Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cant Believe I did this 2 Myself!

Spldgrl, I don't have any stitches, or staples, only the steri-strips (kinda like the butterfly strips, only wider) and everything is healing VERY nicely, thank God. No redness, or oozing, or anything. I do sit at my job, so I'm glad to have the advice to bring a pillow to lean on in my chair. That's my worst fear, is that my back will start hurting, and that I'll be too tired to work...

I had the hiccups and i felt like killing myself! OMG did they hurt! the pain has gotten better and i guess i overreacted the day after surg. I can only sleep layling down no way on my side and i cant really sit up too well. As far as drinking - 2 -3 sips of Water or any other fluids make me so full like i just ate a double cheeseburger. i can get up and down now without any pain and my mom says for a surg. im doing so well - i guess since i never had one before i had unrealistic expectations....

All the suggestions that the others have made are great, try not freeze up, propping up with pillows or recliner heat pack etc. support your abdomen with your hands or a pillow if you are coughing snezzing or things that put addtional tension through you abdominal muscles and do not forget to use the pain meds you have been given- if the dosage and meds that has been prescribed is not helping and you are in pain despite the other non medical ideas ring your Doc- post op pain control is an important part of healing

it will get better

I too had the same problems when I came home. I sleeped on my couch until I was able to sleep in my bed and was able to lay on my back I used the couch to pull my self up. I could only lay on my back but it got better day after day. I also had a problem with trapped gas, but after a few weeks I felt better.

Marisa424.

I totally know how you are feeling. I am in day 3 after surgery and I am not in too much pain from the surgery but I started crying last night thinking what did I do to myself. I seriously thought I would tell my doctor I want it out and I don't want to do this. I felt so upset at the fact that I am actually wanting to eat something with texture, but can't of course. I feel so many things. I totally understand what you are feeling. A lot of banders told me this will pass, that eventually I will feel no pain and not even feel the band in there. I guess I am struggling a lot with the liquid part and feeling somewhat deprived. I was also having a hard time with the idea of having something foreign in me all of the sudden. I just started to get anxiety. I don't know, I think I will get over this and feel normal again soon. Just thought I would let you know you are not alone. I was banded on 2/8.

Hey Guys, I was banded in Nov 06. Hang in there it's only temporary. I can sleep on either side now. Gotta admit, the diet while your stomach is healing was the hardest part of the surgery. Be creative during this phase. Cream Soups and Tomato Soup was my life savers. I went through the soft foods phase over the holidays. Tell me that didn't suck. I can eat most anything now except biscuits soft breads and tortillas. Don't sweat it it's so worth it...Good Luck, Kelley

Thanks everyone for that advice! I was banded on Feb 5th too and didn't realise that it would be so hard to lie down etc. All of your information was really helpful. It's almost a week for me now and things are starting to feel a lot better - laughing is still painful though!

Jude :mad:

Hey Kjojojr.

Thanks for the input. Can you tell me what cream Soups you ate during this liquid phase. I would love to know? So, you can pretty much eat anything now? You don't feel deprived? I think I am feeling deprived right now and getting depressed over it. I never realized my relationship with food until now. It was like a slap in the face. When I came home from the hospital, my husband had made chicken for the kids. I wasn't hungry, but I wanted the chicken very badly. It was in that moment, I knew my relationship with food was way more than what I thought it was. I thought it was bad choices and too much food. I realized at that moment that I seek food for comfort. It was so strange as it evoked all these crazy emotions which I am still feeling right now. I couldn't sleep so I got up and I on here. Needing your guy's support. Which you never fail to give me. LOVE YOU FOR THAT...don't know what I would do without it. I go back and forth. I feel like I want to tell the doctor on my post op check..TAKE IT OUT!! Then I think..what the hell am I thinking. I started getting freaked out at the idea of something being inside me. Anyway, not sure if anyone else has actually had thoughts of 'taking it out'...

But if you could tell me what cream soups you had, that would be great! Did you have to puree them? I just am not finding the puree'd soups very good. Kinda grosses me out. So, I have be doing the protien shakes, V8, the dannons yogurt smoothies, Jello, and I sucked on a candy kiss and get this..I sucked on a piece of chicken and spit it out so I wouldn't swallow it. I was horrified at myself for doing it too. But it satisfied some need. I wasn't really hungry, just wanted to taste some regular food. Ya, the emotional side is surprising to me because I am not normally that emotional and pretty practical about things. It is a reality check.

THANKS GUYS!

I am actually doing very very well i definatley over reacted when i started this thread or maybe its just how i felt at that moment in time - i just got banded on Wednesday and the pain from the surgery is virtually gone and has been since friday, the only pain/discomfort i am having is this damn gas bubble i have in my chest - it feels like i have to burp but it wont come out. I did not have any pre op diet so the only weight i have lost is since the surg. i have lost 5 lbs and i am not hungry at all!! still on liquids but they are so filling right now. The first few days were scary b/c i had never had any type of surgery before but i dont remember anything about it, i was awake then asleep then up again at which felt like 10 minutes later! At first i had a hard time getting up and out of bed i would forget that i just had surgery and would try to get up like normal and i hurt myself a few times. I think being young as definatley helped alot with my recovery and pain tolerance - i would say that i definatley had more pain with some bad bad periods... Oh and i get really tired after like and hour of being up so i take a knao im planning on going back to school on Monday but well see. any questions please feel free to ask!

