Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

As some of you may have read in one of my other posts, my weight stabilized at 155 lbs 13 months post-op and that became my "official" maintenance weight goal. I say "official" because my "working" goal is really a window between 153 and 156 lbs. I'm a little more sensitive (OK paranoid - Lol) about going over my goal than falling below it. Fluctuations in your weight are a normal part of life and a fun part as well. Special occasions, dinners for two, family get-togethers with the world's cutest grandson, holidays - all usually result in an increased calorie count.

So I jump on the scales this morning and was a little surprised to see that I was 151.2 lbs. Not that long ago, an unexpected weight loss was the stuff that really put the zippity in my do-da! But when your goal is to maintain your weight, I believe that it's important to take action for losses, as well as gains.

So now that the stage is set, some of you may have noticed that I am a big proponent of food logs. So it occurred to me this morning that I have an opportunity to share with you guys a real-life example of how I use my log. There are a number of good apps but My Fitness Pal seems to be the most popular on this forum and is the one that I have used for about the last six months. I intentionally altered the MFP settings until it gave me a daily calorie goal of 1620 calories.

So this morning I'm at 151.2. I want to be at a minimum of 153. So I want to gain (how weird is that?) somewhere between 1.8 and 3.8 lbs - putting my weight back in my window between 153 and 155. So my plan for today is to try to hit a calorie count somewhere in the 1700-1800 range. Not an earth shattering change, just a minor adjustment. I'm not actually changing my settings in MFP. It would be more trouble than it's worth since I'm confident the increased calorie goal will be needed for only a day or two.

Will he make it?? Can it be that simple?? Place your bets!

I'll keep you posted with daily updates on my progress!!

cheese. Protein w/fat, and delicious!

I am longing for the day that I have a problem such as yours. Lol. I like how you use your personal experience and challenges as a teaching guide for the rest of us - it's much appreciated. Good luck and may we all learn from you! :-)

Could not agree with you more on the cheese - healthy AND it tastes good!! Our kind of combination!

Thank you for the kind words. It's a group effort. You've made some great contributions yourself as have so many others. Hard to imagine a more powerful resource than this forum for those of us on the RNY journey!!

DL.. I'm in a similar situation. Thanks for the tip about adjusting my fitness pal. I really hadn't thought of that

You're certainly welcome Ms. Kristy! In my case, I knew the calorie count that I wanted (1600) so I just played a little with MFP until it gave me that number.

(Note for folks who may be reading this who are new to MFP and still in the rapid weight loss stage of the journey - configuring MFP is a snap for you. Just put in your current weight, height and how much you want to lose per week and MFP will calculate the calorie goal for you. A simple but critically important first step. I've met "technology challenged" folks who never did that first step. As a result they were getting only a fraction of the benefit that MFP offers.)

I have has issues with MFP myself. It got to a point that it was more trouble than I was getting out of it. I know right now I really need to log my foods so that I can hopefully discover if foods are triggering my diarrhea. Any pointer would be great.

Wise man, I wish you the best of luck. I bet on success. Reading from your book of wisdom (that's what I call all your threads and posts) around here, I have no doubt, you know what you are doing. Oh yeah ... cheese is my weakness. Call me a rat but I love it!

OK guys, here's the update. Calorie count yesterday was 1789. Carbs 109g, Fat 59g, and Protein was 125g. That's a Carb/Fat/Protein ratio of 30%/36%/34%. FYI I have my MFP set for a goal of 40%/30%/30%. Weight this morning 152.8 so I gained 1.6 lbs by increasing my calories about 10% over my normal daily goal. Not far off my 153 lb minimum so the plan for today is to shoot for about 1700 calories and we'll see what happens.

Although the stats are "interesting" and the results so far are positive, the whole point of food logs is, in my opinion, what's happening "behind the scenes":

Monitoring - like many diseases obesity can be put into remission, but it can't be cured. We've all read stories about folks who have regained part or all of their weight loss after surgery. Sometimes relatively soon after surgery, other times many years later. We have to be vigilant. We have to be mindful of what we're eating. We have to be aware of weight changes, up or down. And we have to do all of those things - for life.

