Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need to learn all I can about the RNY quickly

Hello RNY'ers,

I am new to this forum but I have been the sleeve forum until a couple of days ago. I need to learn all I can about the RNY before my next visit with the team. The PA said because of my Gerd I am not a canidate for the sleeve. And that I should speak with a surgeon regarding this issue.

I thought that that was my decision to make ultimatelybecause I will have to live with it. On the other hand I do not want discomfort, pain or sickness andto be filled with regrets either.

Please chime in and and help me get to the level. Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated. There is wealth of information here and I would like to take advantage of your generousity. Thanks in advance. :rolleyes:

RNY cures gerd. Sleeve does not. RNY best thing I ever did for myself. Did it at 60 years old and am 6 months post op. 3 pounds to go before I'm below 200 and I'm doing my second 5k tomorrow night! Not one regret.

RNY cures gerd. Sleeve does not. RNY best thing I ever did for myself. Did it at 60 years old and am 6 months post op. 3 pounds to go before I'm below 200 and I'm doing my second 5k tomorrow night! Not one regret.

Hi Pam,

I did not know that it cured Gerd (yea) and congrats on your happiness with the RNY, weight loss, and running. I do not have a lot of weight to lose but I need to do it for my health. I thought and was made to beleive that the bypass was for ppl with more weight to lose than me. I'm at 226. Have you heard of a situation like mine with Gerd before? and If so does this type of situation go well.

Pam can I add you as a friend.

• I just turned 71 and will be having bypass on the 11th. I am an ex-lapbander (removed 5/23/13) so actually have gotten off 40% of my weight and have about 60 lbs more. My doctor did not hesitate and in fact because I am a diabetic he recommended the bypass for me even though he offered the sleeve if I wanted it. The one thing the sleeve lets you do is to continue eating sweets and fats which the bypass cannot tolerate too well. Also bypass will put your diabetes into remission, whereas the sleeve can, but there again, you have to cut back or eliminate carbs/sweets which you are still able to eat. If you check out this site there are a number of us who are band to bypass, sleeve to bypass. Bypass can be a slower weight loss, but I have always been told it is better to lose slowly then lose too fast, better chance of keeping it off. Also you realize that 2/3's of your stomach is totally removed with the sleeve? The bypass, if necessary, can be reversed if need be. Bypass also has been around the longest and more research has been done. The band is now showing its failures, and the sleeve is coming in with some research but it is newer than the band. It definitely can be a hard decision. I just wanted something that has had a lot of research to it. Surgeries are not on my bucket list and I definitely made the wrong decision the first time. Good Luck.

• I just turned 71 and will be having bypass on the 11th. I am an ex-lapbander (removed 5/23/13) so actually have gotten off 40% of my weight and have about 60 lbs more. My doctor did not hesitate and in fact because I am a diabetic he recommended the bypass for me even though he offered the sleeve if I wanted it. The one thing the sleeve lets you do is to continue eating sweets and fats which the bypass cannot tolerate too well. Also bypass will put your diabetes into remission, whereas the sleeve can, but there again, you have to cut back or eliminate carbs/sweets which you are still able to eat. If you check out this site there are a number of us who are band to bypass, sleeve to bypass. Bypass can be a slower weight loss, but I have always been told it is better to lose slowly then lose too fast, better chance of keeping it off. Also you realize that 2/3's of your stomach is totally removed with the sleeve? The bypass, if necessary, can be reversed if need be. Bypass also has been around the longest and more research has been done. The band is now showing its failures, and the sleeve is coming in with some research but it is newer than the band. It definitely can be a hard decision. I just wanted something that has had a lot of research to it. Surgeries are not on my bucket list and I definitely made the wrong decision the first time. Good Luck.

oldoneyoungagain, thanksyou for your input. This is what I'm talking about, 'real and straight talk' I need to hear the facts.

I'm so surprised by the PA and NUT, there was sympathy, are real talk with me. They have been doing it so long that they forget the person sitting in front of them are and might be struggling to understand, keep up, or maybe confuse,and possibly upset.

They were looking at me as to watch and observe my behavior. I don't know for sure but it was extremely strange and uncomfortable. It makes me want to switch centers. I was given 2 small pamphlets and told to go home and talk to my family. I asked to speak to a surgeonn and was told that that was reserved for later visits usually. I really don't want to go back there.

