Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

band removal

...I prefer it to be given over two hours to prevent Redman's.

Faithmd... you are my new hero. ;o) Seriously, I wish all docs looked at this as you do.

Vancomycin levels do not necessarily need to be checked every third dose. The first check is usually a trough prior to the fourth dose and thereafter for patients on long-term therapy there is little consensus. Some doctors will order trough levels every few days throughout vancomycin treatment. Some will order both trough and peak concentrations at regular intervals. Many do not feel that general monitoring is necessary and will only order the tests on patients who have decreased kidney function and on those who are not responding to treatment as expected.

No, they don't need to be checked q3rd dose but this gal is a prime example of why it isn't a bad idea. Most docs I work with do order Peaks & Troughs q3d dose. I prefer that myself. It's part of the anal-retentive part of my personality. ;o)

Mrs. D, I suggest you also ask about washing the wound with Hibiclens (chlorhexidine gluconate) and applying Bactroban (mupirocin) to it twice daily. Those are the treatments of choice in a patient who turns MRSA positive to kill the bugs externally.
Will Zyvox give her any hope at keeping her band? Is it a possibility? I'm very familiar with it in your standard patient but with an implant, could it work?

I don't know if it will help or not. I don't recall if she said she is testing MRSA positive in her blood, or only in her wound. I know she said her wound has MRSA in it, but I wonder if she's got it systemically as well. Zyvox is a great idea and certainly is an excellent line of defense. Especially if Vanco isn't doing it's job. Seems to me that as long as she doesn't have systemic MRSA and isn't critically ill from it, that it would be a really good idea to try the Zyvox before removing the band. And could she not just have her port removed for a while if the Zyvox doesn't help? (Rather than removing the whole band.) Also, some studies say that resecting the areas that are infected with MRSA is enough to get rid of it. If they removed the port and resected the infected tissue, then treated her for a bit with a big-gun antibiotic and after it is clear, replaced her port, then that might save the band. Just a thought.

I would suggest if she can get in to see a good infectious disease MD that would be the best idea. But I realize that in countries with socialized medicine, that might be nearly impossible.

Certainly I have seen folks with hip implants and such who develop MRSA in those wounds and they don't have to have the hip removed. But then again, the port is much closer to the surface of the skin and is removable, as opposed to a joint necessary for walking. :) :crutch:

I don't know if it will help or not. I don't recall if she said she is testing MRSA positive in her blood, or only in her wound. I know she said her wound has MRSA in it, but I wonder if she's got it systemically as well. Zyvox is a great idea and certainly is an excellent line of defense. Especially if Vanco isn't doing it's job. Seems to me that as long as she doesn't have systemic MRSA and isn't critically ill from it, that it would be a really good idea to try the Zyvox before removing the band. And could she not just have her port removed for a while if the Zyvox doesn't help? (Rather than removing the whole band.) Also, some studies say that resecting the areas that are infected with MRSA is enough to get rid of it. If they removed the port and resected the infected tissue, then treated her for a bit with a big-gun antibiotic and after it is clear, replaced her port, then that might save the band. Just a thought.

Going by memory here...

She's had it for 14 months so I am assuming it is not systemic or she is not critically ill.

I thought about removing the port only but wasn't sure that was wise considering it is MRSA. I just wasn't sure so I didn't mention it.

Sooooo... when are YOU going to be banded!!??!!?? Details?

Sorry, just added another couple of lines to my post above.

I have my surgical consultation on 3/20, hopefully it will be soon after that.

I just reread your earlier post, I'm not a doc (though I regularly fight with them). I am a critical care RN and paramedic.

Sorry, just added another couple of lines to my post above.

I have my surgical consultation on 3/20, hopefully it will be soon after that.

I just reread your earlier post, I'm not a doc (though I regularly fight with them). I am a critical care RN and paramedic.

Ahhh, the MD part of your ID fooled me. I fight with 'em too, someone has to.

The more minds working together the better. Anything to save a band, right? ;o)

The MD are my last two initals of my name. Faith M---- D---- :)

I've used it as a sign in for as long as I can remember, throws many folks. Although I have always wanted to go to med school.

The MD are my last two initals of my name. Faith M---- D---- :)

I've used it as a sign in for as long as I can remember, throws many folks. Although I have always wanted to go to med school.

Well, when you lose weight you'll have energy you didn't know existed. SO GO! Go to medical school!

hI, I have been on to the hospitol this morning. Things could be positive. I have to see my gp to ask for this medication. Only prob they tell me is the cost but I dont care i will pay if i have to.

Thanks again.

Mrs D.

Hi ,

Just wondered if anyone has had their band removed.

I have mrsa IN my port wound. :think I have had it now for 14months. :heh: I have had my ups and downs. At the moment I am down.:think The mrsa is getting the better of me. :angry Doc says that It will only go away if band is removed. I am so upset about this.:think

Wondered if anyone has had similar problems.

Mrs D.

