Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best Airline for Larger People

1. Quietly and calmly open up your laptop case.

2. Remove your laptop.

3. Turn it on.

4. Make sure the guy next to you can see the screen.

6. Close your eyes and tilt your head up to the sky.

7. Then hit this link

HAHAHAHHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!! The best!!!:clap2:

Ohhhh, sprinklers! That's right, the book also discusses that and they found that in a fire the sprinklers would go far to help someone but the costs are indeed, prohibitive.

The shoulder harness theory is still being discussed in detail. The difference in safety does warrent the cost but they just don't want to go to the expense.

While I was still working as an aircraft mechanic, they did a study on repositioning the passenger seats so that the seats face backward. This relocation would be more helpful in case of a crash than shoulder-lap belts, and would not add any weight nor cost any money as shoulder-lap belts would. The reversal of seat position could be accomplished at base overhaul when all the seats are removed to gain access to the guts and frame of a plane, and the seats would just be put back in backwards.

However, a survey of passengers revealed that people did not want to ride backwards in a plane (go figure).

Just before I left the industry (right after and because of 911), there was a multi-billion dollar upgrade of the entire US commercial aircraft fleet for nothing. Sam Donaldson of WABC news got a bug up his butt and broadcast a show as part of the Prime Time Live series about fires in the cargo compartment and although only one plane in US aviation history had a fatal crash because of cargo compartment fires, the constant bombardment of the public by replaying the Prime Time episode 3 times was enough to bring pressure on the FAA for it to order the retrofit of all planes.

The only plane that did have a fatal crash, was the Valujet plane that was illegally transporting oxygen generators. Oh, by the way, the modification that was ordered and implemented by the aviation industry would not have prevented the Valujet crash (I will supply details if anyone wants).

Plane Type: 757

Safest Seat: Seats 10A and 10F. Though these are window seats, there are no 9A and 9F seats to block your escape, and the exit doors are just a couple of feet in front of you.

Plane Type: 747

Safest Seat: Rows 61 through 64, closest to the window. The 747 tapers near the rear, and as a result, there are no window seats in those rows, just extra space to help you relax during a flight…and escape in a crash.

Plane Type: MD80

Safest Seat: Rows 21 and 22 have an extra eight inches of legroom because they are near the emergency exits. And they're far away from the engines, which are in the rear of this plane.

Plane Type: 737

Safest Seat: As far rear as possible.

For safety records of each individual airline and airplane type, check out airsafe.com. For seating charts, check out seatguru.com.

I always laugh at these generalized articles, because while they are generally correct, they are sometimes misleading. The airline I worked for had 747's and the highest row number was 58 in one configuration and 53 in another. We never had over 60 rows.

Some airlines have 1st class upstairs and all coach on the main deck, so they have the most rows on the main deck. Some airlines have first class downstairs and with the bigger seats and more space between seats, they have less rows on the main deck, while some airlines have first class downstairs, followed by business class (or some other name for better than or more expensive than coach) which also has bigger seats with more space between seats, and therefor the least amount of rows.

lol....why would you need both?? ROTFL...most of the time I see no reason for one! :eek:

Ya know, you *do* make an excellent point! :heh:

Thanks for the info everyone! Work has been insane so I haven't had time to really sit down and decide anything yet but hope to this weekend. Dh is thinking (again) that we should drive and enjoy the freedom to go anywhere so who knows what will happen. I'm just ready for the summer and getting out of the office for a while!

While I was still working as an aircraft mechanic,
Ok TOM, correct me if I'm wrong (you mentioned riding backward on a plane, which brought an old memory up) -- but I could swear that once as a child, flying to Missouri from California - and probably on PSA, I sat facing my parents. False memory, or did domestic flights used to have such seating configurations?

