Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm new here and I like to introduce myself. My name is Andrea and I live in Switzerland.

Today I had my first appointment with my Adipositas Doctor, he does all the testing. He told me that with my age (42) and my weight (360 lbs) most people can only drop about 150 lbs. Does anybody have any expiriance with that?

I have seen on here where people have lost well over 150 pounds

Statistically speaking, average weight loss for gastric bypass patients is 80% of excess weight. Can't be specific without your height but lets say that you are 160 pounds over your ideal weight (BMI under 25). 80% of that 160 pounds would be 128 pounds. But...remember that 80% is the average weight loss. So that tells us that some people lose less and some lose more. I've been fortunate enough (and determined enough) to lose 100% of my excess weight (BMI currently 23.4).

Bottom line is that the only limit to what you can lose is any limit that you might put on it. The surgery doesn't care what your current weight is or what your goal weight is. It's all about lifestyle changes and that's the power of the surgery. Putting you in control of making those changes. Trust the process. There is absolutely no doubt that it works. Commit to achieving your ideal weight and don't settle for anything more than that. But at the same time, make sure that your expectations are realistic. It doesn't happen overnight. Patience is not only a virtue, it's a necessity. It's a journey, not a marathon. Follow the post-op protocol as closely to the letter as you possibly can, stay active, and stay away from the scales. You're gonna love the new you!!

I don't understand the realistic expectations and the determination to lose a 100% of the excess weight. My nutritionist thinks that I am living in denial because I want to lose it all. How do you draw the line between unrealistic and possible with hard work?

I don't understand the realistic expectations and the determination to lose a 100% of the excess weight. My nutritionist thinks that I am living in denial because I want to lose it all. How do you draw the line between unrealistic and possible with hard work?

I think it's possible it just takes a lot of work.

You have the final say in your outcome. :)

I can be done just most get happy with a size 14 or so. You have to be drive to the healthily BMI. My BF has made it in two years. It can be done!!

It isn't uncommon for folks to expect to lose unrealistically large amounts of weight very quickly following surgery. We often see posts from frustrated patients because they've "only" lost five pounds a week and they're four weeks post-op. Can you lose 100% of excess weight - absolutely you can! Can you do it in a few months - probably not. And certainly not in a healthy and safe way. In my case, it took almost a year. So I always try to encourage everyone to expect reach their goal - but understand that it won't happen overnight.

I can do the hard work....I just felt disappointed that the nutritionist wasn't more supportive.

I can certainly appreciate your feelings. It may have been a somewhat misguided attempt to help you avoid frustration down the road that can sometimes sabotage people in their journey. Healthcare professionals sometimes get a little insensitive "in the heat of battle". You surely sound to me like a person that has made the commitment to achieve your goal. Like my signature says, "Persistence, along with absolute belief, can never be defeated." Looking forward to reading about all of the amazing success stories you are about to experience!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Mr.Kantos

Just signed up. Feeling optimistic.
      · 0 replies
    • Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

3. BabySpoons

So proud of you Cat. Getting into those smaller size clothes is half the fun isn't it?. Keep up the good work!!!!

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

That's brilliant! You've done amazing!! I should probably think about changing my profile picture at some point. Mine is the doll from Squid Games. Ironically the whole premise of the show is about dodging death. We've both done that...

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches