Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

South of the border? Am I crazy to even concider that?

thank you so much. i contacted him and have a phone consultation scheduled for the 20th. i already spoke with my husband and he fully supports me doing the surgery in the U.S. i am so relieved and happy. I also have a friend with lives in aurora, colorado where his office is and would be able to stay with her. you have lifted so much stress of me.:confused:

thank you, thank you:) :eek: :eek:

Glad I could help!! PM me if I can do anything else! :clap2:

A little late response, but my family and fiance are the same way. They all support me doing the banding surgery, but if I say we can cut corners by going to a place in Mexico, no matter how immaculate it is, I'd lose all the support I had!

Best of Luck to you. My family was dead set about Mexico. Mexico = No Good. I suffered and kept my mouth shut, till I saved the money. After meeting others that had gone to Mexico they eased up a little. After my banding in Mexico they support going south.

Or you can just get a loan and stil go to Mexico-lol

I got a low interest loan with my low credit score at Prosper -the group is Weighting To Lose Bariatric Surgery Loans.

It a People to People Loans,I'm a real visitor here and I was approved for a loan so I could stay in the states.

Check out the site(copy and paste)

http://www.prosper.com/public/groups/group_home.aspx?group_short_name=ProsperNLose

How do the American doctors feel about doing fills if you go to Mexico for the surgery? How do you make the arangements for fill doctors before the surgery?

I had my banding in Mexico and I feel that the doctors there were more experienced than the American Doctors. I Chose dr. verboonen at the Obesity Goodbye Center in Tijuana. He has ten times the experience of the American Doctors who have only performed 60-70 bandings. Just make sure that you get a LapBand system since it is the only one approved in the United States thus far. My Parents were very mad that I chose MX for my surgery, but my band has NEVER slipped like they have in the US. You will not be dissappointed that you chose to go to Mexico to have this surgery. Actually, mexicans think (per my conversation with my nurse there) that Americans are rather unhealthy and dirty......GO FIGURE! Feel free to e-mail me if you have any concerns or questions.

Initially, I felt the same way about Mexico...I was like "No way in hell would I go to a 3rd world country..." but...after researching everything, I had a complete change of heart. My husband is still not on the bandwagon about Mexico, and probably never will be. He even said if any complications occur (God Forbid!) in his mind it will be because I went to MX, regardless of what the truth is. I feel if most people knew I was going to MX, this is how they would feel...but that's just a lack of education.

I initally started researching Dr. Aceves. I am sure he is more than capable, if not great. However, I came across Dr. Ortiz during this time and what has drawn me to him is that he is a Fellow with the American College of Surgeons. This is an American entity that investigates all of it's applicants thoroughly. (Check out the ACS website...very informative about their criteria and what applicant's must voluntarily do to be considered...) It's a big deal to be an FACS in the U.S, to me it's an even bigger deal to be a doctor outside the US and be recognized as a fellow with the ACS.

He's also a member of the American Society of Bariatric Surgeons (ASBS), another US entity. These are voluntary memberships, and they don't just accept any Tom, Dick or Harry. (Again, check out their membership requirements on their website). Since I know that he has been investigated by these American entities and subjected to US standards in these investigations, I feel as secure as I possibly can about having this done outside my home country. The way I look at it, through my research, I have found the best Dr. in the world to do this surgery...it just so happens that he is in TJ, Mexico.

Just my opinion.

Well stated, Heather! I add an "Amen" to everything you said!

Bubble--

I understand where you are coming from...I think. These are not merely "affiliations" as though he paid a membership fee and got hooked up with the ACS.

As defined by the ACS: The letters FACS (Fellow, American College of Surgeons) after a surgeon's name mean that the surgeon's education and training, professional qualifications, surgical competence, and ethical conduct have passed a rigorous evaluation, and have been found to be consistent with the high standards established and demanded by the College.

I am reassured knowing that at least an agency that upholds the standards of care, to which I am accustomed as a U.S. Citizen, has investigated this person, his practice, his experience, his ethics, and found him to be worthy of a Fellowship. I never said that it is what makes him a great surgeon. Quite the contrary. I'm sure, especially from reading on LBT, that there are other great surgeons in MX. However, I (and I only speak for myself) cannot merely base my decision on what I read on a bulletin board. I needed something more concrete.

The doctor you write about should be reported to ACS and to other entities (i.e. board of certification) for possible revocation of membership and/or certification. Other obvious legal pursuits should be endeavored if she is as bad as you say.

I feel Ortiz is the best person to perform surgery on ME. I personally prefer that he does only lap bands, as that is what I want to have done. I want to go to the person who devotes his/her time exclusively to the procedure I'm having. I'd rather have the guy who has done this thousands of times in a row--so much that he could do it with his eyes closed if he wanted--than with someone who does it less. It's one of the things that make me feel secure.

My post wasn't a commercial for Ortiz, and I certainly wasn't casting any aspersions on Aceves just because I didn't choose him. In fact, I believe I said as much. I'm a little puzzled by the tone of your response, but I respect that you prefer Aceves. Like I said, I'm sure he's capable, if not better than that. I'd probably be in just as good of hands. (and I'd save 300 bones going to him!) The question was about whether the original poster was crazy for considering surgery in Mexico. I gave my experience.

You are not crazy for considering this.

>There was no intended tone in my posts, it's just my sucky writing style. I've tried for years to change it and it just doesn't work. The nicer I try to sound the nastier it becomes. Writing just isn't my forte, honestly.<

LOL--That cracked me up because I can relate.

If I was sensitive...I apologize. It could be my lack of nicotine (day 6), it could be my pre-op diet (day 3) or it could be the major dental work I just had done (day 3...ugh, I hurt.) Or it could be your sucky writing style. (Just kidding.):welldoneclap: :heh:

Heather