Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let me start by telling my story. I had gastric bypass on July 16th after it being post poned for a week. I arrived at the hospital the morning of my surgery for them to tell me it was delayed again for a few hours. I finally got in and had the surgery. My surgery took 5 hours but it went smooth, except I woke up from surgery not being able to feel my left arm or leg like they were a sleep. I didn't think anything about it until it didn't go away by the next day. All the hospital staff told me it was from positioning on the table and it happens and will go away in time. After about a week and a half I realized I really couldn't feel when I needed to use the rest room I was just going by habit not by need. I called my general doctor and they told me to go to the emergency room. There they did an MRI to find out one of the discs in my back was pushing on a large group of nerves that controls bladder, and bowel functions and also helps with feeling in the legs.... The hospital had me transferred to another hospital by ambulance that had a better neurological team. That day they decided I needed emergency surgery on my back and they would do it first thing in the morning. (More hospital stays) the following morning I had the surgery on my back instantly the pain in my legs was gone but the numbness in my left leg was still there. I stayed in the hospital for 3 days and during that 3 days I couldn't have a bowel movement or urinate on my own still so they had to catheter me and send me home with the catheter. Since then I have got the catheter out thank god and I am using the rest room on my own however my left leg is still numb which has made me so depressed. I feel so helpless and useless since I can't walk well or do anything physical at all. I had the gastric bypass surgery to lose weight to be able to play and keep up with my 2 year old son but now I can't even pick him up let a line keep up with him. If I go anywhere that is going to have some distance I have to use a wheel chair.

I should say I've had back problems with severe pain for years but never really any numbness.

I can't help but feel like I made a HUGE mistake having the gastric bypass surgery since that is when all this started. I can't say if it would of happened either way but I did happen. I'm 4 weeks out and down about 35lbs today for the first time I got food stuck and threw up which just adds to my frustration and depression.

I'm not looking for a putty party just looking for some support I need to make it through all this for my son and beautiful wife.

Sorry for any grammar or spelling I typed this all on my phone.

I am so sorry to hear all that. I know how hard last week was having the after of surgery so I can only imagine what you are going through with all the additional stuff. Hang in there. You will get through it. And it will all have been worth it.

You did make the right choice I promise you. I know today might not feel like you did but you will see . I had a ruptured disc and and part of my disc was on my nerve that left my leg numb also and after surgery still had a numb leg . It takes a long time for nerves to heal, my doctor told me it will come back . So just give it time !! Same with the bypass no one told us how hard mentally this was going to be ! And I believe that's harder because your minds hungry , you don't know what your body is trying to tell you . And your sore It is very emotional . But try to be patient all will come together .

You did make the right choice I promise you. I know today might not feel like you did but you will see . I had a ruptured disc and and part of my disc was on my nerve that left my leg numb also and after surgery still had a numb leg . It takes a long time for nerves to heal' date=' my doctor told me it will come back . So just give it time !! Same with the bypass no one told us how hard mentally this was going to be ! And I believe that's harder because your minds hungry , you don't know what your body is trying to tell you . And your sore It is very emotional . But try to be patient all will come together .[/quote']

You have a left numb leg too? Did you get used to it? It's really taking a toll on me mentally in only 29 years old and went from bring able to job to not being able to walk more then 50 feet.

About 6 years ago I had a hysterectomy and woke up not being able to feel both hands. I could grasp things but I had no perception of how tight or lose I was holding things, my arms would fall, and I couldn't feel hot or cold. It was like that for three days. While I was in the hospital, I had an MRI that showed two bulging discs in my neck. It really scared me too. I had to see a neurologist and get physical therapy for a while. I still wake up from time to time not being able to feel my hands, but it goes away. When I had the gastric bypass last week, I explained that situation to the surgeon so that they would be more careful with the way they place my neck and arms. I woke up feeling fine and could feel my hands, thank God. I'm so sorry you went through this. Lori is right, the nerves will slowly repair themselves and you'll be feeling better. Just give it some time. :)