I was torn between the two surgeries as well and my surgeon wouldn't point me in either direction. He believes in giving the facts and having the patients decide. My son is having the sleeve in October. I chose the rny because of my gerd and my eating habits. If you have trouble with sweets, and fried foods at all, the rny is the way to go. I wanted the "fear" of dumping to always be there to help me mentally. I had the rny on 4-22 and havent had any symptoms of gerd since that day. It is absolutely wonderful. I am down over 60 lbs in 4 months and feeling great.

Try googling rny and the sleeve. I did this and found several side by side comparisons that lay it out for you. Hope this helps.

oldoneyoungagain, thanksyou for your input. This is what I'm talking about, 'real and straight talk' I need to hear the facts.

I'm so surprised by the PA and NUT, there was sympathy, are real talk with me. They have been doing it so long that they forget the person sitting in front of them are and might be struggling to understand, keep up, or maybe confuse,and possibly upset.

They were looking at me as to watch and observe my behavior. I don't know for sure but it was extremely strange and uncomfortable. It makes me want to switch centers. I was given 2 small pamphlets and told to go home and talk to my family. I asked to speak to a surgeonn and was told that that was reserved for later visits usually. I really don't want to go back there.

Oh my goodness, I would definitely be finding a different clinic/doctor preferably a Center of Excellence. To me this office sounds like $$$$$$ and not much on patient concerns or well being. Did you attend a seminar? If so was it given by the doctor(s). If not find one that the doctors give and attend one. There you can ask questions of the doctors regarding the surgeries if they perform either or all, band, sleeve, bypass. You can get a feeling for the doctor as this is the person you want to feel secure with. But your current doctor's office totally sounds like the first clinic I went too and had my band (I liked my doctor but he quit ten months after my surgery and I went with the NP in that office), had I not been dissatisfied with them and changed doctors I would probably be fighting for my life because this office never checked if my band was leaking, erroded or slipped. Nor did I know I had a problem, I just complained in a joking way that I felt I didn't have a band, didn't feel anything for that matter, other than I was po'd with their service. So with all this being said once I discovered I had a problem and would either have to have bypass or sleeve I started all the research to base my decision and it was checking mayo Clinic website, UCLA, Cleveland Clinic, any place I could find research and the most and on what procedure. Also the chat forums there I was just checking problems the people were having with the surgery they had. Also the place where I work there are at least ten if not more who have had bypass one that I know who has had it for 17 years and all is well with all of them. All have lost significant weight and have made a great improvement in their life. One still has about 75 more lbs to lose because he needs a hip replacement and they won't do it with his current weight. None of them have had a problem except those of us who had the band first.

Just keep the forum posted if you have further questions or concerns.

They say with RNY. You lose 90 percent of your weight. If I'm going to have Wls I rather do the full surgery that I will experience it all. I'm glad I had this surgery I haven't had any complication & I'm 15 months today.

They say with RNY. You lose 90 percent of your weight. If I'm going to have Wls I rather do the full surgery that I will experience it all. I'm glad I had this surgery I haven't had any complication & I'm 15 months today.

Tiny just letting you know you are an inspiration to all of us, you have done so well with your weight loss and you definitely made the right choice from the git go with RNY surgery. Keep posting your success stories, to keep the rest of us motivated.

Hi Pam,

I did not know that it cured Gerd (yea) and congrats on your happiness with the RNY, weight loss, and running. I do not have a lot of weight to lose but I need to do it for my health. I thought and was made to beleive that the bypass was for ppl with more weight to lose than me. I'm at 226. Have you heard of a situation like mine with Gerd before? and If so does this type of situation go well.

Hi Pam,

I had the band, and the sleeve, horrible relflux, and the sleeve made it worse...went from sleeve to bypass and the only regret I have is not doing it first.....

I was torn between the two surgeries as well and my surgeon wouldn't point me in either direction. He believes in giving the facts and having the patients decide. My son is having the sleeve in October. I chose the rny because of my gerd and my eating habits. If you have trouble with sweets, and fried foods at all, the rny is the way to go. I wanted the "fear" of dumping to always be there to help me mentally. I had the rny on 4-22 and havent had any symptoms of gerd since that day. It is absolutely wonderful. I am down over 60 lbs in 4 months and feeling great.

