Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revision From Band To Rny And Why.

I am in the process of insurance approval to have a revision from Band to RNY. I have had my band for seven years. I have been very lucky to have not had any complications, no slips ect. My band is unfilled now, because i never did get the 'sweet' spot, either to tight and things would come back up or I would revert to soft high carb foods, or too loose and I can pretty much eat anything. I had my surgery for the band in Cincinnati Ohio, (I live in Indianapolis) The surgeon Dr, Trace Curry was excellent,

I do think traveling back and forth for fills ect did hinder me getting where I needed to be for my fill to be right. But no matter what the band was not going to help most of my medical issues.

Since the band I have lost and gained the same 30 to 40 pounds. Now at my heaviest. And the band did not help any of my medical problems. I am hoping the RNY both with the smaller stomach and mal absorption and the actual surgery itself will help with my uncontrolled type 2 diabetes and insulin resistance. I am so sensitive to insulin that I swell and ache all over but I have to take large amounts to keep my blood sugar down. It is like I am on a merry go round, hurt, can't exercise, can't exercise, gain weight, blood sugars out of control, more insulin, can't breath because of severe asthma and copd, need steriods about once a year, higher blood sugars, more weight gain, can't exercise, and around and around we go

My hope and prayer is that this surgery will add years to my life that I can spend with my children and grandchildren. I need to GET a life, because what I am doing right now is not living.

I hope your insurance approval comes through for you and that you get the relief you are seeking and deserve!

With the medical issues you have I don't see why you wouldn't get approved. You have the band and its not working for you so that should be the reason for approval. I wish you the best.

Good luck! I hope you get approved!!! In a sense, I guess I was lucky to have a slip. That made me officially a failed band and my insurance gave me no issues at all with approval. They're even basing my approval on my pre-band stats (my BMI is now <40 and I have no major comorbidities since my 70+ lb weight loss with the band). All in all, other than the actual healing from the slipped band and waiting 6 months to get RNY due to damage from the band, this whole thing has been pretty easy.... So keep your head up! And keep us updated!!!!

Thanks for the support. It means so much.

Seems the insurance company wants more medical reasons for the revision. My silly husband just said, drink a carbonated beverage and cause it kick up a fuss. But he has no idea how much pain would be involved. This road may be even longer to hoe then i expected. Not giving up.

Much luck to you! I was just converted! I understand your frustration!!

Had band since 11/08. Fluid in, fluid out, little loss. Had 2 ugi with little dialation 3 years ago. Decided to get it out this year. Saw a different physician due to insurance. Had another ugi. Didn't see anything wrong but lower abdominal erosions due to H. pylori. Scheduled for lap removal of band and revision to rny 10/22. Start preop diet monday. Preop testing 10/17. I was a cash pay also. So I started a seeing my pcp every month for 6 months and joined WW. I knew the insurance would want me to do that. So I was proactive. I got approved on the first try. I don't see why they wouldn't approve you.