Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To bypass or to sleeve? That is the question.

As I'm sure most of you ex banders, you probably had to battle between the bypass or the sleeve. I have spoke with three different Bariatric surgeons and I have gotten differing opinions of which surgery I should do. One thing I know for sure is I want my band out. But I don't want the same symptoms I had with the band to occur with this new surgery. One doctor says if you get the sleeve then you will still have the reflux. But the bypass is a larger surgery and may have longterm risks.

How did you decide which one to do? Any help would be appreciated it!

My first visit to the doc (gastro) was because of a hiatal hernia, and then the doc suggested I get the sleeve to also start losing weight, as he could use the time in the OR to take care of both my problems (hernia and obesity). I went to another doctor, who is the best in town and he said because of my reflux (provoked by the hernia) he suggested the bypass, which would make the reflux go away. He also mentioned that many patients who decide for sleeve or lapband continue to suffer from reflux for even a year and sometimes they have to convert to bypass in the future. This is going to be the first surgery for me (never have had lap band). My surgery is scheduled for March 11.

Good luck in your decision making.... :)

Had the band in March 2010. Converted to rny 13 days ago. The recovery time is way rough, because converting is a much bigger surgery than just the rny alone. But to HOPEFULLY never have reflux again is more than worth it!

My first visit to the doc (gastro) was because of a hiatal hernia' date=' and then the doc suggested I get the sleeve to also start losing weight, as he could use the time in the OR to take care of both my problems (hernia and obesity). I went to another doctor, who is the best in town and he said because of my reflux (provoked by the hernia) he suggested the bypass, which would make the reflux go away. He also mentioned that many patients who decide for sleeve or lapband continue to suffer from reflux for even a year and sometimes they have to convert to bypass in the future. This is going to be the first surgery for me (never have had lap band). My surgery is scheduled for March 11.

Good luck in your decision making.... :) [/quote']

What was your pre surgery weight?

I opted for rny because I decided that I would not have surgery again so I might as well do it. So glad I did ! I have been off the reflux meds since surgery. No reflux at all, its been 2 months: ) good luck!

What was your pre surgery weight?

Current weight is 267 lbs.... surgery scheduled for 3/11... can't wait!!!

Current weight is 267 lbs.... surgery scheduled for 3/11... can't wait!!!

Ok, congrats and see you on the otherside....whoop whoop

HI TLP1212, thanks for the reply. What caused your reflux with the band? I had a dilated pouch, so that started my reflux, so I'm wondering if I'll still have it, if I get sleeved. And what is the recovery time with the bypass?

Had the band in March 2010. Converted to rny 13 days ago. The recovery time is way rough, because converting is a much bigger surgery than just the rny alone. But to HOPEFULLY never have reflux again is more than worth it!

As I'm sure most of you ex banders' date=' you probably had to battle between the bypass or the sleeve. I have spoke with three different Bariatric surgeons and I have gotten differing opinions of which surgery I should do. One thing I know for sure is I want my band out. But I don't want the same symptoms I had with the band to occur with this new surgery. One doctor says if you get the sleeve then you will still have the reflux. But the bypass is a larger surgery and may have longterm risks.

How did you decide which one to do? Any help would be appreciated it![/quote']

All surgeries have risks look at the risk we took with band! Slippage, leakage , erosion etc...

My md also explained if we have stuck issues with band we will with sleeve. Depending on your surgeons method the malabsorption that you may be wriied about as a risk with bypass is minimal now. You must take Vitamins the rest of your life. There are long term side effects to all wls surgeries..

The sleeve consider if you have a problem down the road with your stomach

remember you don't have much left they take at least 85% of you stomach out. With bypass you stomach is

still there off to the side not being used. They have come so far with this procedure they probably will be able to use

the part of your stomach should you ever need it. Sleeve you also have staple lines that can open or leak. Bypass you has the

Anastomosis that can leak or ulcer or? Long story short the risk is large in any surgery.....

Thank you everyone for your posts. I decided to go with the bypass. Thursday is surgery day! Please keep me in your thought and prayers.

In my prayers as of now!!! Best vibes for you.

Well guys just an update on me. I had the surgery last Thursday and I'm already out of the hospital. Each day gets easier. I feel a weight lifted off of me. It's nice to not have the band in there anymore. But now I have a dip where the band was. It's a pretty big dip in my stomach. Could be just inflamed from the surgery still but does anyone else have that?

Glad to hear you are on the other side of surgery and hoping all is going well?

How is that dip? What stage of the food plan are you in?

Well guys just an update on me. I had the surgery last Thursday and I'm already out of the hospital. Each day gets easier. I feel a weight lifted off of me. It's nice to not have the band in there anymore. But now I have a dip where the band was. It's a pretty big dip in my stomach. Could be just inflamed from the surgery still but does anyone else have that?

I had a conversion from band to bypass and have a big dipper kit will go away I had it with band number two also...

I had same issues, and my doc said same thing about the sleeve and my acid reflux; so knowing there is that chance I'm going with what I should have the first time and getting the By-Pass!!