Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did it take to get your band?

Just wondering, from the time you started looking into the lap band and you decided to get one how long did it take you to get your surgery? I am pretty sure I want to get one however I still have a lot of research to do. But I am just wondering what the normal time span is. When could I expect to be able to get surgery if I decide to do so?

Completely depends. Depends on if you are going to be self-pay or you need insurance to pay. Also depends on your surgeon's schedule and his/her pre-op requirements. Then it depends on getting those appointments for the pre-op stuff out of the way.

My insurance requires a minimum of 12 months of MD supervised weight loss and 5 years documentation of being 100+ lbs overweight, and other things. They will NOT accept letters or records from Weight Watchers, etc. It must be MD supervised and I must have 10 documented visits in those 12 months.

Other insurance is only 6 months, some is only 3. Some WILL accept letters from your MD about your weight and loss attempts. If you are going the insurance route, I strongly advise you call them RIGHT away, now, today. Most companies have case managers who deal exclusively with things like bariatric surgery claims. Ask if your company has one and talk to that person. They will know what will and won't be accepted. Ask for them to mail you a copy of the information in writing.

If you are self-pay, then you just have to choose a surgeon, find out what the cost is and get it together and also find out what that surgeon requires for pre-op consultations. I suppose there is a possibility if you are self-pay and the doc has an opening in his schedule and he doesn't require many pre-op clearances from other docs you could potentially get it in a couple of months.

See why it's sooooo hard to answer this question?

Good Luck!!! :)

Depends on scheduling availabilty for the surgery as well as your insurance and surgeon requirements. I went to initial information session on 8/11/06, first consult with surgeon 9/11 and was approved my insurance company on 9/20. I could probably have had surgery by early November after psy eval and nutrition and behavior mod class (also depends on what surgery dates they have open) but because of my work, I did not have until mid January. Was easier for me to be away from work during that time.

I thought about WLS for several years. Went to seminar Feb.2007, misc. appointments, consults, etc....and should be banded late March2007....

LESS THAN 60 DAYS--SELF PAY!!!

Just wondering, from the time you started looking into the lap band and you decided to get one how long did it take you to get your surgery? I am pretty sure I want to get one however I still have a lot of research to do. But I am just wondering what the normal time span is. When could I expect to be able to get surgery if I decide to do so?

I went to see my Surgeon the First week of Dec 2006. My PCP and I decided on this surgery for me the week before. I had another surgery already scheduled for the end of Dec so I decide to hold off on scheduling appointments for the psyc and nutrionist until after my other surgery. I completed these appointment by the the second week of Jan. 2007 and had ins aproval within the week and surgery scheduled for 1/31. probably could have had it sooner had I done the the prework sooner.

I was Self-Pay in Houston and went in to meet surgeon on a Saturday and had the surgery 6 days later. No pre-op testing required for me. It's been 6 weeks now and down 23 Lbs!