Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2nd thoughts im thinking no

I'm having 2nd thoughts, I don't think I can do it. I don't like all the restrictions after. I'm thinking of doing it on my own one last time before surgery.

My surgery is scheduled for July 29th. I weigh 250. I'm doing the liquid diet for four weeks I'm on my 4th day. And I'm thinking maybe all the Vitamin problems, and the not being able to eat more then 1.5 oz of food, and the being tired, I'm tired all the time now. Maybe I should wait until my inc pays for the sleeve. Just so many doubts.

If you have Doubts then hold off on surgery....it's a life changing miracle but its also a pain in the butt at times! Try. Try your hardest, give it everything you've got to take control and give yourself the healthy happy life you deserve. But know that if you can't do it, there is this amazing tool available. Just don't wait til you are miserable and have bad health problems....if you do the surgery having doubts, you'll always have that doubt hanging over you. GOOD LUCK!!!!

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 206.8

Well that changes my answer a bit :D. Just know that the sleeve has its own batch of restrictions and problems. My 2 sleeved friends take the exact same Vitamins I do. Also know that weight loss has the potential to be less with the sleeve and there is no reversibility a all. If there's a problem, there's no undoing it. Best of luck!

You are having what is known as the two week freak. It's normal and it's a sense of panic. Don't let it get you off track of this amazing life changing transformation planned for you.

In my WLS support group there are a bunch of ladies who have had the sleeve and are disappointed with their progress. I don't think I've actually met a person who has had the sleeve and have met their goal. Just throwing that out there.

But if you are having second thoughts, and are not 100% committed to this lifestyle change, (because it is a huge change) then I would recommend holding off.

Gastric Bypass has completely changed my life, I can honestly say that this is the best decision that I have ever made for myself. It's hard, don't get me wrong there are struggles all the time; but looking in the mirror, and seeing the subtle changes makes it all worth while. Imagining the future I can have, imagining the children I could have (I had pcos and it was next to impossible to carry a baby with the amount of weight I was carrying) makes all the struggles seem minuscule.

This surgery isn't for everyone, and I hope you find what you're looking for. Best of luck on what ever you choose.

My surgery is scheduled for July 29th. I weigh 250. I'm doing the liquid diet for four weeks I'm on my 4th day. And I'm thinking maybe all the Vitamin problems, and the not being able to eat more then 1.5 oz of food, and the being tired, I'm tired all the time now. Maybe I should wait until my inc pays for the sleeve. Just so many doubts.

I had RNY Aug 13, 2012.... I didnt have a struggle at all from day one. I have not been tired (as a matter of fact I cant seem to stop! My family has to make me sit down at times!), I eat good healthy foods (not in mass quantity anymore, but enough to fuel my body instead) I dont have any Vitamin problems. Not everyone has issues. Some of us have the surgery and do very well.

I hope you make a decision based on what is right for you. It's not an easy way out I promise, but for your health it could be the best.

Good luck!

I also feel energetic. After the first week ( which I took pretty slow and easy) I was cutting grass and shopping. The only vomiting I have done was with liquid Tylenol - I can't seem to tolerate it. The only problem I had was a rash I developed that seemed to be an allergic reaction to something (no one could figure out what - I saw four doctors in four days). I had an itchy rash all over my lower belly, lower back, arms and legs. It gradually faded away. If not for that my second week out of work would've seemed more like a vacation than recovery time! :-) Going back to work was no problem, I made it through the first full workweek without feeling tired or uncomfortable in any way. Really I have been pleasantly surprised at how good I felt in so short a period of time following the surgery. :-)

My surgery itself was uneventful. No complications, pain tolerable the first couple days and almost nonexistent after 5-6 days. No catheter, no drain, one night hospital stay. The worst part of that time was gas pains that set in the third day, but they eased up after a few days. If there was a fly in the ointment it was that the weather was miserable (I had envisioned spending my recovery sitting on my deck and reading in the sun). :-)

Everyone's different and all experiences will be different. And it is a lifestyle change that also requires a Vitamin regimen for the rest of your life. You need to be very sure that it is what you want to do. If you have doubts, don't do it. Only you know what is best for you... :-)

Well that changes my answer a bit :D. Just know that the sleeve has its own batch of restrictions and problems. My 2 sleeved friends take the exact same Vitamins I do. Also know that weight loss has the potential to be less with the sleeve and there is no reversibility a all. If there's a problem' date=' there's no undoing it. Best of luck!

