Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Did I Do? Dumping On Fat?

Oh lord, I really screwed up tonight, and feel like the "old" me and I am so pissed at myself. In laws in town, out to dinner, ate too much.... 2 shrimp with garlic butter/Parmesan cheese, Tomato with blue cheese crumbles, and a few bites of mashed potato with cheese.....I feel HORRIBLE - physically and emotionally! I threw up and it was basically oily yuck - no food! My belly hurts down low, like under my belly button....how long will this last? I never want to eat again!!!! I hate myself right now!!!! Is this fat dumping???

Haven't had bypass yet, but everything I read which is quite alot, I see three things, maybe four what is going on. #1 garlic "butter" #2 Parmasan cheese, #3 blue cheese crumbles #4 cheese on the potato. Dairy products, unless reduced in fat i.e. skim milk, low fat cheeses, have signficiant fat in them, also you may have become lactose intolerant. So probably yes you're dumping because of the fat. From what it sounds, regarding your belly hurting under the belly button is actually your large colon and there is a good chance you are going to be spending sometime in your bathroom as it is moving down the "pike" sorta speaking. Really hope you get to feeling better soon.

Don't hate yourself, just use this experience to make yourself better. You probably wont run out and do that again real soon! Live, learn and move on from it! Hope you feel better.

Like the other poster mentioned,I would be suspicious of the lactose, seeing as your meal was lactose-laden.

Oh lord' date=' I really screwed up tonight, and feel like the "old" me and I am so pissed at myself. In laws in town, out to dinner, ate too much.... 2 shrimp with garlic butter/Parmesan cheese, Tomato with blue cheese crumbles, and a few bites of mashed potato with cheese.....I feel HORRIBLE - physically and emotionally! I threw up and it was basically oily yuck - no food! My belly hurts down low, like under my belly button....how long will this last? I never want to eat again!!!! I hate myself right now!!!! Is this fat dumping???[/quote']

Feeling any better?

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 199

There's no question that dumping is not limited to sugar. Carbs and/or fat will result in dumping for some folks as well. But...instead of focusing all that energy on condemning yourself, why not Celebrate the fact that you learned a valuable lesson? It's important to allow yourself to be human. It's also more realistic, more sustainable, healthier and a lot more fun. Lifestyle changes are the result of ongoing lessons learned. I'm almost two years out - still learning, still making adjustments, still lovin the new me!!

Thanks everyone! Matter spending some time in the bathroom last night I felt a lot better this morning. Taking it slow and easy today with lots of good protein!

I will be six years out tomorrow!! ... And guess what??... I STILL have dumping syndrome if I eat too much, too fast, too much fat or sugar.... However, six years later and I've still kept off all 175 lbs I lost. So, to me it may be horrible but because of its constant discipline it's a blessing really.

I must be the pro at dumping sydrome, I have it for over 15 years, and can't relate to any one type of food, not that I tried to figure out what may be causing it. Didn't have as many problems, to speak of, with the band. Now that it is out, me and the bathroom have become very good friends again and this passed two weeks the Protein liquid diet is horrible as it has become even worse. I'll be happy when I can get some Fiber. Also happy my surgeon doesn't do colon cleansers the day before surgery. So I'm hoping that this will become somewhat reversalable after Wednesday, because I will be doing a food diary and totally watching what I eat.

I will be six years out tomorrow!! ... And guess what??... I STILL have dumping syndrome if I eat too much, too fast, too much fat or sugar.... However, six years later and I've still kept off all 175 lbs I lost. So, to me it may be horrible but because of its constant discipline it's a blessing really.

GREAT job Karen!! Good for you! Do you maintain a food log?

There's no question that dumping is not limited to sugar. Carbs and/or fat will result in dumping for some folks as well. But...instead of focusing all that energy on condemning yourself' date=' why not Celebrate the fact that you learned a valuable lesson? It's important to allow yourself to be human. It's also more realistic, more sustainable, healthier and a lot more fun. Lifestyle changes are the result of ongoing lessons learned. I'm almost two years out - still learning, still making adjustments, still lovin the new me!![/quote']

I only dump on fat...two bites of bacon, and I'm done. Wont do that again!