Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My doctor really wants me to consider having the sleeve done. I have read stuff about both. I like the fact that the down time with the sleeve is much shorter, can you eat pretty much all foods, and you don't have to worry about dumping. You still lose the same percentage of weight. But I like with RNY the weight comes off quicker, there's more data on it, it's restrictive. I don't know.

My doctor really wants me to consider having the sleeve done. I have read stuff about both. I like the fact that the down time with the sleeve is much shorter' date=' can you eat pretty much all foods, and you don't have to worry about dumping. You still lose the same percentage of weight. But I like with RNY the weight comes off quicker, there's more data on it, it's restrictive. I don't know.[/quote']

I missed 7 days of work post-op for RNY....depending on what you do there may not be much difference. Weight loss with RNY is somewhat higher than with sleeve....you got a lot to study :) good luck!!!!

HW 312, pre-op (lap-band) 294, pre-op (RNY) 255, surgery date 2/11/13, goal weight 154, current weight 225

I personally think I'd be happier with rny, it's what I wanted from the beginning.

My surgery is today! I am having rny. I had made up my mind on the sleeve but after extensive research and talking to people who had both, I chose the rny. My Doctor was for the rny from the beginning. I have reflux and high blood pressure and borderline diabetic. This surgery will cure all of these. The sleeve tends to give you reflux or makes it worse. For me, I like sweets a whole lot and dumping can be good for you. I know with the sleeve you can pretty much eat what you want...just less of it. I need more restriction than that. I know me! Good luck on what you decide.

Jackie,

I think u made a great choice

My surgeon said you loose the most weight with RNY and not as much with the sleeve. I wanted to get be best results and that was the RNY. My down time was 7 days, I had surgery on a Monday and I was back to work the following Monday.

I have the sleeve have had it for 6 months cost me 25k. I have lost all of 35lbs and now have to get the Rny for its metabolic reset value. The sleeve has a 20% failure rate. The sleeve hurts like a sob mind you I have had 3 9-1/2lb babys all natural childbirth . Gallbladder removed in the 90's lmao. The sleeve hurts more. Just my thoughts lol

I originally was scheduled for the sleeve but later opted for RNY because of data showing longer term success with weight loss. But whether we choose sleeve or RNY, we still have to change our eating habits. I am very pleased with RNY four months post op. My weight loss is now very slow, but that's okay with me. RNY was more expensive for me than the sleeve (self pay). But it was an investment in better health long term.

I have the sleeve have had it for 6 months cost me 25k. I have lost all of 35lbs and now have to get the Rny for its metabolic reset value. The sleeve has a 20% failure rate. The sleeve hurts like a sob mind you I have had 3 9-1/2lb babys all natural childbirth . Gallbladder removed in the 90's lmao. The sleeve hurts more. Just my thoughts lol

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. I started looking into wls a couple of years ago, and was hooked on the sleeve. Now, I have decided in RNY for a bunch of reasons even though the sleeve seems to be extremely popular right now:

1. My surgeon doesn't trust the sleeve yet. He's says there's not enough research, RNY has higher success rate, and he worries about the stomach. That is, he doesn't want to toss 90% of my stomach in the trash can after a rather "new and hip" surgery. He only uses it for folks who are too high risk for RNY as a stepping stone. Same for all the surgeons in my clinic.

2. Insurance in my state usually doesn't cover it unless your BMI is over 50. I'm at 43 right now.

3. Guess what all will slip right deliciously through that sleeve??? BEN & JERRY's. GRAETER'S. Milkshakes! chocolate fondue!!! Sugary drinks! Mmmmm.... Pathetic as it is, I NEED dumping syndrome. Ice cream....mmmm...gelato...mmmm... Y get the idea.

I'm following a lot of blogs of people that have had success with VSG, but it's just not for me. I'm going ALL in. :)

Louisville, KY ~ RNY June 2013 ~ Sent from my iPad using RNYTalk

I chose RNY because I have GERD and my surgeon and a lot of research showed that GERD plus VSG was a formula for esophagus cancer. And RNY ultimately cures GERD

I had the vsg done in November 2012.... it has been awful ! It made my GERD 10 times worse , I can't tolerate any solid food.... so , I'm scheduled for my revision to RNY May 7th. I wish I had went with my gut ( no pun intended) the first go around. It ultimately is your decision, your choice , all I would offer is trust your own judgement and don't just go with what's popular at the moment. Good luck and God Bless