Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ahhhh...the draw of the bread (pre-opper musing)

My name is McButterpants, and I'm a breadaholic.

So, I've been really working hard on my diet in preparation for my surgery next month - trying to do more Protein and less carbs, incorporating shakes, monitoring portion sizes, etc. I've been really cutting back on bread, almost to the point of elimination. Bread has a particularly strong hold over me and have been doing well...until last night. The dreaded garlic bread.

I started my dinner with some grilled chicken which tasted really good and some baked Beans. I was satisfied. My husband cooked some fish and rice pilaf for him and my son, but I just couldn't stomach that last night for some reason. I wanted chicken and Beans. Well, he also picked up some garlic bread at the store. You know the kind, you warm it up in the oven and it fills the house with it's garlicky, yummy aroma.

I was drawn to that bread like an addict to crack. I had a little piece of the crusty end...my favorite part. Then I went back for another little slice. Then went back for a third! I told myself, "STOP!", but I really didn't want to. I went into the living room (which is open to the kitchen, very close to the drug, uh, I mean bread) and started to watch TV. I kept thinking about that fu&^ing bread. I wanted another slice and another slice after that. But I held strong and didn't go back.

It really bothered me...that I couldn't stop and I couldn't stop thinking about that stupid bread. I wasn't hungry any more. But I didn't feel upset or anxious about anything either. I think it was the telling myself "No more" that got to me and made me want it more.

Just another reason we also need to work on our brain during this process.

I used to be a breadaholic too. I gave up sugar about 12 years ago, but needed sleeve surgery because of course I learned to substitute others things, like bread, for my former sugar addiction.

I think you'll find though that after surgery, your tastes change. I am 5 months post op and haven't had any bread yet. To me now it just sounds like something Gummy that is just going to get stuck -- both going in and out (sorry, TMI, I know, but Constipation was a real problem in the early days).

'Course this doesn't mean I don't think about bread. It was my favorite thing. Went for Italian with friends last week. I sat and watched them dipping the white, fiber-free, pasty Italian bread in olive oil and all I could think was "that's 300 calories per slice, and I don't want have to put that in my MyFitnessPal food diary."

Give yourself a chance. You might find that your bread addiction goes away, or is not such a problem after sleeve surgery.

Good luck on your journey. It's going to be amazing!

I am starting to be more and more thankful for having celiac. When people eat gluten in front of me--bread, crackers, donuts, pizza, Pasta, I am thankful that I am not even tempted. Never. The pain of gluten is just not worth it. This week I am making a conscious effort NOT to buy the gluten-free versions of these foods, which are often laden in even more calories. SO the challenge is still there for me, but I am sure I'd weigh a hell of a lot more if I never developed Celiac.

McButterpants, thank you for telling my story about bread. I love bread, too. Give me some of that garlic olive loaf from costco and it's on, baby! It would talk to me as it sat under its cute little napkin on the restaurant table. "dinner won't be here for at least 2 more minutes ... sure, I'm the last piece in the basket, but the server can bring another FRESH batch of my friends." And God forbid if the waitress tries to take the basket when they remove the plates. "Hey, there's still bread in the basket! Leave that there, please."

Let's not even talk about Pasta ...

ohhh ... good Pasta with good bread ...

I am happy to report, though, I now have a MUCH better relationship with my carb laden former BFF's (bread friends forever). I can have a bite or two and am satisfied. I no longer am obsessed the way you describe.

It is so nice to have that burden lifted. Just one of the many miracles the sleeve has worked for me.

Edited by PdxMan

I am a breadaholic too! It's been...well...difficult BUT I find the longer I am without it, the better I am with not wanting it. Thankfully! I still have yet to go to Olive Garden, cuz I LOVE their breadsticks and not quite sure I could pass them up! I would rather bread than dessert!!! Anyway...if I at least KNOW what my downfall then maybe it'll be easier to overcome???? I think :wacko::o

PDXman - I'm laughing. "You better not remove that bread or you're going to draw back a bloody stump for an arm!!!!!"

I pray that my sleeve (Paco - that's my name for my sleeve) will be as good to me as the post-oppers here. Thanks for the words of encouragement!

"You better not remove that bread or you're going to draw back a bloody stump for an arm!!!!!"

OMG, isn't that the truth! I have given servers the same "look" I give my kids when they are doing something wrong and just like my kids, the server stops dead in their tracks.

"Oh, would you like me to leave the bread?"

"Oh, would you like me to leave the bread? "

"Do I look like I have ever...ever passed on the bread? So the answer is a resounding YES, leave that bread and please bring some more next time you come around."

Yeah, I love good bread too. So much so that at first, before I could tolerate the soft part, I would eat the crust only.

You just have to find the strategy that works for you. For me, I do not bring good bread into the house unless it's a special occasion and I think there will be enough people there to finish it at the meal. I eat it at restaurants but now that I can also drink I usually am busy having a cocktail before dinner then one slice of bread then dinner.

Lynda