Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So who do you support?

For President in '08, that is. Those candidates that are confirmed to be running or those that are highly likely to throw in their hats, please. Please don't bash anyone's favorite candidate. Explanations for why you do or don't support a particular candidate would be nice, also, instead of just saying "I don't like them" or "McCain". Hopefully, we can get a nice, civil discussion going (I put it in RnR just to be on the safe side).

As most of you know, I am a Democrat. Personally, from what I have read about the Democratic candidates, I think Senator Biden seems to fit my beliefs the best. I think he is experienced, well-spoken, and appealing to a wider range of voters than some of the other Democratic candidates.

My personal choice would be Hillary, but I don't think she is electable. Same for Obama.

Hillary is smart, experienced, level-headed, and very middle-of-the-road. (Remember that she was once a Republican.) Hillary Clinton is the most conservative Democrat on the horizon, and I am basically a conservative Democrat.

She doesn't come from old money or big business, so I think she's got fewer debts to pay back, if you know what I mean. :biggrin1:

Edwards is a no-go. The Democratic party couldn't sell him the last time around and I don't think they can sell him this time.

McCain just doesn't seem to believe strongly in anything. He's a nice guy and all, but just doesn't light my fire.

So I'm officially on the fence right now.

It will be an interesting election, indeed. This is the first election in our lifetime without an incumbent in the race (unless any of you were around more than 80 years ago, of course) and the field is quite full at this point. It will an interesting one, to be sure.

I am a registered independent, which means I don't get to vote in the primaries, but I still certainly like to keep track of who is lining up to run in each of the various parties. I was curious as to just how many official and potential candidates there are right now and here is how the field is starting to shape up.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2008

Candidates who have filed with the FEC for the Democratic Party:

Candidates who have formed exploratory committees, but not yet filed with the FEC:

Individuals who have expressed serious interest:

Individuals frequently mentioned as possible candidates:

Note: Although Al Gore has been widely discussed as a possible candidate, and has not categorically ruled out a possible candidacy, he has stated on a number of occasions that he is not interested: "I have no intention to run for president. I can't imagine in any circumstance to run for office again." Despite rumors that he would announce his candidacy during the 79th Academy Awards on February 25, 2007, during an appearance on stage Gore acted as if he were about to do so, only to be "played off stage" as part of the joke.[5].

Note: Former Governor Tom Vilsack of Iowa was a presidential candidate from November 30, 2006 to February 23, 2007, who withdrew due to a lack of funds.[6]

[edit] Republican Party

Main article: Official and potential 2008 United States presidential election Republican candidates

Candidates who have filed with the FEC for the Republican Party:

Candidates who have formed exploratory committees, but not yet filed with the FEC:

Individuals who have expressed serious interest:

[edit] Third parties

Main article: Official and potential 2008 United States presidential election third party candidates

[edit] Constitution Party

Actively pursuing or interested in candidacy for the Constitution Party (United States):

[edit] Green Party

[edit] Libertarian Party

Official candidates who have filed with the FEC for the Libertarian Party:

Announced candidates:

Actively pursuing or interested in candidacy:

[edit] Reform Party

Actively pursuing or interested in candidacy for the Reform Party (United States):

[edit] Other parties and independent candidates

Actively pursuing or interested in candidacy

At this early stage, it is indeed quite the crowded field.

Al Gore is my dream candidate, has been since the mid-1980s. He's the only politician who displays continued conscience, wisdom, and good judgement, and who doesn't weigh every move and statement against his own personal ambition or gain. As time goes by he just impresses me more and more, and I'd love to see him get in the race this time. HE could bring dignity and integrity to the Oval Office, maybe for the first time in several decades.

If he doesn't run, Hillary is my next favorite. She has an insight into the Presidency that no one else could possibly match, and IMO she's incredibly smart and cares about the right things.

But next year at this time things could look very different. This is certainly a horse race!

Al Gore is my dream candidate, has been since the mid-1980s. He's the only politician who displays continued conscience, wisdom, and good judgement, and who doesn't weigh every move and statement against his own personal ambition or gain. As time goes by he just impresses me more and more, and I'd love to see him get in the race this time. HE could bring dignity and integrity to the Oval Office, maybe for the first time in several decades.

If he doesn't run, Hillary is my next favorite. She has an insight into the Presidency that no one else could possibly match, and IMO she's incredibly smart and cares about the right things.

If Al Gore decides to run, I'll definitely have to take a second look at who I would support.

I think Hillary would be a pretty good candidate. I actually think she was the brains behind a lot of the stuff that went on during Bill's presidency. She just rubs me the wrong way, sometimes, especially over Iraq.

I think Hillary would be a pretty good candidate. I actually think she was the brains behind a lot of the stuff that went on during Bill's presidency. She just rubs me the wrong way, sometimes, especially over Iraq.

I can certainly see where she'd rub people the wrong way--she's not the most personable of people. Recently I've actually been impressed by her refusal to "apologize" for her initial Iraq vote--saying that she didn't make a mistake, but the Administration did--is what I've been saying all along. As much as I was against this war from the very start, and as dismayed as I was when Congress voted to authorize it, I had to believe they were being shown information that made it the right thing to do. The American people might have had the knee-jerk reaction out of fear, but Congress needs evidence and they were shown "evidence."

I'd rather think that they'd vote the same way again, given the same information. It seems to me that a rep who says he'd make a different decision the second time, even under the exact same circumstances, is someone who doesn't know what he or she thinks. And that's essentially what the "I made a mistake" crowd (read: Edwards) is saying. Hillary certainly regrets her vote, as well she should, but I think it's unfair to say it was a wrong vote. They were lied to. That's what is unforgivable.

Of course, people who were against the war from the start are really my standard-bearers. But I want someone who can win this time.

Okay, gotta jump in here and say I'm voting Libertarian.

It's a protest vote, so it doesn't really matter who the Libertarians nominate...

I just don't really think there is a functional difference between the two big parties.

The majority of politicians in both parties want to raise taxes, increase spending, make war, offer their corporate and special-interest buddies some tax breaks and give big speeches all while eroding the Bill of Rights.

No thanks, I'll "waste" my vote... ;D

As fat people, we should all support Al Gore.:faint:

Hey, if we're looking to support the tubby, then Richardson is your choice.

I grew up in New Mexico and have been lulled into hypnosis by his flopping jowls. He has lost some weight in order to run, but he's a pudgy guy (his gubanatorial chef has told of his love for Cookies....).

_38676647_richardson_150ap.jpg

As of right now, and this could change of course as the election draws near and candidates start getting culled out.....I think I'd have to go with Hillary. It may be an unpopular choice with a lot of people but I agree with Carlene...Hillary is a conservative Democrat and she is smart and I honestly feel she would do what was good for the people of this country and not what was good for her party. It seems so many are wanting to do what is good for the party anymore. Besides, I was a big Bill fan and would get a kick out of Bill being the "First Man". LOL.

But then I think that if Al Gore was to all of a sudden be thrust into this thing...who knows. Hell, I wish I could run! But then I don't think a lot of countries who we cater to and pamper would appreciate me.

Just my thoughts.............