Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What To Expect When You're Getting Plicated

I've been reading posts on this site for months now and now I'm one of the plicated. Yea!! So this is a summary of my experience:

I was plicated on Feb 17th in Dalton, GA so now it's been one week. I never experienced any nausea. They go through great lenghts to make sure you dont with a patch behind my ear, a Bracelet that sends pulses to my fingers and anti-nausea pills. I was able to stop the pills and take everything off by day 4 since I never experienced any nausea. What you need to know is about the painful gas that builds up in your body from them blowing air into your body to expand the stomach so the doctor can see and work around in that area. When I woke up the pain wasn't in my stomach but in my chest and shoulders like an elephant was sitting on it. No one told me about that beforehand and it was the most painful thing! You have to get up and walk around every couple hours to break up the gases trapped in your body and get it moving around even though you won't feel like it but it actually works. Also a very sore throat for several days because of the tube down my throat. Wasn't able to get much liquid down though, only about 24 oz for the first 5 days but surprisingly never hungry.

I had surgery on Friday and was able to fly home and walk through a big airport by Sunday. Monday was a holiday and I was at work on Tuesday with no problem...desk job. I didn't tell anyone at work and they were none the wiser. I even flew back on Thursday for my 1 week followup. The only difficulty I had was stabbing pain in my left side by day 5. When I saw the Doc I was told since I hadn't moved my bowels since the day before surgery that was probably the problem and yep...it sure was. After I took care of that, the pain went away. I'm off all my meds, I don't even need any priolsec or heartburn stuff -at least not yet. I started creamy yesterday and boy you can really feel the liquid as it passes through your stomach...very strange. You really have to take it slow otherwise if you take too big a swallow or too many swallows back to back, it wont feel good, but it's a good way to slow down and really take your time when you eat.

I'm one of those people that never loses weight no matter what. I didnt lose a thing even during the 2 week pre-op diet which I see most people lose like 10-20 lbs. Well I finally lost 7 freaking pounds in the first week so I'm more than happy! I just hope it doesnt stop....maybe I'll stay on Clear liquids a little while longer. (:

Hi Cee,

I can totally relate to the never losing weight aspect! I have had major thyroid issues since I was 18 and have always worked out at least 4x a week, but as I got older was never able to lose more than a few pounds. One of the main reasons besides weight loss that I had this surgery is that there were times that I seemed to have raging hunger pain, even after having just finished a meal. For the most part that has diminished.

I had plication surgery with Dr. Watkins on March 11th of 2011 so I'm just one year shy of my anniversary date. I had a fantastic experience with him, his staff and the surgery center and do not regret it for a second.

I knew that for me the challenge would be that I have a lower BMI than a lot of people having the surgery so for the weight loss would be slow going. At first to be honest, I was a little discouraged that it seemed that I would only lose a half pound here, a half pound there, but as of last week I've finally lost 30 lbs, with 15 to go to put me into a healthy BMI. I realize that even though it may take me another 6 months, I will get there. I've switched up my exercise routine and have dropped some cardio and added TRX which has helped considerably, so while the pounds aren't flying off, I'm shaping up quite nicely - good thing because I'm sure they will ask for some progress pics next week.......

Thanks for your encouragement Meeshv21. I reached 2 weeks yesterday and only a 3 lbs weightloss for the week. That is a little discouraging but it's good to know I should just keep pushing. I will start working out this week to keep the weightloss going no matter how little it is. By the way, what is TRX?

I was retaining my Water so bad. After surgery, it was bad looked like the Michelan man, had the surgery on the 8 th, weighed 238, when I got home 249, as of today all swelling down, drinking shakes, Soups, down to 234, I have been walking 30-45 mins a day, yesterday I had a very sore side left, once I had some creamy Soup it went away, so I am thinking this maybe a sign saying feed me, very hard to get all my water in, obviously my weight will be a slow process of losing, but that is ok, as long As it comes off, the other key we hav to remember is inches is a big thing, measure yourself, sometimes those 3 lbs, means 7 inches lost. The inches are very important too, so do not get discouraged with the scale, look forward to the new slim us in ayear.

I agree fully with Canadian, I am on month three and have only lost 6 pounds this month but everyone notices my weight loss and I dropped another whole dress size. It's not just about the scale. My back side is noticeably slimming (and that is saying a lot!)

For those of u that r 6-15 months out, what is eating like? Will I ever be able to have Pasta again? What about alcohol? I'm a week away and wondering what I got myself into.

Yes u can have a few drinks nothing fizzy tho, u should wait for 6 months after surgery i was adviced, but do not forget 1 or 2 the most, do not want to waste your calorie intake, as for Pasta I was told as soon as I get used to putting solids in I can have pasta, I am only 9 days after surgery, still on liquids shakes, Soups, I can not wait to eat something solid, to actually chew on something, lol. My friend that had this done 7 weeks ago is eating everything I am so envious.