Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To Sleeve or Not to Sleeve - That is the question

Good Morning,

I am new to the group and searching like many of you for some answers, information and like minded folks to learn from on this journey.

A bit about me. I was banded (lapband) in 2003 in TJ and was very successful. I lost 170 lbs in 18 months and kept it off for almost 7 years. In 2009 I started gaining weight - about 10 lbs in a couple of months and went in to get checked as I was not getting any restriction. The dreaded diagnoisis - enlarged pouch. For the next couple of years I have tried everything short of band repositioning - and managed to gain another 30 lbs.

I have a wonderful supportive doctor in Mexico and am going back the end of June for revision surgery. He has recommended going with the new procedure - Plication and I am inclined to agree. Based on all my research this seems like a better option for me. One - no fills thank goodness and even better a process that doesn't take out any of my guts..(not an option for me).

So - here I am lurking on the boards again to learn as much as possible about the process, recovery tips and general information on the care and feeding of this procedure.

My first question to those hardy souls still reading is - "how do you know you are full?". With the band it was pretty obvious - if you over ate or didn't chew it would come back up. With this is it just a feeling of fullness and it stops you? Do you stay full longer? Does it keep you from feeling hungry?

Thanks everyone...look forward to gettig to know some of you better...

Donna

I had my plication done last July. If I overeat the last bite feels like a rock in my stomach. I have over eaten only twice and both times I could have thrown up but really just had dry heaves. I eat about every 2 hours and then about 3-4 ounces of dense Protein. If I eat anything other than dense Protein I can eat more. I could popcorn all day and not get full. I've lost 64 lbs and am so happy I had it done.

Good Morning,

I am new to the group and searching like many of you for some answers, information and like minded folks to learn from on this journey.

A bit about me. I was banded (lapband) in 2003 in TJ and was very successful. I lost 170 lbs in 18 months and kept it off for almost 7 years. In 2009 I started gaining weight - about 10 lbs in a couple of months and went in to get checked as I was not getting any restriction. The dreaded diagnoisis - enlarged pouch. For the next couple of years I have tried everything short of band repositioning - and managed to gain another 30 lbs.

I have a wonderful supportive doctor in Mexico and am going back the end of June for revision surgery. He has recommended going with the new procedure - Plication and I am inclined to agree. Based on all my research this seems like a better option for me. One - no fills thank goodness and even better a process that doesn't take out any of my guts..(not an option for me).

So - here I am lurking on the boards again to learn as much as possible about the process, recovery tips and general information on the care and feeding of this procedure.

My first question to those hardy souls still reading is - "how do you know you are full?". With the band it was pretty obvious - if you over ate or didn't chew it would come back up. With this is it just a feeling of fullness and it stops you? Do you stay full longer? Does it keep you from feeling hungry?

Donna

Hi Donna,

Fortunately I haven't thrown up, even when I overate. For me, when I'm full, it hurts. It's like when you overeat before the surgery, only worse. I have to just lay back on the couch for about 15 minutes or so before the pain subsides and then I just feel normal full. I try not to let it happen. There's warning signs of feeling full before the pain hits. You just have to learn that when you feel that sense of fullness, STOP eating! If you take one more bite, sometimes that puts you over the edge! At least that's what happens to me, anyway. I will say that the Plication surgery has not eliminated my hunger. I've been having trouble with having a lot of hunger pains so I have to eat every 2-3 hours, also. For some reason I have more hunger during the day. After dinner, I rarely get hungry again, unless I go to bed later, then I'll get hungry just before bed.

Good luck with your decision making!

The feeling of fullness is about the same as pre-surgery for me. I've never vomited or dry heaved post op (my surgeon said that'd undo the stitches if it happened in the first 3 weeks - I'm 6 months out). I can almost eat normal quantities though, so I'd have to really go OTT to experience ill effects (which doesn't help with the weight loss).

I get hungry just like before and probably only stay a little fuller. IMO this really would only help bingers as the restriction is too little.