Ok TOM, correct me if I'm wrong (you mentioned riding backward on a plane, which brought an old memory up) -- but I could swear that once as a child, flying to Missouri from California - and probably on PSA, I sat facing my parents. False memory, or did domestic flights used to have such seating configurations?
Some planes did have lounges with card tables were people sat facing each other, and some planes had lounges where there was no table, but people sat facing each other . Some Lockheed L1011's had seats that rotated 360 degrees in first class so that people could converse or play cards with the people in the row behind them.

There may have been other instances that I am unaware of. Trains and buses have on occasion had seats either facing inboard or both to the front and alternately to the rear.

The only plane that did have a fatal crash, was the Valujet plane that was illegally transporting oxygen generators. Oh, by the way, the modification that was ordered and implemented by the aviation industry would not have prevented the Valujet crash (I will supply details if anyone wants).

Wasn't the requirement post 9/11 that the cockpit doors be reinforced virtually the same thing - useless? Sure....a terrorist could no longer kick in that little cardboard door to gain entry to the cockpit, but what about the rest of the adjacent wall? Couldn't he move over a couple of feet and kick THAT in?

Wasn't the requirement post 9/11 that the cockpit doors be reinforced virtually the same thing - useless? Sure....a terrorist could no longer kick in that little cardboard door to gain entry to the cockpit, but what about the rest of the adjacent wall? Couldn't he move over a couple of feet and kick THAT in?
That would vary from plane to plane.

On some planes, DC9's and MD80's, for example, the walls on either side of the cockpit are full of electronic components on metal racks. Those walls are not going anywhere.

I do not want to say anymore, because I would hate to find out that a terrorist learned something from reading what I wrote here at LBT.

I wonder if terrorists need Lap-Bands.:eek:

I just flew delta and it was horrible. Stay away from the newer airplanes as they have accessories that are in bad places for larger people. I actually had to get a whole bunch of pillows to pad the seat up to get the radio controls out of my leg on the 5 hour flight from Atlanta. It was singularily the worst flight I have ever had.

I did have a good friend who travelled for work and is a big guy himself recommend the older airplanes. Boeing 737-300's are good since they still have wider seats without the frills. Also, do not make the mistake I did. I requested an emergency exit row since in addition to my waist line, I am also 6'4" tall, to the extra legroom would be nice. It turns out that you cannot raise the seat arms on the emergency exit rows for some stupid reason.

I wish you luck!

Dave

I flew Delta four times this last week and cannot say enough good about their service. The staff and flight crew were wonderful, they helped with my luggage, help me measure medications, arranged seating so I would be comfortable, met me at the curb and at each plane with a wheelchair, checked on me several times during flights and layovers. I flew coach and their service was better than any first class I've ever had on any other airline. As I said in my earlier post I will stick with Delta. I'm sorry to hear someone had a bad flight, it cold happen on any flight. For me their track record stills stands on TOP.

I like delta or american. Or Virgin Atlantic even better if you plan on visiting the old country. I miss Wales so... (I spent a year there). I have never needed an extended but once the seatbelt was tight.

When I travel I like to carry my handy campanion with me, [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Worst-Case-Scenario-Survival-Handbook/dp/B000977UKC/ref=pd_sim_b_1/002-6222209-8012036?ie=UTF8&qid=1175061362&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Worst Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Travel: Joshua Piven, David Borgenicht: Books[/ame]

I also suggest having other disaster survival handbooks with you. This lets fellow travelors know that you are serious (and have the instructions for how to land a plane in the case of an emergency). (Cackling under your breath also helps with space) Of course, now that I fly with DH I feel a little more comfortable. He has a private pilots liscense. I think that between my handbooks and his experience we just might land that plane if we needed to :)

1. Quietly and calmly open up your laptop case.

2. Remove your laptop.

3. Turn it on.

4. Make sure the guy next to you can see the screen.

6. Close your eyes and tilt your head up to the sky.

7. Then hit this link

oh that is hilarious!!! I just read it and I laughed outloud....I love that.

:) becky