Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Left scapula issue

Doctor diagnosed me with severe left scapula dysfunction today. Right scapula is fine. The issue is that the muscles are way to short around the left scapula, disrupting my thoracic (sp?) stability and lots of shoulder / neck issues. I will be starting PT on Monday for at least 6 weeks. It was caused by computer work for most of my adult career. Sitting too much and not paying attention to good ergonomics until the daily pain just had to stop a few months ago. It is good to know why my overhead lifting I do is so weak and lacks power. No real growth in strength in the overhead lifts in many months despite awesome nutrition, consistent lifting and good sleep. Lots of lifting through the pain in last 8 months as I thought it would go away. I am going to do PT at least 2x a week, but will continue to do my 4-5 cross fit sessions. Love them too much. I am going to start using rock tape more often over scapula region because it really seems to help a lot when I used it today when doing a lot of s n a t c h e s and shoulder to bar pull-ups. Actually felt good instead of usual upper back issues of achiness. I also got a new prescription from doc for inflammation, as needed, as current ibu 800 mg was not really doing much for me. Any other suggestions you have?

If you have already had the sleeve done you can not take anti-inflammatories. This will cause ulcers. Check with your doctors again.

I have disproven that myth a long time ago. :)

I have disproven that myth a long time ago. :)

Obviously talk to my surgeon... But out of curiosity how soon after surgery were you able to take ibuprofen? I had some issues this week and attempted Tylenol and it didn't even touch it, it was horrid I actually took a half of my leftover pain pills it was so bad. I was going to bring it up at my next appt. there are some things that only ibuprofen or Aleve will take care of.

I suggest accupuncture and a good chiropractor (get recommendations)

It truly is a shame that so many of the surgeons make things like no NSAIDS sound like a rule that will last forever. Everyone is different and everyone reacts differently to things this is why you should always find out what is safe to take from your own Dr.s who know your personal health and how to best treat you.

Fiddle sorry to hear about your injury, it is a shame that over the years so little has been emphasized about proper ergonomics despite the numerous studies and experiences that have shown what can happen. At least now you know the problem and hopefully the therapy will fix you up. Good Luck.

Obviously talk to my surgeon... But out of curiosity how soon after surgery were you able to take ibuprofen? I had some issues this week and attempted Tylenol and it didn't even touch it' date=' it was horrid I actually took a half of my leftover pain pills it was so bad. I was going to bring it up at my next appt. there are some things that only ibuprofen or Aleve will take care of.[/quote']

The surgeon said it was good to wait 6 months, to be out of the window of increased risk. I did. After month 6, I talked to them again about NSAIDs and the PA blessed taking them, just do the usual stuff like take with food. I only really take them when the pain is particularly aggravating.

I am happy that the PCP has clinically identified an issue and I can snuff this back pain out once and for all. He said no bulging disc issues or scoliosis issues. i was actually really impressed with the gambit of physical tests he had me do when diagnosing. And then it will be time to get back into the business of increasing upper body strength. It will be so nice to not have the constant energy drain of a tight scapula, shoulder and neck region. 6-8 weeks of PT. I can do this. It will be worth not having to fight the short muscles any longer. Another change I did this week was stopped using my expensive so-called ergo office chair. 300 bucks! Instead, I am now sitting in a straight back chair from our dining room that is pretty comfy with slight curve for lumbar and no arms. Laying on my acupressure mat every night also helps, but only in a temp way. A nice hot shower after working out helps tremendously. I am also researching and trying to implement some good scapula stretches.

What anti-inflammatory are you using? Ibuprofen isn't working for me. I have a script for Torodol. It works so well, but I'm a little bit afraid of it.

The anti-inflammatory is called piroxicam and I am prescribed 20 mg a day as needed. It is in the same family of pharmecuetical medicine as diclofenac and etodolac, neither of which my body responded to along with ibuprofen. I tried piroxicam yesterday for the first time and, yes, my body responded much better to it. Unfortunately, it made me a little tired and spacy in the head so will want to monitor if this is safe for driving with. 1 a day is all that is needed according to PCP.

What anti-inflammatory are you using? Ibuprofen isn't working for me. I have a script for Torodol. It works so well' date=' but I'm a little bit afraid of it.[/quote']

Torodol (ketorolac) does sound a little scary after reading the adverse side effects here:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketorolac

Other than that, the mechanism of action description reads like a typical NSAID.

Fiddle, wishing you a speedy recovery and hope all goes well. One question.....what prompted you to check on this? Just some pain and wanted to get to the bottom of what was causing it? Did you have any neck stiffness?

Oops.....I guess that was actually 3 questions....I got carried away. :) Just curious, I've had some mild neck stiffness and minor shoulder issues, but I've had it for years and it's mostly from my football days I think. Wondering if it's similar issues and seeking more specific symptoms of yours....

Fiddle' date=' wishing you a speedy recovery and hope all goes well. One question.....what prompted you to check on this? Just some pain and wanted to get to the bottom of what was causing it? Did you have any neck stiffness?[/quote']

I've always had an unusual amount of pain and stiffness in my thoracic spine region, ever since I can remember back to high school.

For me it is caused by long bouts of sitting (8-12 hours a day) and sitting in unnatural positions to look at screen and type.

For others, this can also be caused by sports long term west and tear where the shoulder is constantly in use. For example, throwing a football, throwing a baseball and serving a tennis ball.

It may also be caused by a sudden change in body weight distribution . The thoracic spine region muscles had to work so hard to balance out the weight I carried in chest and stomach, pulling them tight.

Now that the weight is gone and I am a fit 172, the muscles in the thoracic spine region are still over compensating, as if I still have the weight. So there are a number of causes for different people. I happened to fall into the obese computer programmer for most of my life, so did my posture no favors. Now I am trying to undo years of this.

Finally, I said to myself enough is enough (again) this week. It was holding me back in improving my OH strength and I am constantly uncomfortable, even when just doing normal every day things like sitting in a chair or walking. My family also pointed out that my left scapula was positioned funny. Finally, after procrastinating forever, I went to get it looked at this week by the PCP (hence the origin of this thread).

Honestly, I thought I could fix it myself (typical guy think) with enough mobility work and reading, rereading and implementing strategies from the Supple Leopard book by Kelly starett (highly recommended). Nope, did not fix it after trying for 8 months. However, it has improved. No doubt there. However, I just want to be on a level playing field with other athletes and constant pain, tightness, lack of mobility is no fun.

I am also tired of taking antiinflammatory meds for it. I have tried so many different types of RX and some herbs.

I blame it on years of bad posture when working at the computer and no attempts to stretch or do anything about it before getting in shape. Looking forward to the PT helping me fix these thoracic spine region issues once and for all.

As an aside, I think I also have serious anterior and posterior region issues that prevent the continuity of a deep squat over and over again without struggle. Probably will need to get the PCP to diagnose something there in order for PT to help me. The blessing of PCP really helps so I am not required to pay 100+ cash per hour to see a PT.

Thanks for sharing Fiddle. It sounds like you've taken a couple of steps towards getting better. Same here about sitting at a desk/computer all day. That's probably my #1 motivation for getting to the gym.....to get away from here for a bit and save my sanity. :) I've heard of some people/empoyers actually using stand up desks to improve spine issues, posture and overall health. My employer is not going to foot the bill for it, but if I knew it would help me, I would pay for it. My only other choice is to find a new job.....which I am looking a little. Thanks for the information and good luck with the recovery!