Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! 4 month Plateau !

Hi everyone.. I'm really at my wits end.... Since June I've only lost 4lbs. I had my surgery Nov 2012 and I've lost 101lbs. I still weight 232lbs and still have a good bit to lose. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong??? low carbs, no carbs, high carbs any and everything I can think of to break this plateau.. I have really upped my exercise routine , cycling , pilates, walking, jogging, Curves for women etc. I must admit July and Aug I did very little if any exercise but since the first of Sept. I've been really faithful to dly exercise. (5x a week) . I could see a plateau for this long if I was close to my goal, but umm I still weight 232lbs. I have dropped inches and a size in clothes, but I NEED to see the scales moving ... staying around 1500 calories a day and normally burn around 600 calories a day in exercise ... I was eating 1000 cal dly and that wasn't working, my husband thought I needed to up my calories so I did.. Please can anyone give this gal some advice??? Has anyone else plateaued this long , surely this isn't normal?? I mean really, I get my tummy taken out and still can't lose weight... For once in my life I would love to reach my goal weight... Thank you in advance for you help and advice... at this point I'm about to go nuts, I can almost taste 199lbs. I want to see the scales below 200 lbs SOOOO BAD...

As hard as it is, just stay with the program, without stress if possible (I am a stress eater). Consider the 5:2 plan, many pros swear by it... OR just go back to liquids only for a week or two to clean out the system and start anew. You WILL succed, and you have done GREAT so far!!!

I was always big in high school and then I lost 125lb's. I also had a long period where I didn't lose any weight around 240. Now that I have put all that weight back on I am expecting the same result after my sleeve on the 24th.

What you have to do is keep on track. Your body is still adjusting to the weight loss. Also you maybe putting on a little more muscle, witch will make it appear you are not losing on the scale. Just keep it up because once that needle starts moves again it will be coming off just like it was before.

Drink H2O - constantly. This will help more than you can imagine.

Thank u all for the advice and encouragement.. I will admit this, I don't drink hardly any Water, I didn't mean to leave that out in my initial plea for help. LOL.. I'm doing really good if I get 30oz a day ... I know, I know!!! But surely H20 isn't the problem???? Could it be as simple as water? I don't see how? but with that being said, I am going to make a valid effort up my intake of water..

Thank you so much for the Link Bigbeaz... very good read.... Sipping Water now..... Maybe this has been my culprit !!!!!

You're very welcome.

Thank you so much for the Link Bigbeaz... very good read.... Sipping Water now..... Maybe this has been my culprit !!!!!

Water is also essential for lipolysis which is how fat is mobilized.

I think if you provided your carbs, Protein and total calories or specific meals people might give more specific advice too. Also since you are working out and likely gaining muscle, are you tracking inches? Are your clothes fitting differently?

I totally agree with drinking lots of Water. Now personally I have never lost weight eating 1500 calories this sounds like a lot. I currently am drinking a lot of water, also doing no fat(which I have been against in the past) and keep my calories around 1000-1200 and it is working. My water consumption is more than 96 ounces a day.

When I was 4 months out I hit a stall that lasted 3 weeks. I kinda freaked out too. I was afraid that was all I was going to lose. But I just kept doing what I was doing and it passed. Now I am cloe to 5 months out and have lost another 7 lbs since then. I was eating 800 cal and I upped my cal to 1000. Of course with my workouts I am only taking in like 600 to 800 . Just hang in there. It will pass.

Your exercise routine sounds like a lot of cardio? Cardio is great but I find that the more I do weights and strength training, the more I lose. You might try adding some of that in if you aren't already.

Oh and I agree with the Water advice. Another thing I didn't use to believe in, but I definitely lose more when I am on track with my water! Good luck to you.