Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So what do you eat

So how different is eating after the ban? I have read that you are on a liquid diet before and after the ban is that correct? What about after that?

:hungry:

I haven't had my operation yet (MONDAY! :eek: ) but SOME doctors put you on a liquid diet before the operation (not all) and you're on a liquid diet for a few weeks afterwards while waiting to heal. Most people are eating "real food" 3-4 weeks post op from what I've read.

I was not on a liquid diet before the band and on one for 4 weeks after.

I'm well past a year with my band and the only thing thats changed with my eating is that I have to eat slow and chew well. Everything else is pretty much the same :myscared:

I agree, I pretty much eat regular food too. Granted it's healthier food than pre-band i.e., no processed or simple carbs or junk food. Otherwise, I only have to be careful with foods which I know don't go down well for me like dry chicken and apple peels. But, unfortunately you'll have to discover which foods are not band-friendly for you by trial and error because we all seem to have different anti-band foods!

I went to Spivak's support group last night. There were a half dozen people there who had lost well over 100 pounds. I was shocked. The big losers were also aggressive dieters, eating around 600 calories a day, far less than I eat. I guess I have to decide if I have those aggressive goals. Here's a sample of a day's menu for these folks....

1/2 yogurt for breakfast-save the other half for a snack.< /p>

lettuce and tomatoes for lunch.

meat and vege for dinner.

no Snacks except that half yogurt

aerobic workout 5 days a week.

Have I been in the dark???? I eat twice that much per day and I can't imagine filling up on half a yogurt.

BetsyJane - wow that was shocking to me too - I guess that is why I haven't lost any weight! I can't imagine NOT losing weight on that amount of food. If the band kept me full/satisfied on that amount I'd be a toothpick by now. I am sort of with you - I'm not really willing to eat that small amount of food so I guess I will stay stuck where I am. Many bandsters here report eating 600 calories a day and say their doc told them to - so I guess that is what it looks like. If I were you i would try to eat as much as you can (not saying to stuff self) within 'reason' (say 1000 calories) and if you can lose weight - stay there and only change when / if it stops working.

My surgeon always said eat ONE THIRD less than before banding - I find I eat about 1/2 and I guess I ate over a ton of food prior cuz it 'aint' working for me. Bottom line - try a variety of things and see what works for you and what you can live with.

I had a liquid, clear, sugar free diet 2 days pre-op and (I think) 3 days post-op. From there it went to thick liquids like "cream of" Soups, yogurt, etc. From there soft mushies like refried Beans, wet tuna salad, cottage cheese. From there it was as tolerated.

Now - I could be missing a phase or two in there. It's amazing how quickly I"ve forgotten the basics (that I really should be going back to)

oh - i see I don't think I fully answered the question:

Pre op diet - one week of two slim fast shakes a day + a green salad with no dressing (or vinegar) for dinner. If extra hungry I could have another shake. This diet may last longer but I scheduled my surgery and only had one week to prepare.

Post op diet - 7 days of Clear Liquids followed by 21 days of full liquids and on day 22 start solids.

I went to Spivak's support group last night. There were a half dozen people there who had lost well over 100 pounds. I was shocked. The big losers were also aggressive dieters, eating around 600 calories a day, far less than I eat. I guess I have to decide if I have those aggressive goals. Here's a sample of a day's menu for these folks....

1/2 yogurt for breakfast-save the other half for a snack.< /p>

lettuce and tomatoes for lunch.

meat and vege for dinner.

no Snacks except that half yogurt

aerobic workout 5 days a week.

Have I been in the dark???? I eat twice that much per day and I can't imagine filling up on half a yogurt.

I just got my band so maybe my expectations are low, but I can't see me EVER being able to just eat 600 calories a day for the rest of my life. I'd rather lose slowly on something I can do FOREVER than live off yogurt.

JMHO.

I was just banded in Jan 07, so I would by far say I'm an expert on this. Before surgery I was VERY worried about not being able to eat good food and enjoy food ( my husband is a professional chef and we are both very much foodies). I find the biggest difference is I no longer want cheese burgers and fast food like I did, do I still have a bit of "bad" things like pop corn at the movies or a couple M&M's with the kids yes but I find it is still working for me, overall my choices have been MUCH better and I am just now getting to the point of feeling some real restriction. I have lost 25lbs in 8weeks and I am happy with that. Yes many people have lost more and been stricter with there choices but I think you need to find what works for you. If I was only eating 600 calories a day I would not have the energy to be active like I am and there for build muscle back up which then leads to more calorie burning. Any way I don't mean to be long winded but I think that it is possible to lose and live a normal life, I eat salmon, Salad's from McDonalds (grilled chk) Wendy's Chili, lot's of tuna and wheat thins for lunch, lots of fresh foods not processed. I have lost 10% of my body wieght with not a preop diet and very lienent post op diet, I have yet to feel hungry and believe that I made a great choice. I just wanted to add to the mix that there can be a "real" life after the band again I am not saying I am a pro and that I know how everyone is but this is my story.

[quote=BubbleButt;415421

tuna (Sensations) 5oz for lunch (130 cal)

Those things are going to be my lifesaver once I can eat "real food". I LOVE them. They have salmon too. For someone who doesn't cook, they are a dream come true :(

Those things are going to be my lifesaver once I can eat "real food". I LOVE them. They have salmon too. For someone who doesn't cook, they are a dream come true :(

I have never seen salmon Sensations.

I was raised Roman Catholic and EVERY single nasty disgusting Friday night (as kids we dreaded Friday nights) we had salmon patties. I swore that when I moved out of the house I would never again put a piece of salmon in my mouth. I'm 44 and I've been true to my promise. LOL

I have never seen salmon Sensations.

I was raised Roman Catholic and EVERY single nasty disgusting Friday night (as kids we dreaded Friday nights) we had salmon patties. I swore that when I moved out of the house I would never again put a piece of salmon in my mouth. I'm 44 and I've been true to my promise. LOL

LOL! My mother used to make this awful faux Chinese stuff. She faithfully gave me the recipe when I got married. 25 years later, I have NEVER made it :(

I don't think they're called Salmon Sensations but they are the same concept - a nice piece of fish in various sauces. I think I got a ginger one and a lemon dill the last time I did some REAL grocery shopping. They were in Walmart which here, is the biggest so-called grocery store we have. They were right next to the tuna. And much better than salmon patties (which I love, hehehe), IMO :)