But if you could tell me what cream Soups you had, that would be great! Did you have to puree them? I just am not finding the puree'd soups very good. Kinda grosses me out. So, I have be doing the protien shakes, V8, the dannons yogurt smoothies, Jello, and I sucked on a candy kiss and get this..I sucked on a piece of chicken and spit it out so I wouldn't swallow it. I was horrified at myself for doing it too. But it satisfied some need. I wasn't really hungry, just wanted to taste some regular food. Ya, the emotional side is surprising to me because I am not normally that emotional and pretty practical about things. It is a reality check.

THANKS GUYS!

Hi! I was banded one week ago tomorrow. I'm in the full liquids phase, and I find that my favorite soups are the Campbell's Soup At Hand. My favorite is the Velvety Potato with a little bit of real butter melted in it. YUM! I also like the others, but that is SO good.

I'm sorry you're not liking the full liquids phase, but just remember, it's only while you're healing so you don't dislodge your band by eating something that makes your stomach start the natural churning that it does during the digestive process.

Hello all,

Banded on 2/7, had same "what have I done" feelings and right now I just want to eat something that is not liquid, I am not hungry but want to eat, I guess that is what got me here, I have been eating liquids, some Jello, some chicken broth, but Im tired of all that, any help will be apreciated.

Today is the first day I have logged on since my surgery, as I didnt think I would ever be able to get off the couch. I couldn'd decide the day after surgery if my Dr would think I was nuts if I called him to take it all out, and which would hurt worse, taking it out or just leaving it in. LIVE WITH THE HEATING PAD. That made the biggest difference!

For the gas, which I thought I was going to DIE from, use 1/2 a spoonful of minced garlic in with your broth. :hungry: My mom reminded me that garlic cures a colic or gasy baby. And 3-4 servings of the broth with garlic and I feel like a new woman. Hang in there, keep moblie and remember that at one point you were willing to do anything to lose wait. We can't think that this was the easy way out with no "pain".

Marissa, I felt everything you're describing ! I was banded on the 29th of january so tomorrow it will be two weeks and my shoulder still hurts every once in a while. But i feel like I have a bubble in my chest that i just cannot get out ! it drives me crazy ! I wish i could do like my 8 year old and swallow and mouthful of air to make myself burp !! ugh !!!!

Hey Kjojojr.

Thanks for the input. Can you tell me what cream Soups you ate during this liquid phase. I would love to know? So, you can pretty much eat anything now? You don't feel deprived? I think I am feeling deprived right now and getting depressed over it. I never realized my relationship with food until now. It was like a slap in the face. When I came home from the hospital, my husband had made chicken for the kids. I wasn't hungry, but I wanted the chicken very badly. It was in that moment, I knew my relationship with food was way more than what I thought it was. I thought it was bad choices and too much food. I realized at that moment that I seek food for comfort. It was so strange as it evoked all these crazy emotions which I am still feeling right now. I couldn't sleep so I got up and I on here. Needing your guy's support. Which you never fail to give me. LOVE YOU FOR THAT...don't know what I would do without it. I go back and forth. I feel like I want to tell the doctor on my post op check..TAKE IT OUT!! Then I think..what the hell am I thinking. I started getting freaked out at the idea of something being inside me. Anyway, not sure if anyone else has actually had thoughts of 'taking it out'...

But if you could tell me what cream soups you had, that would be great! Did you have to puree them? I just am not finding the puree'd soups very good. Kinda grosses me out. So, I have be doing the protien shakes, V8, the dannons yogurt smoothies, Jello, and I sucked on a candy kiss and get this..I sucked on a piece of chicken and spit it out so I wouldn't swallow it. I was horrified at myself for doing it too. But it satisfied some need. I wasn't really hungry, just wanted to taste some regular food. Ya, the emotional side is surprising to me because I am not normally that emotional and pretty practical about things. It is a reality check.

THANKS GUYS!

I ate or (drank really) campbell's Soup cream of mushroom,cream of broccoli,cream of celery, just take out the chunks if you feel them in your mouth. It really satisfied me. I drank V8 alot to feel me up too. During this phase i had to pick up fast food for my daughter once and the smell just drove me crazy. I went to the next fast food and ordered nachos and sucked on the chips to get the cheese one time. Tell me that wasn't desperate. Hang in there it does get much better. I can eat dinner basically anything i want. Breakfast and lunch is limited tho. Seems like the band loosens up at night. I can't eat biscuits, tortillas, and rolls. I can eat toast in little bits tho. It's worth it . Hang in there. Let me know if you have more questions, k? Take Care, Kelley