketosis but get it analized by the chem strips. As well keep an eye of high Proteins in your urine which can be dangerous. I know a lot about these things cause I'm a nurse who worked in a obesity clinic where they believed injecting vit b6 and B12 burns fat and increases your metabolism. This works but I kept seeing pt's return and it was just a vicious cycle. Hope this helps somewhat!

Thanks for the responses!!! At first I didn't believe my BF about it, but now I feel so much better about it knowing it is normal :) I don't know why I didn't think of it myself (I'm a nurse too!)... I'm hopeful it will get better when I start eating real food again! Thanks!!!

Ketosis I have the same issue. But my husband is out of town. :) Lucky me... he didn't hafta smell me. I smelled like a freakin kitty litter box. My pitstick didn't even wanna work at that time. I showered daily too!! It just went away and I'm 10 wks out. It's a good thing really means your body is burning fat at a rapid rate. Most other people (other than the smell accompanied with it) wish they could put their body's in to ketosis. Or that's what I've read about it online. It's high Protein low carb diets. And yes lots have said B12 will make you smell funny.

Edited by sophiepants

I smelled like a jar of filthy dirty pennies. No matter how many times a day I brushed my teeth, my breath reeked. In the morning, our bedroom had to be aired out from my all night exhalations. Soooooooo disgusting.

My mouth was disgusting on the liquid diet it was embarrassing. It hasnt been too bad post surgery its mostly my pits and lady bits. It even smells mediciny down there too ugh. Should have gone as a prescription bottle for Halloween lol

I guess I'm used to the smell. My ex-husband is a body builder and ALWAYS smelled like broccoli, egg whites and chicken breast! Probably one of the reasons he's my EX lol

I guess I'm used to the smell. My ex-husband is a body builder and ALWAYS smelled like broccoli' date=' egg whites and chicken breast! Probably one of the reasons he's my EX lol[/quote']

HAHA! Yea, from the sound of it, I'm happy I cannot smell it on myself!

Ok I'm sorry but that last sentence made me laugh out loud!!!

I guess I'm used to the smell. My ex-husband is a body builder and ALWAYS smelled like broccoli, egg whites and chicken breast! Probably one of the reasons he's my EX lol

I got all excited over nothing and then I married him:)

I got all excited over nothing and then I married him:)

You had me busting out laughing too with that's why he's my ex line