Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what tests did you have to have done prior to surgery

I have to have labs, endoscopy, ekg, pysch eval, 6 month diet plus meet with a nutritionist.

Amanda, I have finished all my tests/workup. Try were:

Endoscopy

Cardiologist - clearance/stress test

Primary doctor - clearance/blood

Gallbladder ultrasound

Psychiatry evaluation - clearance

2 support group meetings

3 - nutrition consecutive visits

5 years / weight documentation/doctor

Just waiting for my last nutrition visit for March 4 then all set to go!!

Good luck. Don't let it overwhelm you. :)

I have to have labs, endoscopy, ekg, pysch eval, 6 month diet plus meet with a nutritionist.

I had endoscopy, labs, 3 support group meetings, 3 meetings with Nut (because my surgery kept getting re-scheduled), 5 years documentation, psych eval and a meeting with a Derm because they found something in my esophagus that was weird. Going in on Valentine's Day! So excited. Worth every hoop I had to jump through!

6 month weigh in with the nutritionist

Psychiatry evaluation

Pulmonary testing

Cardiac Clearance- Stress Test, Echo, EKG and Nuclear Stress Test

2 sleep studies- not recommended by surgeon but by PCP.

Hematologist- monthly B-12 injections

6 Month pre-op diet and weigh ins with my PCP. EKG, sleep Apnea Evaluation, Psych Eval, Cardio Eval, Nutrition class. It's amazing how different the requirements are from insurance to insurance. My employer changed insurances mid-stream for me and all of my requirements changed!!

What insurance do you all have? I have bcbs of Illinois ppo.

I'm poor lol I have IL All Kids

I have to have labs' date=' endoscopy, ekg, pysch eval, 6 month diet plus meet with a nutritionist.[/quote']

I had the same plus center of excellence tour and nutrition/registration process class (all one class) and we were invited to speak with patients who were in their rooms from their Surg for face to face confirmation of the experience. We were also walked down to pre-register for our date of Surg.

Separately I saw an endocrinologist on my own, only because I was concerned with my low thyroid level which barely made it into the normal limits. Insurance and Surg never required it. I also had a sleep study done before anything was initiated due to other issue I had, so they didn't need it from me.

Oh and the nut did take copies of my food diary for last 30 days and submitted that with her clearance (saw her once because I already had a nut thru my Surg office).

My surgeon gave me a big list on what is needed prior.

I didn't need to complete all of these but most of them I have to.

Physical Exam

Blood Draw

EKG

Chest X Ray

Cardiac Stress Test

Pulmonary Function Test

sleep Study

EGD

Colonoscopy

Gallbladder Ultrasound

Venous Ultrasound

I also needed 6 months nutrition, a physc eval, and 3 weeks of a Life Skills Workshop.

It varies for every Bariatric Program tho.

Amanda' date=' I have finished all my tests/workup. Try were:

Endoscopy

Cardiologist - clearance/stress test

Primary doctor - clearance/blood

Gallbladder ultrasound

Psychiatry evaluation - clearance

2 support group meetings

3 - nutrition consecutive visits

5 years / weight documentation/doctor

Just waiting for my last nutrition visit for March 4 then all set to go!!

Good luck. Don't let it overwhelm you. :)[/quote']

Hi Debbie best of luck too the brighter future u and a new body! I hope you prepare your partner or husband you will have too go extra clothes shopping lol but you will deserve it I am I haven't said who I am I am Dan from the UK I had my RNY op in April 08 and at my biggest I was 26st 5lbs and I had too lose at least lose 5stone for the op too make it safe for the surgeons too operate on me but I lost 6stone instead lol when u have had the op you will feel a lot of pain and may see a lot of wires attached up too u but that normal practice too stay in ICUs or HDU for few days too monitor any problems that may arise then u may be encourage to have clear Soups which the ones I had were vile and I only managed few mouthfuls at a time Butkus as I time went on the pain settled down and it was trial and error what I cold or not tolerate what I coldest for about a year this went on then it was making sure I eat foods I could tolerate but not and again try something that my stomach may have not tolerated earlier and if I eat and stayed down then great but what I eat didn't I left that food for a while My main advice alway listen and feel when your stomach is full and how too know where too stop dispite coniously you may want too go back too old eating habbits but u can't u may sort grieve and feel really down a first as u can't find comfort in your no1mate again but this will go in time. Yet after 5 years since my op I have gone from 5xl too size large even in medium tops now but I have about a half a stone left around my stomach and awful excess skin around my legs too which uk gov are refusing too pay for but I am fighting on though pain though but on a final positive having my mobility back too a level as I have mild cerebral palsy. Also hard of hearing too yet I can hear though hearing aids the other thing u will notice after about year you find people that know may not recognise you at first and you may think they are being rude its not as you will look a total new a amazing person you deserve. I wish you all the love and best of luck in the world love from Dan, Shrewsbury UK

Sent from my iPad using RNYTalk

I had to go to a consultation with thw surgeon. Then a nutritionist class then one on one with the dietician. The a psych eval. Then I got approved.

Hi Debbie best of luck too the brighter future u and a new body! I hope you prepare your partner or husband you will have too go extra clothes shopping lol but you will deserve it I am I haven't said who I am I am Dan from the UK I had my RNY op in April 08 and at my biggest I was 26st 5lbs and I had too lose at least lose 5stone for the op too make it safe for the surgeons too operate on me but I lost 6stone instead lol when u have had the op you will feel a lot of pain and may see a lot of wires attached up too u but that normal practice too stay in ICUs or HDU for few days too monitor any problems that may arise then u may be encourage to have clear Soups which the ones I had were vile and I only managed few mouthfuls at a time Butkus as I time went on the pain settled down and it was trial and error what I cold or not tolerate what I coldest for about a year this went on then it was making sure I eat foods I could tolerate but not and again try something that my stomach may have not tolerated earlier and if I eat and stayed down then great but what I eat didn't I left that food for a while My main advice alway listen and feel when your stomach is full and how too know where too stop dispite coniously you may want too go back too old eating habbits but u can't u may sort grieve and feel really down a first as u can't find comfort in your no1mate again but this will go in time. Yet after 5 years since my op I have gone from 5xl too size large even in medium tops now but I have about a half a stone left around my stomach and awful excess skin around my legs too which uk gov are refusing too pay for but I am fighting on though pain though but on a final positive having my mobility back too a level as I have mild cerebral palsy. Also hard of hearing too yet I can hear though hearing aids the other thing u will notice after about year you find people that know may not recognise you at first and you may think they are being rude its not as you will look a total new a amazing person you deserve. I wish you all the love and best of luck in the world love from Dan' date=' Shrewsbury UK

Sent from my iPad using RNYTalk[/quote']

Thank you so much for your kind reply. It's nice to meet and get the support from people who have gone through this as well. I'm from Rhode Island and my surgery will be gastric RNY on May 14 ! I'm excited at this point but I do feel the nerves coming on. My pre op appt is scheduled for Tuesday, April 23. I start my pre op diet on my Birthday, April 30. So, Yaaaaay happy birthday to me to a new healthy life approaching me! I will keep you posted on my surgery, post op and my success. Great job on your continued weight loss. Your doing fantastic. Best wishes & God bless.

Surgery date: May 14, 2013

I had to go to a consultation with thw surgeon. Then a nutritionist class then one on one with the dietician. The a psych eval. Then I got approved.

What ins do you have? If you mentioned it i missed it. I have bcbs ill I hope they are as easy!