Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am a merchandiser and lift boxes so I have to clear it with dr

I was back after a week and 2 days. Had surgery on Thursday, October 17. Had my drain taken out on Friday the 25th and was back at work on Monday. I have noticed I can't seem to work more than 6 hours though... I get pretty sleepy by 3 and feel like I need a nap! But, I have a boring sit down job and I don't have any lifting to do. As long as you have an easy job, you can probably do it. (But... disclaimer... everyone is different. :) )

I am thinking one week and abstain from lifting for at least 4 but I am waiting for dr reply

I'm one month out now. I have a job where I'm on my feet the majority of the day and lift/ position patients. I was back in 2 weeks. I work 12 hr shifts and while the first week back was tiring it was completely doable. The patient lifting positioning I had to have more help with but I know better than to push it!

Thank you that's very helpful. I was told by dr that 2 weeks is what I need before going back to work. I will try to be careful.

My doc requires an 8 week 5 lb lifting restriction. Even she admits that she is more strict than other doctors' date=' but she also doesn't have patients coming back with hernias. I am a physical therapist assistant at a nursing facility, so lifting is required and there is no "light duty" option. I talked my doc into possibly letting me go back after my 6 week follow up. I am almost 4 weeks out and while I am bored at home, I know I couldn't handle the physicality of my job. I still get occasional cramps in my abdomen with certain movements, I would be afraid to lift anything.[/quote']

Same here, as a nurse, I'll be out for at least 6 weeks with the weight restriction as there is no "light duty" for me either... It's kinda nice though, and I honestly wouldn't mind being out even a bit longer... It's giving me time to heal and adjust to the new diet and lifestyle... Especially because I only work 12hr shifts (which with my commute, ends up being a 15hr day), and often at work I am so incredibly busy I do not get a chance to eat/drink/ use the restroom... It's going to be difficult to take care of myself when I always put my patients first, so I want to be sure I'm ready before going back. I have short term disability so at least I'm getting paid something while I'm out.

bodyweight.png?ts=1382456267

I was also a revision. Our recovery is more difficult than a virgin WLS patient.

I was planning to be back at work at 1 week, but no way. I was in so much pain. I took two weeks off. I have a desk job, and really needed two more weeks. Not only was I so tired and lacked so much energy that I was falling asleep at my desk, but I could barely get out of my chair to use the bathroom.

Unfortunately, I couldn't afford to take more time off, because I only get one week of vacation per year.

I work from home, and I was actually approving copy in the hospital from my bed the afternoon of the surgery. I'm 10 days out now, but had to go out to a meeting last Friday. That was a bit ambitious, between the drive, sitting up straight for 2 hours, etc. But I have a busy week this week so I am just trying to take it easy when I can.

Yeah I am going away in December then going for this surgery. Gotta make up a story

Just something else to consider.... My doc recommends about 4 weeks off to recover from the sleeve. He says realistically you only need about 7-10 days to recover from the actual procedure but he recommends the extra time to really plan for success and adjust to my new way of life and new way of eating. He really wants me to get used to planning out meals, measuring, weighing and making good choices as your diet changes those first few weeks.

I am unable to afford that much time off but I think it's a great plan for those that can. Really set yourself up for success.

I had my surgery on Tuesday and I'll probably go back next Thursday (9 days off). But I'm not going to push myself. As of this moment I can't even stand up straight because my big incision burns and pulls so much but we will see! Good luck to u all!

Eating on the go is an issue for me. I am researching like crazy