Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not Losing Weight!

It seems like my body has climbed up a tough plateau. I haven't lost weight since last five days.

I have lost only 11.5 lbs so far. I don't understand? I am worried. My Water intake is sufficient, around 1.5-2 ltrs. No Constipation but I have a sensation as if my digestive system has jammed, it's not working! I am feeling a bit demotivated! Any tips, help?

Pranjala,

About every month I go thru the same thing...I think my body needs to catch up with the weight loss...If you measure yourself I think you will find that even though you are not losing weight that you will be losing inches! Don't get down on yourself. The fact of the matter is you are eating less...just try to make better choices..eat more Protein that will help, and exercise (weight baring especially) to build muscle mass it key. Yes, I also have been losing 1 to 2 pounds per week...Think of that in a months perspective...wow that is close to 10 pounds! It is all good! (ps sometimes I need help for constipation..protein is a very powerful stopper if you know what I mean)

I guess you are right sue I need to shift my perspective, and rather look at the broader picture. What u said was so comforting. Else I'd started thinking I was going wrong somewhere with my diet. It's an an encouraging start for me. Thank you for making me realise this.

Agree. My doc is happy with at least 5 lb loss per month. I know we all want it to happen more quickly but 1-2 lbs a week is perfect.

I remember the first week right after surgery, I thought i would lose so much weight...honestly i only had liquids...and very little of that!! I found that it took over 2 weeks to really see the scale lower! From what I understand, your body is still in shock from the trauma of surgery...you need to give it some time to heal, and your body to catch up with the new form of eating your are forcing upon it! Just hang in there...the pounds will come off!!

You are absolutely right sue! I am 17 days post-op and I thought I'd lose at least 20lbs as usually we are on liquids only. My doc said the same thing that it's not healthy to lose so much suddenly. But I thought he just trying to comfort me.

I had my plication on June 15th and I am down 21 pounds. HOWEVER, I haven't lost ANY weight in the past week and a half. I'm 195 then 195.5 then 194.5. Some days I don't eat anything just to see what will happen....it's the same. I had a bowl of hot and sour Soup (lots of fat, sodium), same weight. We have a ranch and I work outside (relatively hard), and sweat a ton. I drink lots of Water. I hit the treadmill fast and furious for about 35-45 minutes 4-5 times a week. On normal days, I drink an Atkins shake for lunch and Breakfast and then have a small portion of whatever my family is having for their main course (chicken breast, hamburger steak). I take a Protein pill to make sure I get at least 20 g of protein everyday (I don't want my hair to fall out). Is there ANYONE out there who can give me some insight and advice? I honestly thought this procedure would help more than this. $5000 for 21 lbs? liposuction would have been a better way to spend the money.

I've heard it's normal to platuau 4-6 weeks out. Measure inches and keep watch. After a few weeks you should see the scale move again. Your body needs to catch up to your weight loss. Sounds like you lost 20 lbs in 1 month. That's awesome. Things are supose to slow down soon and you will see a slower, but still steady loss.

I had high expectations for a rapid loss. I really had hoped for 50 quick pounds and then 10 pounds a month. Unfortunately, we can't always control how our bodies handle what we do to/with them. I can go 3-4 weeks without losing a pound then lose 5-6 pounds in a matter of days. This last "cycle" was about 2 weeks with no loss then an abrupt 4 pound loss. It can be incredibly frustrating. I've only averaged about 5 pounds a month since about 6 weeks postop. With all of that said, however, I am down nearly 70 pounds since my 2-week preop diet began back in early December. I am VERY happy to have lost that 67-68 pounds even if it did take longer than I'd planned. Bottom line? Patience, grasshopper. :)

I had the plication on July 18th after having the lap band for almost 5 years. I just want to finally get to my goal weight. So I opted for this second procedure to go along with the band to help me get there. I have only lost about 10 lbs and most of it was pre-op. I hit a plateau right away. I feel like the other lady--no matter what I do, the scale doesn't change. I am feeling a bit discouraged too because I thought I would lose more right away. I do feel like I'm losing inches because my clothes are lose, but scale is fighting against me. I go in on Tuesday for the second visit since procedure. I will probably get a fill on my band, so hopefully that will help. I am having Constipation also. But it feels good to know that someone else is experiencing the same thing as me.

