Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Water intake during the post-op recovery

I am creating a schedule for my meals, Vitamins, and Water intake for the first few weeks post surgery.

I understand we need 64 oz of water daily, and that it will be hard to get it all in.

Do the shakes qualify as part of the 64 oz of water?

Yup. I was told any non-caffeinated liquids (broth, shakes, etc)

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 198

lol, anything you can manage is part of that 64. It was impossible for me to get that much. I freaked out constantly about it.

I found that making "Vickers" from Jello helps with Water intake. If you use a square glass... like casserole dish and by Walmart brand Jello and Gelatin, put 5 jello and 5 Gelatin in a big bowl, toss it around to mix it, then take 6 cups of Water for five and a half minutes in the microwave. Pour it into the bowl with the powder jello and gelatin and mix. I use a mixer because the gelatin wants to coagulate in the bottom and you do not want that. Then pour the hot mix in the pan (you can use a slight spray of canola in the pan but I have not really needed it). If halfway through the pour you see solids, mix and mush them. Refrigerate and then cut in squares. Then you can hold them and snack on them.

I put them in a tupperware and if it liquefies, I just refrigerate til the mix is solid again. MAKE SURE TO GET THE sugar free.

Stay tuned. I have another tip for yuky Protein shakes.

I had the Gastric Bypass on Aug 14. I started out at 306 lbs. In six weeks I was 270 and the Diabetes that hit as soon as I hit 300 has disappeared.

There have been only twice that I ate to much and felt like crap. Put my finger down my throat, only about two teaspoon came up and I was alright.

You need to court calories. Multiply your weight by 10. THOSE are the calories you need every day to maintain... less than that, you lose weight, more you gain. I eat 1200 calories a day and I use an app called "Calorie Counter" by caloriecount.com, it is the one I learned the best. I use it to maintain a log of calories and Protein. But the is also one called "loose it". Calorie counter has a way of scanning the UPC code then you can adjust the servings.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches