Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to tell co-workers?

I think I'm going to "lie" and tell them I needed to have an ovarian cyst removed.

Does that sound beliveable?

That's the excuse I've been using. It works great with the men. If you mention any part of the female reproductive system, they end the conversation and vacate the area immediately.

NOOOOOOOO , don't tell!!!!

I just posted on "what peeves you" what an ugly experience I had when one of my co-workers found out about my LB.

Some people are just plain rotten !!!!!.

When they notice your weight loss ...just say "Thanks I guess my diet and exercise are really working"

I am going back to work tomorrow and I don't know what to tell my co-works. I lied and said I was getting my apendix out. But they are going to start noticing that I'm not eatting lunch with them (we order out almost everyday) I won't be able to eat normally for a couple weeks. I am normally really honest with people but for some reason I want to keep this a very personal thing. I guess I don't want anyone judging me or making comments about things they really have no idea about.

I only told my husband (wouldn't have told him if I didn't have to) and my best friend. I chose not to tell my Mother or anyone else, because like everyone else has sort of said - I wanted to do this on my own without people breathing down my neck asking a bunch of questions that are none of their business. So far I am so pleased that I haven't told anyone else - maybe in time I will, but for right now my little band buddy is MY secret.

That's the excuse I've been using. It works great with the men. If you mention any part of the female reproductive system, they end the conversation and vacate the area immediately.

Me too - I have just said 'girl stuff' and you wouldn't believe how fast folks change the subject, especially men!

Thanks!

I can't use gall bladder removal, already had that done 9 yrs ago. My boss just had hernia repair surgery so I thought I couldn't use that one either.

cyst it is!

absolutely positively DO NOT TELL ANYONE at work and be careful who else you tell - imo you can always tell people - even one or two years AFTER surgery - no one should know except your very closest loved one - again, just wait - once you tell you can not take it back.

also, in my case i haven't lost any significant weight and the pain is unimaginable - it would be worse if i had told co workers and my mom, etc and had them constantly scrutinizing me - ugh can't even imagine it

it is your business but please think carefully

For me, I didn't want to tell people because I had several reasons. 1) - I was unsure if it would really work for me, 2) I didn't want people asking me on a daily basis - "how much have you lost" - 3) I didn't want people judging me - or saying I took the easy way out 4) - I wanted to keep it private.

I'm so glad I didn't tell - I might tell later on, but for now, I am keeping it a secret.

Your making the right decision by not telling. The ones that have told usually say they regret it, or at least some of them do.

I know everyone's different and has different experiences, but I'm one of those who is telling the world.

Most of the people I work with (about 40-50) know, my whole family, most of my friends. But then again, they also know that I've been battling my health and weight problems for a long time. Everyone I've told has been so supportive and encouraging...I don't know what I'd do without all the support. And the more people I tell, the more I find out that people don't know as much about the surgery as you would think. They think it's just like the bypass and (as we all know) it's far from it. I've had to really go into detailed explainations with some people before they understood completely. So i feel as if i'm doing a public service and getting blessed in return (everyone is praying for me to get my final approval and have surgery). And one girl I work with is telling her cousin about it (the cousin is in our boat, overweight, health problems, the whole deal - but doesn't know about the surgery).

I do understand the constant questions thouhg. Every day someone asks what my status is. But it keeps me encouraged. It keeps me on track knowing that THIS many people I interact with on a daily basis are going to be holding me accountable. It will keep me straight as far as diet goes, and again, will keep me encouraged. Already my direct co-workers get on to me if I talk about eating something I shouldn't be, and I appreciate it...:clap2:

But, if you're going to tell people something else, be as vague as you want...I'd just say tell them you had to have some surgery, non life threatening, assure them there's nothing to worry about and that you just don't feel like discussing it. if they prod, go with the 'female issues' excuse. or say "personal female issues"....that should stop them in their tracks :D

Good luck in whatever you end up telling them!!!

Yep...I agree with keeping it vague. I don't know that I would lie, though, because that might come back to bite you someday. I just said, "I'm having surgery. It's something necessary, but not major...(I didn't want them to think I was dying). It's kinda private...if you know what I mean" (with an uncomfortable look). Most people quickly apologized for prying and that was the end of it. Whoever said that the men cannot get away fast enough when they think it is 'female stuff' is right. That was the end of discussion.

They've watched me rollercoaster up and down the scale for years, so 'another diet' is no biggie. They probably just figure..."here she goes again." Actually, I honestly think that we believe that most people are far more interested in our personal lives than they really are. Granted, the nosy busybodies will always be nosy -- but they are the last ones I would want to know, anyway. If nothing else, this will be a lesson in assertiveness -- not giving out more information than you are comfortable with. :)

I figure a few years down the road when I have lost the weight and look absolutely stunning, I will be able to tell them. To me, that's another reason I don't want to lie. Until then, this is my little secret. :D

I didn't tell any anyone other than my husband and two sons. As far as work goes, I told them that since I had lost a few pounds prior to my 'hernia repair' I was going to continue watching what I ate and I was going to continue seeing a nutritionist for better health. They know that there are foods I can't eat now and with the nutritionist recommendations, I am on a special diet. Just make it seem like it is no big deal, change the subject when it gets to food or what you eat, or be direct and say that you don't want to discuss it. From what I have read on this forum, I am glad that it is only my family that knows. People want to see you fail for some ungodly reason...the less who knows the better in my opinion. And the weight loss is so gradual that the topic of what you eat will no longer be of interest.

Fourtunatley I work with 3 other banded people and 3 that have had gastric bypass. Me and friend are going through this at the same time. She wanted to keep her's a secret but we work in such a small office it wasn't working too well. I've been very open about what i've done becasue if I hadn't watched my co-workers go on their own journeys, i probably would have never had this done. If my experience will help someone else I would want them to know. I told my husband if he didn't want to tell anyone he could just say i'm having a cyst removed. I also didn't want my children to know so I just told them I had stomach surgery to fix something that's all, and that basically explains the diet. Everyone has been real supportive so I'm fourtunate.

I am going back to work tomorrow and I don't know what to tell my co-works. I lied and said I was getting my apendix out. But they are going to start noticing that I'm not eatting lunch with them (we order out almost everyday) I won't be able to eat normally for a couple weeks. I am normally really honest with people but for some reason I want to keep this a very personal thing. I guess I don't want anyone judging me or making comments about things they really have no idea about.

I've told them Im going to get my gallbladder and I'll be on a diet. its worked so far!