Everyone really needs to step back, and see this whole plication "tool" if you will for what it is....a tool...for future weight loss. We all want quick results, I did too. The fact of the matter is, the pounds WILL come off when your body is ready...I decided 2 months ago, that I am going to sit back and enjoy the diet ride....as long as this journey may take. I am planning on keeping my expectations real, focused and on sound ground. It took me years to put all this weight on...I now want to enjoy seeing it come off...in a healthier way...slow! June I took off 11 pounds, July I took off around 8 pounds....but it is coming off. First i loose a few pounds...then I go on a plateau (that we all know about)...but the amazing thing is that you will find your body is catching up..and it is loosing inches (I Promise!!). Bottom line is that none of us really know the magic number we will finally reach.....but one thing for sure...whatever that number is...we will all be a lot healthier for it! My surgery date was April 17th (at OCC) and I am down 52 pounds....was a size 18 now down to a 12. In my own mind I would someday like to be another 25-30 pounds lighter and in a size 10 or 8. I must say I feel pretty good right now and it wouldn't be the end of the world if I stayed where I am. We will see! You guys just hang in there....you are just beginning the ride!!

Thats it sue! You're right on the money- I went from a size 14 to a 2 in a very short amount of time but I was devout about diet and exercise and getting to my goal- you can do it you just have to be dedicated and decided that this as you said is just the magic tool to get you from where you are to where you want to be the rest is up to you.

Thanks 134and happy!!!!.....why should we set ourselves up with all these negative feelings/attitudes? Do we all not feel better with any kind of weight loss? dedication - like you said and patience!

Thats it sue! You're right on the money- I went from a size 14 to a 2 in a very short amount of time but I was devout about diet and exercise and getting to my goal- you can do it you just have to be dedicated and decided that this as you said is just the magic tool to get you from where you are to where you want to be the rest is up to you.

Can you give me advice on how you went from 14-2??

Lawson I'm not a diet expert or someone who has any authority on the matter - clearly or I would not have had plication. But I'll tell you what I did that I think made an impact for me:

I did not eat a thing besides Water crackers, tuna and coconut juice from the center isles of supermarkets

I tried everything in my power to eat only organic and from whole foods or fresh market

I ate every two hours -shakes were berries, egg white Protein, coconut juice, banana and I juiced. Now on the juicing I drank only kalelicious it's the only veg juice I can stomach. It's a recipe from the wholefoods juice bar that you can make at home and trust me I'm latin we don't eat very many vegetables and this is delish! Kale, spinach, banana, lemon, apple juice. You can sub banana for mango pineapple etc and I add a whole lemon not just half. I downed about 6-8 of those a week and it helped curve my anxiety bc I would drink it at my desk and play w the straw twiddle with the smoothie it just filled me up too. It's very good and eventually I started making it at home. I've gotten a few people addicted to it.

I also try as best I can not to have anything w corn Syrup corn starch - I prefer antibitic free grass fed, etc I do not have any soda!!! No syrup drinks. Coffees or cold teas. Only water. I did not. Drink alcohol for 3mos - and no artificial sugar only brown cane

I worked out after 28days from returning from my surgery and I walked 2 miles a day post surgery before the 28days

I ate little to no bread and little carbs had only water crackers w my Tuna at best

And I hired a trainer worked out 3 days a week w him and a workout partner which I think helps a lot

3-4 days I also did something- fun like spinning yoga running but I did aomething and there was no one that would stop me. Even if I was going out that night I would get a good sweat in. After about a month I needed the adrenaline rush

I started at 188 in January I now fluctuate from 134-138

I also bought outfits I wanted to fit into

When I was an 8 I bought a 6 dress that now fits me big

That 6 dress at the time was pretty snug and I would try it on and take it off in the morning and it helped me go from dam! I want a Madeline cookie w a VENTI skinny vanilla latte to a Protein Shake to get to my goal

My trainer also made me change my mentality from a fat girl training mentality of "I can't and this hurts and I don't want to" to measured thinking like an athlete goals videos it really helped

I now look at Olympians and see them sprint and think I can't wait to sprint this week w my trainer

So that's it. I was not lethargic in my thoughts or actions. I was determined and I saw myself that size and I exceeded what I thought was possible. My legs bounced back b.c they did get a bit flabby w the rapid loss my arms changed although I'm still working on it and my jeans well... I loooovvvveer buying jeans! So there you go. Also another point I don't know much about health and wellness or Probiotics or supplements nor am I a tree hugger I just set parameters around what I could eat. Now I cheat a lot but in my own way. Good luck it is a journey but this tool is such a blessing use it to the fullest capacity bc I did and I love it! I am interested in seeing what a year post surgery brings and that will be a whole other post