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 206.8[/quote']

I didn't mention that my 2 sleeved friends have had minimal weight loss. One is 5'3 and weighs 225, she's lost 10-12 pounds in the 2 years she's been sleeved, the other is a 5'11 guy who now weighs about 330, he was around 380 when sleeved 2 years ago. His diabetes is now under control but still on blood pressure, diabetes, and cholesterol meds. I know there are people with sleeves that do well, I just don't know em!

Sleeve vs. RNY is often decided by your personal history. For example, most doctors seem to favor RNY if you have a history of GERD. Sleeve is relatively new (first described in 1993) vs. RNY which has a history spanning more than 30 years so there is considerably more clinical data for RNY. If there is no medical basis for recommending one or the other, your doctor may not have a specific recommendation and the decision is essentially up to you. But...

As others have said, if you have the slightest doubt about surgery being the best option for you, that is a compelling reason for waiting. You are much better off waiting until you are confident that you have exhausted other options. You are also much more likely to succeed with the surgery option when and if you are completely committed to making the all important lifestyle changes that are the basis of success. Either surgery can be defeated.

Having said that, I believe that most RNY veterans would say that the Vitamin regimen (life long) is indeed a small price to pay for the life-changing results. I lost 130 lbs over 13 months and have maintained my weight of 155 lbs for more than seven months. Type 2 diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea, hyperlipidemia, back and joint pain - all gone. And my Vitamin profile across the board is spot on.

The majority of "all the restrictions", including "not being able to eat more than 1.5oz of food", are in the first year. After that, there is relatively little that you can't eat - but you will likely find that there are many things that you simply choose not to eat. Everyone is a little different but I can tell you that at 20 months post-op, I eat anything I want with one exception - white rice. I've only tried it twice but that was enough - late dumping in the form of hypoglycemia both times. You also will likely find that compared to pre-op, a whole world of things open up to you that were not options pre-op. I have more energy than I ever imagined possible. Regardless of the method you choose, I think that you'll find that losing the excess weight will result in a remarkable change in your energy level.

Elective surgery is never something you want to rush into. Do the research, exhaust other options and honestly evaluate your personal commitment to doing whatever it takes. In the words of Winston Churchill, "It is of no use saying 'we are doing the best we can'. Success means doing what is necessary." We all wish you the very best in your journey and hope that you will continue to keep us posted on your progress. You're gonna love the new you!!

Sleeve vs. RNY is often decided by your personal history. For example' date=' most doctors seem to favor RNY if you have a history of GERD. Sleeve is relatively new (first described in 1993) vs. RNY which has a history spanning more than 30 years so there is considerably more clinical data for RNY. If there is no medical basis for recommending one or the other, your doctor may not have a specific recommendation and the decision is essentially up to you. But...

As others have said, if you have the slightest doubt about surgery being the best option for you, that is a compelling reason for waiting. You are much better off waiting until you are confident that you have exhausted other options. You are also much more likely to succeed with the surgery option when and if you are completely committed to making the all important lifestyle changes that are the basis of success. Either surgery can be defeated.

Having said that, I believe that most RNY veterans would say that the Vitamin regimen (life long) is indeed a small price to pay for the life-changing results. I lost 130 lbs over 13 months and have maintained my weight of 155 lbs for more than seven months. Type 2 diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea, hyperlipidemia, back and joint pain - all gone. And my Vitamin profile across the board is spot on.

The majority of "all the restrictions", including "not being able to eat more than 1.5oz of food", are in the first year. After that, there is relatively little that you can't eat - but you will likely find that there are many things that you simply choose not to eat. Everyone is a little different but I can tell you that at 20 months post-op, I eat anything I want with one exception - white rice. I've only tried it twice but that was enough - late dumping in the form of hypoglycemia both times. You also will likely find that compared to pre-op, a whole world of things open up to you that were not options pre-op. I have more energy than I ever imagined possible. Regardless of the method you choose, I think that you'll find that losing the excess weight will result in a remarkable change in your energy level.

Elective surgery is never something you want to rush into. Do the research, exhaust other options and honestly evaluate your personal commitment to doing whatever it takes. In the words of Winston Churchill, "It is of no use saying 'we are doing the best we can'. Success means doing what is necessary." We all wish you the very best in your journey and hope that you will continue to keep us posted on your progress. You're gonna love the new you!![/quote']

Wow thank you so so much, very big help. Right now I'm on the fence leaning more to getting the sugery