I WAS BANDED 12/31/05. I STARTED UNCONTROLLABLE BELCHING WITH GASTRITIS IN OCTOBER THAT WOULD NOT HEAL. THE Fluid WAS TAKEN OUT OF MY BAND FOR SEVERAL MONTHS. I AM MISERABLE WITH THIS CONSTANT BELCHING NOT TO MENTION EXTREMELY EMBARRASSED. THE GI DR GAVE UP AND SENT ME BACK TO MY BAND SURGEON. MY ONLY OPTION. REMOVAL. MY BAND WAS REMOVED 2/27/07 AFTER LOSING ONLY 60 LBS, DEFINITELY NOT MY GOAL BUT HALFWAY THERE. I'M LOST. I'M TERRIFIED. I FEEL ALONE. THIS WEEK HAS BEEN MISERABLE. THEY MAKE YOU GO THROUGH COUSELING AND TESTING TO HANDLE YOUR NEW LIFE, BUT THEN THEY TAKE IT FROM YOU AND JUST TOSS YOU OUT AND TELL YOU, EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE. THE GOOD NEWS IS. IT WILL BE. YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT. GET THAT BAND OUT. I FEEL BETTER TODAY THAN YESTERDAY. I'M STILL SCARED, BUT MY FAMILY IS SUPPORTIVE. WE WILL MAKE IT THROUGH. YOUR TEARS WILL FALL, TOO. BUT LOOK AT HOW FAR YOU HAVE COME. PLEASE TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. I AM A NURSE AND THE BAND IS NOT WORTH THE CHANCE YOU ARE TAKING WITH THE MRSA. GOOD LUCK TO YOU.

The MRSA was not caused by your band, it is a hospital aqcuired infection. Sorry this happened to you. Take care of yourself.

The MRSA was not caused by your band, it is a hospital aqcuired infection. Sorry this happened to you. Take care of yourself.

Hi Thanks for your kind throughts. I have an appointment with the surgeon on Wednesday to discuss removal of my band.. ectMrs D

Hey MrsD

Sorry to hear about your MRSA. I have had it since May 2006 and was hospitalized for 4 days in October. I almost lost my arm as it was very near the joint.

It lives in your nose once you get it, and pretty much hangs around on you afterwards. Often, it is acquired in a hospital, but here in the US, it has become common as a community acquired infection. I got mine from the gym, which is a common place to pick it up in non-immuno compromised patients.

I had a Vanco drip but they did a central line with me. They didn't do vanco as a peripheral IV because it does give your veins a tough time. I also had a round of Zyvox. It is $100 a pill here in the US so my Rx was like $1500 and it wasn't covered by my insurance.

Once you get rid of it, I would do a google search and find a MRSA forum kind of like this one. The big thing is not re-infecting yourself. Doing things like wiping everything down with Clorox wipes, washing your pillowcases very frequently, changing your razor blades, NOT SHARING personal items with family members... all help.

Let me know if you have any questions or just want to commiserate. I feel your pain, literally....

Hey MrsD

Sorry to hear about your MRSA. I have had it since May 2006 and was hospitalized for 4 days in October. I almost lost my arm as it was very near the joint.

It lives in your nose once you get it, and pretty much hangs around on you afterwards. Often, it is acquired in a hospital, but here in the US, it has become common as a community acquired infection. I got mine from the gym, which is a common place to pick it up in non-immuno compromised patients.

I had a Vanco drip but they did a central line with me. They didn't do vanco as a peripheral IV because it does give your veins a tough time. I also had a round of Zyvox. It is $100 a pill here in the US so my Rx was like $1500 and it wasn't covered by my insurance.

Once you get rid of it, I would do a google search and find a MRSA forum kind of like this one. The big thing is not re-infecting yourself. Doing things like wiping everything down with Clorox wipes, washing your pillowcases very frequently, changing your razor blades, NOT SHARING personal items with family members... all help.

Let me know if you have any questions or just want to commiserate. I feel your pain, literally....

Hi Thanks for your throughts. I am allergic to Vanco i had it go through my veins and they od me on it. I then became very ill. I cant get Zyvox as yet but am trying really hard.I have had mrsa now for 1 year 3months. Been in and out of hospitol tryed loads of alternative remidies, including the Honey from New Zealand.But still have mrsa. and very ill.Fay

Mrs D, I'm so sorry about what's happening to you.

Here are a couple of ideas, and you can find these on the BBC online news site:

The head of the Materials and Testing Lab which provides testing for the NHS says that the use of silver impregnated dressings should become standard when dealing with MRSA. You could consider getting a high quality colloidal silver from a health shop to take internally and externally. This stuff saved my son's life (although he was left crippled) after months of IV antibiotics failed to work. You can PM me for details about dosages if you want.

Also a University of Manchester test found that there are three essential oils that kill MRSA in three minutes and one is longer lasting. The article didn't say which oils, however, that should be fairly easy to find out.

I'm certainly not suggesting you forgo the antibiotics, however, with a bit of extra help you may be able to save your band.

All the best with this.