Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crazy To Consider Plication?

Hello,

I am a 50 year old woman, 5'8" 200lbs. I've yo-yo dieted for over 20 years and no matter what program I do or how much money and time I spend on it, I'm never able to maintain it long term. When I take those questionnaires for which diets are right for you, my main problem is always "hunger". I have a hard time controlling my eating because it takes a lot to satisfy me. My sis and mom are both diabetics - starting in their 60s. We have a family history of depression and I've been taking medications and therapy for depression since my 30's. I spend a BIG amount of my time feeling defeated and bad about myself because I can't master my weight. I beat myself up a lot, pretty much every day in my head. My sister is considering Gastric Sleeve for herself as she is about 70 lbs overweight with the on-start of diabetes and high blood pressure.

So, my questions is, would I be crazy to consider getting Gastric Plication (at my own expense - I know insurance wouldn't consider me) to help me loss weight and control keeping it off for good this tim? The thought of living life with a chance to control my weight, be more active, feel better about my ability to keep it off and not be in a constant cycle of beating myself up would be a dream to me. Not to mention, perhaps staving off future weight related diseases like HBP or Diabetes. I've read that some people even lower or come off anti-depressants after they've maintained their healthy weight for a period of time.

Let me say that I have no other addictions, don't smoke, drink maybe a single glass of wine out for dinner once a month, no recreational drug use - I just eat too much. I don't even really boredom eat, I just need a LOT of food to fee satisfied at a meal. I've done therapy and would be comfortable doing counseling or support groups after the surgery as another key to the success.

I've read on the Cleveland Clinic website that they are now testing Plication as a tool for people who don't have great amounts to lose, but who need a smaller level of restriction. Does that make sense?

I hope someone will give me their opinions, I ask my question with sincerity and respect and while I may not seem overweight enough to do something like this, I've been on this roller coaster for so long I'm just demoralized at this point.

Thank you!

Theosmom

Hello and Welcome.

I'm 5'7 and weighed 221 lb when I decided to have plication. Personally, it truly is a decision you must make for yourself because only you will have the experience and outcome. But for me personally, it was the best decision I ever made. Going through not just the surgery, but the pre op diet, the post op liquid phase, to soft food phase, to regular food did something for me psychologically. It cleansed my palatte of all the junk I had been craving and it really allowed me the positive opportunity to be in control of what I eat. I lost 15 lbs with my surgery center's required pre op diet and weighed in at 206 the day of my procedure, last month, July 20th, and today, 1 month and 5 days later I have lost 17 lbs post plication. That is a total of 32 lbs that I no longer carry. I feel so much better, I am more limber, I can bend better and reach over and tie my shoe without turning blue in the face! All things I took for granted before my weight gain.

I hope this helps. The main thing to do is research the facility you are thinking of having your procedure at. Research the Doctor. Make sure s/he is qualified and experienced. Best of luck and keep in touch.

Hello!!

I just wanted to say that I completely understand, and you are not crazy.....I am 5'7 and I'm 180 now....I'm scheduled for the sleeve surgery on the 20th. I'm scared, excited and actually posted a note on here asking for any advise about it and got slammed twice that I basically should "work out' more instead. I ended up deleting my post!! I needed some encouragement and didn't get it. I'm so happy to see that "Newbie" took the time to be nice and supportive of your needs. I tried it all and at 52, I'm worried all of this will just continue to get so much worse..... and nothing seemed to work after I hit menopause and then I was attacked and was put on several meds for PTSD and several rounds of steroids that didn't help matters and more weight just added to the stress....its not just vanity, its something else I cannot control like the food that I keep finding so much comfort in during such a horrible time in my life. So after a month of research and soul searching I paid my deposit and booked my flight today and I'm going for it. I wanted to wish you ALL the luck in the world and no matter what, do what YOU feel like you need to do for yourself. No one else will ever stand in our shoes...even though we're all supposed to be here for the same reason. No, you're not crazy hon.... if you are....then I'm right beside you headed for the padded room right along with you! And "Newbie" you're an angel for responding so kindly and I'm so happy this was the right choice for you....continued luck and success!! Please keep in touch!

Haven't been back for a while myself. But hello to you two that responded! I have finally brought this up with my doctor of 13 years and have his blessing to look into Plication or Sleeve. I'm waiting to hear from the Cleveland Clinic as they are doing some kind of trials for Plication for those with bmi's over 27. I spoke to the leading place here in MN and they won't do any procedures for less than 35 bmi, regardless of self-pay. So, I may have to go out of the US. Not my first choice, but i'm willing.

For those who slam us for trying to stop our weight cycle NOW before we get heavier and heavier, all I can say is, "how did you get where you're at?" Apparently, they weren't able to stop at 180 or 190 or 200 lbs and I bet if they could go back and have had their procedures before they were heavier, they would. My sister is 60 years old and having VSG in December, she needs to lose 80 lbs and has co-morbidities. What is the point of me waiting until I'm there and having worse health along the way????

So, lower-bmi'ers, I'm with ya! Trying to stop the weight merry-go-round and get healthy once and for all.

All my support to you and wishing you the best!