Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

salads and raw veggies

ok - yet another dumb question from a newbie.... but I tried a search and came up with nothing....

after being banded - can you eat salads and raw veggies?

:hungry:

I told you it was a dumb question!

Helena

Once you have the band, generalities with food really have to go out the window. Some people can eat salads with no problem, but it is also true that salads cause a problem for many people. Just gotta try. I've always loved salads so I'm hoping I'll be tolerant of them. I'm only three weeks out so it's too early to tell. I'm still having trouble eating anything and everything.

I am a huge salad eater and lover! I have never had a problem with salads or raw veggies--I think the key is to take small bites, and chew well, just like with everything else! And like Mark said--you just have to try! By the way Mark--do you live in Denver? I am in Pueblo--and really getting tired of the snow and cold weather.. I want it to go back to being in the 50's like it used to be in the winter here! And don't worry--things will get easier for you-just be patient!

I think everyone's different. I don't have a problem with salads at all, but I can't eat the tomatoes. Sadly, however, I DO have a problem with both cooked and uncooked vegetables. Last night we went to Outback; I had a salad, steak, and then finished it off with very well-cooked broccoli. The broccoli came back up, which I totally don't get because I had no problem at all with the steak. I miss my veges :-(

I am a huge salad eater and lover! I have never had a problem with salads or raw veggies--I think the key is to take small bites, and chew well, just like with everything else! And like Mark said--you just have to try! By the way Mark--do you live in Denver? I am in Pueblo--and really getting tired of the snow and cold weather.. I want it to go back to being in the 50's like it used to be in the winter here! And don't worry--things will get easier for you-just be patient!

Actually I'm from Maryland. I just went to Denver because Dr. Kirshenbaum has such a great price for the surgery - and a reputation as fine surgeon. It worked out well for me, although I am still struggling a bit because I have so much restriction still. It's very hard to learn how to eat tiny bites in slow motion. I still find that eat too quickly all the time even when I'm trying hard not to.

I know what you mean about the weather. I was dodging airport closings to and from Denver to get to my appointment. We made it through OK but it was touch and go. We've been going through a major cold snap here as well. It's been 5 or 10 degrees at night and between 20 and 30 during the day. That's cold for us here. We're not really prepared for it here so it takes its toll. Quite a number of our Metro stations, for example, are outdoors. But it is, after all, February, so I guess I can't really be too surprised if the weather is cold.

Mark--I know what you mean about taking small bites and eating slowly. I still have trouble doing that--especially now that I am in need of a fill--I can eat fast, and take big bites and it doesn't bother me(although I wish it would!) I can't get a fill until the 26th of Feb though, because my doc is out of the country right now! But it is so hard to re-train yourself after so many years of eating a certain way. Well, try and stay warm! By the way, will you have to come back to Denver for your fills, or is there someone in Maryland that can do them? Semms like that could get a little expensive if you do!

Mark--I know what you mean about taking small bites and eating slowly. I still have trouble doing that--especially now that I am in need of a fill--I can eat fast, and take big bites and it doesn't bother me(although I wish it would!) I can't get a fill until the 26th of Feb though, because my doc is out of the country right now! But it is so hard to re-train yourself after so many years of eating a certain way. Well, try and stay warm! By the way, will you have to come back to Denver for your fills, or is there someone in Maryland that can do them? Semms like that could get a little expensive if you do!

I'll probably get my fills in Maryland even though they cost $150 or $200. I can get them for just about free if I go to Denver, but the time and trouble is probably not worth it. At this point, though, I feel like I may never need a fill.

Wouldn't that be nice--to never need a fill? But, I doubt you will always feel this way. I wish I felt that way right now! Hang in there!

I eat salads all the time! Each person is different, and until you try something you won't know. Also, if you can't eat it at first, wait for a while and then try it again.