Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1st fill...When will I feel full?

Hi Everyone! :)

I had my first fill on last Wednesday...it's Sunday now. It was much easier and less painful than I thought it would be... I really didn't need to worry! I found out that I have the Vanguard 11 Band (big belly club), and had no fill at surgery time...although I sure thought so. I had lost 26 lbs. by my first fill (1 month). So, was proud that I achieved that pretty much by myself. I was filled fairly aggressively, judging by posts read...I got 4.2cc's. When I had my first sip of cold Water after the fill...WHAM! What a weird feeling! Like a potato chip stuck in your throat...guess this was a band spasm. After a day or two of soft stuff, I am eating normal, and have had only one or two cases where the bite was too big. That same ache at band site...like you can trace where every bite goes. It is very uncomfortable, but it passes, and then I can continue eating. Chew, chew, chew.

One question I have though, is when will I feel full? It seems (volume wise) that I don't have a stopping point where I feel full. All still seems to be a self control issue, rather than feeling full. I eat better choices now, do the Protein first, try not to drink during meals, stopped grazing...but I have never been "full" with the band. It's like I want to test my band (BUT NOT PB) to see its limits. If I pulverize everything I eat, and eat slow, won't it all go down, not fill my pouch, and never give me the full feeling that keepps me from eating the portion sizes that got me to this place? I understand I am new to the band, and to be patient. I am "dieting". I am doing the right things. But Portion Control was always my problem, and I thought the band would be helpful in this respect (not a cure, a HELP).

Not a panic here, maybe just a misunderstanding on my part. My doc said it may be possible that I lose very slowly this next month, while I get used to the restriction. I am not truly living by the scales at this point. I am going for a fill in 2.5 weeks. I have read here that some fills take a week or so to "kick in"...maybe that's what's going on with me.

No real urgency here, comments more than anything. Love reading everyone's posts...thanks for the great site, and keep it up, love!

Hey Jack! Thank you very much for your insightful post...it DID make me think, and you make some very solid, thoughtful observations.

I realize some people want the band to do it all, take control, and change their lives. I was told early on, that it is more of a cooperation...an unbalanced one at that! I was told it was 80% you, 20% the band. I believe this. A little help with the willpower is what I am looking for, and I foresee the band being that. My hubby says that my tombstone will read, "She didn't wait well". Ha! He is also the one who says this is not a race, but a marathon. What I like best about the band so far is that it makes me think, sometimes obsessively, about what I eat, how I eat, when I eat, if I'm full, is the band working, am I doing my part...all good things. For it was the unconscience gorging that got me here. And anything that brings me around to paying attention has got to be a good thing.

:clap2: Take care and keep it up!

Hey Cindi--I can totally understand where you are coming from. The only time I have ever felt really "full" is right after my surgery, when a half cup of chicken broth would do it! But I gradually started to realize--like Jack said--I don't need to be "full" all the time--I just need to not be hungry all the time. And I'm not. And when I do get hungry, I eat, but I stop eating when I don't fell hungry anymore. I am going back for my 3rd fill tomorrow, simply because the first two just didn't quite do it for me. I am getting hungrier than before, and feel like I could eat a whole lot more than I do, so I just want to have that little reassurance that I can't eat more than I should.Like I said, I am not hungry all the time or anything, but I paid a lot of money for this thing, and want to feel like it is doing something! It sounds to me like you are doing great--you have the right mind-set for this journey, and you know it is not a miracle cure--we have to work with the band, not work around it, like many people do. Keep up the good work!!

:help: Dear Cindi: your post hit me right in the "gut." I was banded 1/8/09 in Hackensack NJ, and I could have written it myself - you expressed everything I have been feeling and questioning about to a tee. I just had my second fill for a total of 4 cc and i don't feel like it's really doing anything for me (I too have the big band) Let me know how you're doing.

Hi! Cindi,

I would like to add to Cindi's comments--specifically this portion:

One question I have though, is when will I feel full? It seems (volume wise) that I don't have a stopping point where I feel full. All still seems to be a self control issue, rather than feeling full. I eat better choices now, do the Protein first, try not to drink during meals, stopped grazing...but I have never been "full" with the band. If I pulverize everything I eat, and eat slow, won't it all go down, not fill my pouch, and never give me the full feeling that keeps me from eating the portion sizes that got me to this place?...But Portion Control was always my problem, and I thought the band would be helpful in this respect (not a cure, a HELP).

I am asking myself the same questions. The biggest problem for me, though, is that even before the surgery I was never hungry. I do not know what it feels like to be hungry. I can go for days and not eat unless I remind myself to do so. Self-control and portion control have always been my issues and I thought the band would help me to learn what "full" felt like since I didn't have the advantage of knowing what "hungry" felt like. Now, four months post-surgery, I am feeling like I spent $16,000 (out-of-pocket) for just another diet and that the band has so far not helped as I thought it would. I have to admit that the band has helped me to eat slower and chew more thoroughly. But the concept of eating slower is supposed to be rewarded by giving your body a chance to register "full' before you've gone too far. Without hunger to begin with, that hasn't been the case. I am wondering if anyone else out there has had this strange phenomena of never being hungry.

i had my first fill feb 23rd and i have a 10 cc band he filled it to 4.25 and i can fill restriction before band was filled i could eat 4 soft tacos now 1/2 of one then have to wait 30 min to finish the other half. you will know whenthere is restriction i can feel it in my throat .its a full feeling except its not in your tummy but in the throat. if your still eating the same you need more fill in the band trust me you will know a diffrence.

:) Thanks to all of you for your comments! Wow...I had a feeling I would find people who understood in here:)

It really isn't so much that I want that stuffed-full-feeling...I, too, just don't wanna be hungry all the time, and I want that satisfied feeling. Rather that than wondering what I can eat next (that won't do any harm) feeling! I know it's brain over body, but I AM hungry, and I'd like not to be thinking about food constantly. I bet there will be people who say that "food is ruling my life" (duh), and that "I don't know real hunger". Maybe not. But if I were satisfied, felt some fullness, then I wouldn't be so absorbed. Argh! This is beginning to be a vicious circle, isn't it? LOL!

BUT...there is light. I emailed the RN at my fill center, and she said that still feeling hungry and feeling no restriction after the first fill was very normal, and that I could check and see if I can get in for an earlier than scheduled fill. Woot, woot!

This all may sound negative, but I'm not, really. I am smaller, clothes feel better, I don't huff and puff, I sleep better, I know I've done the right thing. Just sometimes, it is easy to lose sight of the bigger picture. I am more than happy with my band, and am anxious for it to be my new best friend, and I am in it for the long haul. I did mention that I'm impatient, didn't I?

Onward, downward, and keep it up, love!