Hi Donna,

Welcome to the group! I am somewhat of a newbie, only 1 month out, but I will give you my perspective. I get hungry about every 2-3 hours, but my doc said that was normal and expected. It doesn't take much though to fill me up...a few bites of cottage cheese or one of the small cups of yogurt. In addition, I no longer CRAVE junk food and sweets. I had a horrible sweet tooth before, and now I really don't care that much about them. Additionally, some of the foods I liked before no longer taste that great to me...and that's a good thing because it was junk food. I am still learning the restriction of my stomach. I never had any nausea after surgery, and have never thrown up, but when I eat too much I hurt. It usually goes away in about 15-30 minutes, and then I just feel full.

The feeling of fullness is about the same as pre-surgery for me. I've never vomited or dry heaved post op (my surgeon said that'd undo the stitches if it happened in the first 3 weeks - I'm 6 months out). I can almost eat normal quantities though, so I'd have to really go OTT to experience ill effects (which doesn't help with the weight loss).

I get hungry just like before and probably only stay a little fuller. IMO this really would only help bingers as the restriction is too little.

I've been frustrated with the slow weight loss and hunger pains, etc, but I will agree that it has "saved me from myself" a couple of times! On an ocassional bad day, I've gone to a fast food restaurant with the intention of eating a big ole' hamburger with fries and....could only eat about 1/4 of it all. Thank goodness! :)

I don't want to seem negative, but from what I have heard on the OCC (Dr. Ortiz) forum, they are now suggesting the traditional sleeve gastrectomy for former band patients. I read that plication is best as a first time WLS, or band with plication. They have found that people that are used to the hard stop feeling that they got from the band, are not satisfied with the full feeling that plication gives you. If you cant have the band with plication, I think I would just revise to the VSG. plication surgery is the first and only WLS I will have. Overall I am happy, but there are times when I wish I just had the VSG.

Yeah you can still throw up. But mostly, you feel full - like your stomach is pushing back as you try to push food down your throat lol :]]

A couple of times (yes, i think this is useful) when i was full and i drank too soon, the combination would make me sick. Once i figured that out, a few times i ate too much (but not enough) so i drank some Water, and felt better instantly (yak)... better than feeling nauseated

my aunt had the band some years ago, it slipped, she almost died (cuz she would not go see her doctor, she was afraid they would unfill her and she would get fat so she let it get BAD) - anyway she had it redone. she's been thin for like 5-7 years.

i decided i didn't want to risk that, or have to commute to Mexico for fill maintenance so i decided on the plication.

the surgery is not bad, the only time i got sick was waking up the next morning (from anesthesia), but NO pain. good doctor... Dr. Ortiz

I dropped 30 pounds within a month and haven't lost a pound since.

I haven't felt restriction lately - and i'm starting to wonder if i busted a stitch or something...

It has only been like 2 months for me so i guess if i keep losing ill be glad i did it, but if i don't lose anything else it will be the biggest $$$ mistake of my life!!!

good luck...

kim

Good Morning,

Donna

Yeah you can still throw up. But mostly, you feel full - like your stomach is pushing back as you try to push food down your throat lol :]]

A couple of times (yes, i think this is useful) when i was full and i drank too soon, the combination would make me sick. Once i figured that out, a few times i ate too much (but not enough) so i drank some Water, and felt better instantly (yak)... better than feeling nauseated

my aunt had the band some years ago, it slipped, she almost died (cuz she would not go see her doctor, she was afraid they would unfill her and she would get fat so she let it get BAD) - anyway she had it redone. she's been thin for like 5-7 years.

i decided i didn't want to risk that, or have to commute to Mexico for fill maintenance so i decided on the plication.

the surgery is not bad, the only time i got sick was waking up the next morning (from anesthesia), but NO pain. good doctor... Dr. Ortiz

I dropped 30 pounds within a month and haven't lost a pound since.

I haven't felt restriction lately - and i'm starting to wonder if i busted a stitch or something...

It has only been like 2 months for me so i guess if i keep losing ill be glad i did it, but if i don't lose anything else it will be the biggest $ mistake of my life!!!

good luck...

kim

I've heard similar stories on other boards about people not losing after a month or so. I hope you do start losing again! Good luck!