Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Soft food stage. When you go out to dinner, what do you get?

I am 4 weeks out. On soft foods. Once a week, we go out to a pub for trivia and dinner. What kinds of things are you ordering when you go out that fit in a soft food diet? Is broccoli cheese Soup out of the question? Fish? Shrimp? Just looking for some ideas.

Great question! I look forward to seeing the responses. I have had Soup that I ask the kitchen to purée.

For me, baked or steamed soft fish was a soft food. Also, baked potato ( or mashed) f you have not been instructed to cut carbs. I also loved mashed cauliflower. Hummus was good, applesauce and I think chili was also on the list. I am just going from memory it is probably a good idea to consult whatever lists you have gotten from your doc or NUT.

I am 4 weeks out. On soft foods. Once a week, we go out to a pub for trivia and dinner. What kinds of things are you ordering when you go out that fit in a soft food diet? Is broccoli cheese Soup out of the question? Fish? Shrimp? Just looking for some ideas.

I was eating brocolli cheese soup 2-3 weeks out at Jasons Deli. Shrimp, fish, chicken, anything you can chew up easily and swallow really.

For me, baked or steamed soft fish was a soft food. Also, baked potato ( or mashed) f you have not been instructed to cut carbs. I also loved mashed cauliflower. Hummus was good, applesauce and I think chili was also on the list. I am just going from memory it is probably a good idea to consult whatever lists you have gotten from your doc or NUT.

If I had a list, I would gladly refer to it. I had a list for everything except soft foods.

Thanks for the input, everyone!!

I am 4 weeks out. On soft foods. Once a week' date=' we go out to a pub for trivia and dinner. What kinds of things are you ordering when you go out that fit in a soft food diet? Is broccoli cheese Soup out of the question? Fish? Shrimp? Just looking for some ideas.[/quote']

Baked potato - I would mash up with a fork

Soups

Shrimp or very soft fish - mashed with a fork

Soups were, and still are, a staple for me when dining out. It gets me full, it's cheaper and I don't have to worry about ordering something and not eating it.

(Sleeved 1/11/2013)

Soups, chicken or tuna salad, Calzone (but only the inside with a little sauce). Broiled fish . The only thing to watch for is that any foods out would have full fat content. But you won't be eating a lot.

First thing I had out was the inside of a calzone.

Mashed potatoes, soft moist chicken (Boston Market is good for this), plain Greek yogurt with s/f preserves, cottage cheese, string cheese, moist ground beef, moist turkey, eggs any way, s/f pudding, any kind of cream Soup (Panera bread broccoli cheese soup with tiny bits of their chicken dropped in makes a nice Protein packed meal), cream of wheat.

Edited by cindymg

If I had a list, I would gladly refer to it. I had a list for everything except soft foods.

Hey! I just realized we had the same surgeon! Crazy! Did you go through the weight control center at Beaumont? If so, the soft foods list should definitely have been in your binder. If not, it was left out somehow and they should be able to give it to you. I also find the NUTS there very accessible if you have questions. I was just giving the disclaimer because I don't have my list in front of me, my memory isn't all that great, and I was advanced slightly differently through the phases because I am a lap band revision.

Hey! I just realized we had the same surgeon! Crazy! Did you go through the weight control center at Beaumont? If so, the soft foods list should definitely have been in your binder. If not, it was left out somehow and they should be able to give it to you. I also find the NUTS there very accessible if you have questions. I was just giving the disclaimer because I don't have my list in front of me, my memory isn't all that great, and I was advanced slightly differently through the phases because I am a lap band revision.

I did go through the Beaumont Weight Control Center. It was not a good experience for me. I got a binder, it does not have anything past the pureed stage. When I inquired, all they said is that it should be in there. I have had to piece several items of information together from other sources. I can't even call the surgeon... they NEVER answer the phone. By default, it goes to voice mail. I was told that the binder comes from the surgeon's office. I love Dr Krause. But the program leaves something to be desired.

For soft foods - Beans, soft veggies (green beans, zucchini, squash, well done broccoli/cauliflower), Soups and stews (broccoli cheese, baked potato Soup, etc - those work great!). Be careful though, because if something is too rich, it can cause dumping. I had a bad experience with that eating a lobster bisque about three months after my surgery.

I've been wanting to ask about Soups. Can you keep eating soups later on? How does that work with the no drinking rule before or after eating?

I still eat soups all the time. It's fine :-)

I did go through the Beaumont Weight Control Center. It was not a good experience for me. I got a binder, it does not have anything past the pureed stage. When I inquired, all they said is that it should be in there. I have had to piece several items of information together from other sources. I can't even call the surgeon... they NEVER answer the phone. By default, it goes to voice mail. I was told that the binder comes from the surgeon's office. I love Dr Krause. But the program leaves something to be desired.

I am so sorry to hear that! I love Dr. Krause too; he really took great care of me and I was a difficult case. But, I must admit that I have had a major run-in with the scheduler in his office. I think we were both having a bad day and I was in no mood for any snappiness. We got it worked out, but I blew up at her. I found the phones at his office frustrating too. I did find out that generally if I press 0 someone will answer but if I don't it seems like no one is ever there. But, I haven't even called or been back there since surgery. I go through the center and the docs there for everything. If you want to PM your email address or fax number I will send you the list I have in my binder.