Accountability - logging your food keeps what you eat "right in your face" (no pun intended). Logging doesn't mean that you will succeed or fail. But IF you're brutally accurate with logging everything you eat, it does mean that you'll know why you succeed, or fail.

Control - Most of us spent many years trying and failing to control our weight. Bariatric surgery changes the game - big time. It creates physiological changes, microbiological changes and appears to even "reset" some genetic markers. Bottom line - it makes what was previously impossible, possible. It gives us control. Food logs are a simple tool that allows us to fine tune that control. With a surprising degree of precision.

Confidence - What's that old saying - "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't - you're right." I fell a couple pounds below my minimum weight. I very purposefully increased my calorie intake by a very specific amount. My weight responded - immediately - predictably - consistently. Science calls it "establishing cause and effect". I call it friggin amazing! I am in control. That's confidence.

You guys have a great day and I'll see you tomorrow with an update!!

I have has issues with MFP myself. It got to a point that it was more trouble than I was getting out of it. I know right now I really need to log my foods so that I can hopefully discover if foods are triggering my diarrhea. Any pointer would be great.

Here's a dirty little secret of mine. If you tell anyone I said this I'll deny it. I got to the exact same point several months back. My weight was stable. I felt great. Enjoying my new life. And my food log was, at times, a real PITA. Meals at home weren't bad. If it comes out of a package you can just scan the barcode. And if it's a recipe, you know the ingredients that go in so it's pretty simple to input in your log. But if you go out to eat it's a whole different ballgame. Although it is changing, most restaurants a step or two above fast food do not publish calorie counts. So you're left with putting in "generic" descriptions into your app and then trying to choose which one of the results are "close" to what you think you ate. Frustrating.

Then there's the issue of logging itself. Every day, day in and day out. Every time you eat something - even a little something. Cup of coffee - logging. Family outing at Disneyland - logging. Eat a dang pretzel - logging.

And how about that "Number of Servings" field in MFP. I HATE that field. First you have to read the nutrition label - what does the manufacturer consider a "serving"? But I didn't have that much. So let's see, did I have a 1/4 of a serving? 1/3? 5/8? Or my personal favorite - I have to count the number of nuts I eat so I can log the correct amount?! Pleeeeease!!

So I quit logging. Too much trouble. I've done it for well over a year. I know what I eat. I've got a pretty good feel for calorie counts. Hey - I am an expert! I am a professional! Log - I don't need no stinkin log. Goodbye! And good riddance!

Sound familiar? Can you relate? Anyone else besides music and I ever felt like this? Jump in and share your thoughts.

No, I haven't lost my mind. And yes - I am a food logging fanatic. But I also have a business that is demanding my immediate attention so...sharing the rest of the story will have to wait until tomorrow. See you guys then, same time, same place!

You hit the nail right on the head !!!! I really hate that... How you have to break down a serving size... Come on, it's such a pain!

DL... Quit being a slave to the scale Haha!!

DL... Quit being a slave to the scale Haha!!

LOL! I'm speechless!!

You know you are like a talk radio host. Giving us little teases so we will stay tuned.

Yes everything you said about logging food is just how I feel.

DO: Great thread. I am new to life after RNY. My surgery was 6/25/13. However I am NOT new to weight loss. Over my 48 years I have probably gained and lost hundreds of pounds. I know that a very important tool to success is using a food diary. In the past, doing so was so much work that after a few weeks or months I would give up - and, of course, gain the weight back. MFP makes it so easy. 3 months prior to surgery I found MFP - it helped me lose 39 pounds prior to surgery. I use it every day and track everything! Because it is so easy - AND FREE - I can see myself using it for years to come. Again, thanks for this thread - I will be watching for new installments, and praying for the day that I face your current issue!!