Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I ever be able to drink liquids normally again? I've always been a big Water drinker but these little sips are killing me! I use to drink half a water bottle in one go. Now I get thirsty and I forget about the surgery and get sick from drinking to fast. SO FRUSTRATING!

Yes. couldn't tell you exactly when but it happened fairly quickly for me.

Don't get frustrated..it doesn't last long! I can only give you my view point from being 3 weeks post-op.

You have to sip CONSTANTLY that first week....don't let yourself get thirsty even...I used a pill cup to control how much I was sipping...poured myself an ounce at a time.

By the end of week 1 and into 2 your sleeve will start to let you take bigger sips and it just seemed to just increase a bit each day after that.

Today I can take a decent sized drink..but not a big gulp. If I focus on drinking I can take down a 20 oz bottle in about an hour.

You can do it!!

I am 5.5 months out and I feel your pain. I am able to drink about 3 ounces at a time FINALLY, but I can do that several times over 15 minutes. It used to take me about an hour to drink 8 ounces but now I can drink 16 ounces in about 15 minutes.

What I am drinking makes a BIG difference. Water is tough but Gatorade goes down easily. My Protein shakes are quick and I do my best work through a straw. But don't tell anyone.

When I went for my two week post op visit I was instructed to stop sipping and start drinking large quantities. Now I can get down a 16 oz bottle in 10 min or less depending on how thirsty I am. I have always been a Water guzzler. I am with LIpstickLady, what I am drinking makes a difference too. I drink Koolaid made with splenda sometimes. I'm too chicken to drink through a straw though lol :) I think I have used a stray maybe twice since surgery, didn't have any problems I just don't want to have any problems. I stay away from sugary drinks and haven't had a soda since March 11, 2013. (I still say NOTHING would taste better than a Sonic Coke right now but, again, too chicken!)

It will get easier as time passes. I was the same way but now can drink almost like I did before.

At 9 1/2 wks I can drink 32 oz in about an hour or under......I've been horrible about remembering to drink was fluids over the last week. I know my body is using it due to not peeing every 15 mins or so. I'm making a mental note now to drink through out the day! Gotta stop craming it in the last 4 or 5 hours in the day.....that said I'm Doing 32 oz now because its 230 and I haven't drank anything yet! Gah :) It'll get better lady.

Edited by sophiepants

I've always been a big Water drinker too -- and like Fixerupper, I got back to that fairly quickly, for the most part. Definitely 98% of the time I drink Water just as I always have.

But some days - and I have not figured out why -- I do get a bit uncomfortable with water. I just always start slow and see how it's going to go that day. But MOSTLY water is a breeze :)

In the beginning I had to schedule it or I couldn't get any liquids in. I also didn't hit my liquid goals for the first few months. I averaged about 40 oz or so. I still find it work to get 64 oz in because of the no eating and drinking rules- sometimes it feels like there aren't enough hours in the day to get it all in! But I can gulp now and drink more in a sitting, so it does get better after a few months.

In the beginning I had to schedule it or I couldn't get any liquids in. I also didn't hit my liquid goals for the first few months. I averaged about 40 oz or so. I still find it work to get 64 oz in because of the no eating and drinking rules- sometimes it feels like there aren't enough hours in the day to get it all in! But I can gulp now and drink more in a sitting' date=' so it does get better after a few months.[/quote']

The no drinking when eating rule sucks lol i get so thirsty! I hate waiting an hour before I can drink

I am happy to hear that drinking returns to more normal with time! But...as you are able to drink more, more quickly, do you still feel good restriction with food?

I am happy to hear that drinking returns to more normal with time! But...as you are able to drink more' date=' more quickly, do you still feel good restriction with food?[/quote']

I have restriction with food. Somedays it feels like I can eat a lot and some days I can't. Sleeves are temperamental like that. I can drink more and more quickly but honestly, I was never a "chug-a-lug" girl to begin with.