Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ugh...a rather personal question

I've tried searching the boards for an answer to this, but I'm currently on a Pre-Op diet w/protein drinks 2x a day. Why the diarrhea? Is this normal? Are there other reasons this might be happening? :) Any assistance would be appreciated. THANKS!

I havent ever done the Protein Shakes but my husband lives religiously with them.. He said occationally they give him stomache trouble like you discribe. and it also varys with what you mix them with and if you change brands... that is his word not mine.. I am sure everyone on this board who drinks them daily would have better info on that...

when I went on my preop diet 10 days ago, the first 3 days were AWFUL!!! It was so bad I cancelled a snowmobile trip ( I live to sled so this was a really big deal) becasue I could not leave the toilet! After about day 5 I started having regular although small BM's.

Hope this helps.

BTW, I only have 4 days left of this Hell!!!

Chris

When I am having trouble like that I get some Lifeway Kefir. Sooo many times in the past when I had lower GI issues, it helped.

Lifeway Kefir

During my pre-op diet I was on Atkins shakes and had normal, but less frequent BMs. Just before surgery things softened up a bit, but never like what was described here.

Liquid in, liquid out. When you start on solids it should get better. You might try adding Benefiber to whatever you are eating, liquid or otherwise.

".... It will pass though."

A less mature peron than I would find this a little humorous considering the subject of the thread.

Okay, giggles aside, I've had serious bowel problems whenever I've done liquid diets. They do resolve once your body figures out whats going on. For me, moderate exercise and stretching after meals seemed to help.

Best of luck, Sheila

If there are sugar substitutes in the shakes, that too will cause a laxative effect. ~Mandy

Fiber rocks. When I first saw my gastro to complain of diarrhea he said increase the Fiber. I said "did you hear correctly? I have diarrhea." He said that it helps with both diarrhea and constipation-- its helps regulate stuff toward that happy middle. So I started to increase the fiber and it worked. I love my fiber. I now have my husband on fiber for his mild IBS symptoms that come and go and he admits that it helps when he takes it. Once he takes it a while longer it will be time to increase his dosage ( I also sometimes sneak more into his food with benefiber. He knows I do this. He just doesn't know when)

You can also try adding acidopholous. If this is permittable on your diet you can try the dannon smoothie that has the biffidus regularus or whatever it is.

Good luck!

When I am having trouble like that I get some Lifeway Kefir. Sooo many times in the past when I had lower GI issues, it helped.

Lifeway Kefir

During my pre-op diet I was on Atkins shakes and had normal, but less frequent BMs. Just before surgery things softened up a bit, but never like what was described here.

I drink 8 oz of Keifer everyday. I am doing 16oz a day right now because I am on antibiotics, and want to prevent stomach problems. You can find Keifer in the yogurt section of the dairy department. It comes in lowfat as well. ~Mandy