Try googling rny and the sleeve. I did this and found several side by side comparisons that lay it out for you. Hope this helps.

Thanks Dorian, I will google both procedures. Also thanks for the reassurance about the RNY. I guess each forum has it preferrences. Thanks for all the support I truly feel accepted here. Thanks . I need some friends in the this forum, please let me know if I can you.

I choose the RNY because I figured if I was going to go through all this work it might as well be the procedure with proven success. My doc said I could do either sleeve of bypass, but he strongly urged me to do rny. I have rheumatoid arthritis and have been on prednisone for about 6 years. My surgeon was not sure I would lose all the weight I should with just the sleeve. He also said having the malabsorption aspect was the best thing for me, because if I had to increase my steroid level I at least would not be absorbing all the calories. Prednisone makes you really hungry. Before surgery I would wake up at 3 or 4 am feeling like I had never eaten in my life. Nasty drug but a life saver.

Oh my goodness, I would definitely be finding a different clinic/doctor preferably a Center of Excellence. To me this office sounds like $$$$$$ and not much on patient concerns or well being. Did you attend a seminar? If so was it given by the doctor(s). If not find one that the doctors give and attend one. There you can ask questions of the doctors regarding the surgeries if they perform either or all, band, sleeve, bypass. You can get a feeling for the doctor as this is the person you want to feel secure with. But your current doctor's office totally sounds like the first clinic I went too and had my band (I liked my doctor but he quit ten months after my surgery and I went with the NP in that office), had I not been dissatisfied with them and changed doctors I would probably be fighting for my life because this office never checked if my band was leaking, erroded or slipped. Nor did I know I had a problem, I just complained in a joking way that I felt I didn't have a band, didn't feel anything for that matter, other than I was po'd with their service. So with all this being said once I discovered I had a problem and would either have to have bypass or sleeve I started all the research to base my decision and it was checking mayo Clinic website, UCLA, Cleveland Clinic, any place I could find research and the most and on what procedure. Also the chat forums there I was just checking problems the people were having with the surgery they had. Also the place where I work there are at least ten if not more who have had bypass one that I know who has had it for 17 years and all is well with all of them. All have lost significant weight and have made a great improvement in their life. One still has about 75 more lbs to lose because he needs a hip replacement and they won't do it with his current weight. None of them have had a problem except those of us who had the band first.

Just keep the forum posted if you have further questions or concerns.

Hugs oldoneyoungagain,

Thanks. Sorry for the post it didn't read exactly the way I wanted it to but I see you got my drift.

I attend the seminar with head surgeon. I was comfortable with what he was saying but when I came in for my appt with the team the were speaking tongues; crazy stuff. They contradict some things Dr Benn had said. They discouraged me in trying to make an appt with him. They did a great job of making me feel that this isn't the place for me.

I liked the surgeon, but not his staff. I told them that I had a hernia, but she is more interested in me going to a endocrinologist for Gerd than seeing a surgeon for this huge hernia that I have, I was going to have this taken care of before I decided to get WLS. The previous doctors said it needs to be taken care of. Since I decided to get the surgery why get both done at the same time. But the PA didn't care about that.

I was told that it could wait until the time of surgery. "What kind of ppl are they?"

I did call my insurance and they gave me a few other options, I will called them next week.

Thanks for the quick and patient responses. Hugs...

I choose the RNY because I figured if I was going to go through all this work it might as well be the procedure with proven success. My doc said I could do either sleeve of bypass, but he strongly urged me to do rny. I have rheumatoid arthritis and have been on prednisone for about 6 years. My surgeon was not sure I would lose all the weight I should with just the sleeve. He also said having the malabsorption aspect was the best thing for me, because if I had to increase my steroid level I at least would not be absorbing all the calories. Prednisone makes you really hungry. Before surgery I would wake up at 3 or 4 am feeling like I had never eaten in my life. Nasty drug but a life saver.

I like your Avtar, you look great. I can't wait until I amd loosing. Thanks for the comments.

Thanks Dorian' date=' I will google both procedures. Also thanks for the reassurance about the RNY. I guess each forum has it preferrences. Thanks for all the support I truly feel accepted here. Thanks . I need some friends in the this forum, please let me know if I can you.[/quote']

No problem. I found so much help here myself. I let more of myself out here than with some of my friends and family here at home. They are more accepting here! ;) contact me anytime with any questions!