Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please help me!

About 5pm last night, I really screwed up. I had ordered stromboli for my hubby and daughter, and I just wanted one bite.

I chewed it up well and swallowed, and about 10 minutes later, my world fell apart. I started gagging, vomiting, foaming, and having the most excrutiating pain, and it was non-stop for hours. I finally got to a place where I could doze off, and then about 15 minutes later, it started again. I was finally able to get my pain meds down which forced me to sleep for several hours.

I woke up a few minutes ago, and if I even take the smallest sip of Water, the pain starts all over again. I am dying of thirst, and oh so regretful that I did this! :) The pain feels like it could be severe gas, but a Gas-X strip didn't take it away. It's also hurting in my back a bit.

What have I done to myself? Do I need to call my doctor, or will this pass? Surely I can't be the only idiot who has done this! :(

I would call your doctor immediately. I was banded on 2/5 and haven't experienced anything like what your going through, but any kind of severe change should be addressed with your doctor. I hope you are feeling better soon! Good Luck!

I agree, you should probably call you doctor.

This sounds like it could be one of two things. Either you got the stromboli stuck. Hence the foaming, vomiting and pain. Then what happens is your stoma swells and causes further problems and difficulty getting anything down. My recommendation, if this is the problem......... Once you have passed the offending item (or have had to have it removed) do liquids for a while to give your stoma a break. And in the future, have some papaya enzyme on hand at all times and use them if you're going to have some "higher risk" Proteins.

OR........

(and since I didn't know what stromboli was I had to look it up) It appears a stromboli is a high fat food. You could have had a gall bladder attack. When I had a gall bladder attack, I had all of these same symptoms. I felt like I was going to explode and the pain sometimes went into the right side of my back. It felt like something was stuck in the center of my abdomen and the pressure kept getting worse. I vomited, but it was all mucous and foam. If these symptoms sound more familiar to you, ask the doc to check your gall bladder while he's examining you and don't let it go on too long.

Good luck,

I have called my doctor, but no return call yet-they're closed today. I'm pretty sure that what it is, is reflux. I can get Water down with minimal pain, and if I pound on my chest right afterwards. I'm afraid to try food and my stomach is growling up a storm! The pain is now settled directly between my boobs. Ironically, I'm having no incision pain at all today.

There's no more vomiting, no more foaming, so that nasty food stuff must be completely gone. I'll NEVER do that again!!!

I have no gallbladder, so that's not the problem.

Any clue how to get rid of the reflux?

oh my jesus, no wonder your in pain. You ate something you shouldn't have. You probably have esophagitis from trying to eat that thing. I got from having my band tightened and then trying to eat a piece of fried chicken. You need to call your doctor and get them to prescribe you the desolvable prevacid.

Why do I feel like there is a whole new world of medical terminology ahead of me?

Thanks. I'm actually getting a Protein shake down right now, but it's very slow going with lots and lots of gas.

Please let this be a lesson to anyone in the future!!

if you cant get your doctor today go get some extra strength gaviscon antacid it is great

Is it chewable? I don't think I could get a pill down to save my life!

I'm supposed to be anyway....this was a major cheat and it has cost me in a BIG way!!

Lesson learned.

Thanks for the help :)

Hey Helen, So sorry for your pain and troubles. Yes, yes please call your doc - there was a woman who posted on my docs website who ate a piece of chicken a few days after surgery and did have a slip. Our doc prescribes liquids for 21 days to really ensure that band stays in place. How long are you suppossed to be on liquds for? Does your doc have an emergency number or doc on call - i would strongly suggest you call him/her just in case. And no you are not alone - lord knows we have all done stuff we shouldn't but this is the most important time for you - healing - no food/solids. take care.

I talked to the doc on call's office (finally) a little while ago. They said that it was probably because my esophegus is swollen that I'm having the pain, and that because everything is going down, it's probably nothing to worry about. They recommended liquid Motrin to help with the inflammation and said ice chips and cold drinks for today (glad I didn't try the broth). Of course, I need to follow up with my regular surgeon.

They also said I wasn't the first one to try it, and wouldn't be the last, but if this can teach anybody here before they do it, I'll be happy.

DON'T CHEAT THIS EARLY IN THE GAME!

Hey HelenC......

Try applesauce!!!! eat it with a baby spoon it is one of the most soothing foods listed for acid reflux! It should be room temp and take a spoonful and rest inbetween. I had a sundried Tomato stuck in my pouch and the apple sauce was the only thing that soothed me and made me feel better after they opened my band and let it pass. I was irritated and very uncomfortable....... DONT DO THAT AGAIN!! YOU GOT THE BAND TO BE A TOOL.... TAKE CARE OF YOUR TOOLS! GOOD LUCK

LOL...believe me, I will NOT be doing that again. There is NOTHING that could taste good enough to be worth going through that pain and sickness again!