Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Work out advice appreciated

Hi everyone

I started out walking in the cemetery and park, a mile per day. Last week I joined the local gym and have been doing the treadmill and bike. I have had trouble with shin splints so I didn't do the treadmill last night but did five miles on the bike. I really don't know how to use any of the Nautilus equipment and they don't have trainers. The elliptical kicks my butt, can't do but a few minutes. I ordered a step aerobics DVD, I'm not brave enough to go to a Zumba class yet. Any suggestions appreciated.

Do your cardio first thing in the morning if you can. Try to get 20-40min. I find that gets me burning all day long!

Don't get hung up on what kind youre doing or what machine you're on, if youre sweating, youre doing great! If the higher intensitry stuff is too much right now, stick to the bike. Showing up is what's most important. Don't set up hurdles for yourself. Make it a routine that you cant imagine breaking. Your body will adapt and improve and before you know it, you can start blending in a couple minutes of higher intensity machines.

I started bike only and now I do 20 on the bike followed by 10-20 on a skiier or stair climber. Those things HURT!

There's a reason the elliptical kicks your butt ... IT'S HARD! ... and isn't that the point? It is testing your fitness level. DON'T LET IT WIN BY GIVING UP!

Ok, enough with the gym spaz talk. But seriously, I would go back to the elliptical. Just use the manual settings and take it easy. If you are getting your butt kicked, you are putting in too much effort. Just like running, you should be able to have a conversation whilst doing it. If you can't then you need to dial it back. The elliptical is a great, low/no impact activity to build your endurance and get your fitness to a level where you feel comfortable doing other things. The great thing about it is you also get to watch how the seasoned folk use the other equipment, since there are no trainers. You could still ask the person at the front desk about the availability of someone to show you how to use the equipment. I've been a member of many different gyms of varying sizes and they all had someone who would show you how to operate a piece. You can always write down the manufacturer, model and name of the piece and YouTube it. Don't let not knowing how to use something keep you from doing it.

But, the elliptical. Get on it. 20 minutes to start. Add 5 minutes each week or so until you can go for 45 minutes. Then add resistance, notching it up each week till you can go at, say, level 6 for 45 minutes. I also like the interval training program as it really gets my heart rate up.

I really don't know how to use any of the Nautilus equipment and they don't have trainers.

Just go stand near any of the Nautilus machines and wait until someone starts to use it. After they finish using it, ask them if they can show you how to use it. Most people at most gyms are glad to help out someone just starting. I've helped out many beginners over the years.

But, the elliptical. Get on it. 20 minutes to start. Add 5 minutes each week or so until you can go for 45 minutes. Then add resistance, notching it up each week till you can go at, say, level 6 for 45 minutes. I also like the interval training program as it really gets my heart rate up.

Okay, so I do the elliptical and we have a love/hate relationship. I really do love it but when I'm on it I pretty well hate it. When I started doing it I could only go for about 3 mintues at a time. I would add 30 seconds to a minute each day that I did it. Now I have been sporatic with it (I'm also trying to do couch to 5K now that the weather is nicer) but I am up to 20 HARD minutes on it. I usually vary my intensity throughout the workout but stay at least at a 13 minute mile pace. I do push myself during the workout and most of the time I can sort of carry on a conversation with my son who like to watch me exercise. Usually by the 15 minute mark though I'm running him out of the room cause he is asking questions and I just don't have the breath to answer them! I am almost 7 months out but I have, just within the last month, really gotten serious about my exercising. I do cardio at least 6 days a week, 7 if I really push it. I usually do Couch to 5K on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday and then my elliptical on Monday, Wednesday and Friday (Friday is my one break day if I am going to take one). I also have added in some resistance training 3 days a week. I do all of my resistance training on the same day and then I don't do resistance training two days in a row to give my muscles time to rest and build (some people like to work out a certain muscle group one day and then a different set the next day). You build muscle when you rest it so it is important not to over work your muscles day after day. I don't go to a gym. I do everything either outside or in my house. I do have a few sets of dumbbells that I use but I also do some stuff with just my body weight as resistance. You can find some really good stuff out there if you will do some research. I like reading on NerdFitness.com, he has some good workouts and some good tips. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice everyone. I did ten miles on the bike yesterday and felt really good about that. The gym is only open 1-3 today and if it isn't crowded I'm going to do some ellipitical today also.

Depending on your physical level and possible injuries, the ellipticals may be painful or dangerous. I have a back problem and the up/down motion of the elliptical (combined with all the weight), makes my disk fire on the nerves after a short period of time and my left leg goes numb.

The bike immobilizes the spine to some extent while still letting me work those big muscle groups in my legs and get a good sweat going. Bikes also come in a recumbant option to further alleviate certain stresses.

I think as the weight comes off, everyones goal should be to get to the higher intensity ellipticals. But be smart and listen to the the body you have today, with its current limitations. An injury at this point might keep you out of the gym for 3-4 weeks!

The elliptical kicks my butt, can't do but a few minutes.

You probably just need to go slower on the elliptical, or use less resistance. You should be able to talk normally while on it, and it it kicks your butt in a few minutes, you're overdoing it. The best benefits will come from working at a comfortable pace. Work your way up to 45 minute sessions. Once you reach that point you should come back on here and research High-intensity interval training (HIIT), also called High-Intensity Intermittent Exercise (HIIE) or Sprint Interval Training (SIT). But don't do that right at first. Just keep working your way up to 45 minutes or so.

What about a rowing machine? I do 20 on that and 30 on the elliptical. I really enjoy them both, my first experience on an elliptical was very brief and I was quite convinced I was going to die. It is definitely finding your rhythm and changing the intensity to suit ur needs.