Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did it take everyone to get back to work? I work at a bank and am having surgery tomorrow (2/2/07) and planned to return Tue. giving me 3 days off after the day of surgery. Does that sound okay?

I had surgery on Saturday and was back at work on Monday. The only thing was I still had to wear very comfortable clothing and by the end of the day I was exhausted, but it is doable.

I had my surgery Tuesday (1/30) and today I'm just feeling up to doing things around the house. My worst day was the day after..lots of soreness and my neck and back were hurting. Today I had a shower, did lots of walking around the house and it's much easier for me to get up and down. I wasn't really prepared for the "gut" pain I would have. I was so focused on the gas pain, but only had a day of that. The worst part for me has been trying to get out of bed and sitting up and down. By tomorrow I think I'll be up to pretty much anything which will be 3 full days of recovery! I'd say it's a breeze after day 2!! Good luck to you with your surgery. :confused:

Stacy

You should be aware that not everyone recovers as quickly as the lucky bandsters who responded to your question. There is no way on earth I could have returned to work in 3 days. I'm over two weeks post-op now and still have some significant issues. I would be careful about making major work commitments too quickly if you can avoid it.

This is my day three post op; and I can't even imagine leaving the house early in the a.m., taking a 1 hour commute, and working all day. Seriously; I can't even imagine doing it next week at this time! The night of surgery and night two - omg; forget it. Last night, I hardly slept in the bed. I'm not a back sleeper and that's really all I'm limited to right now. I get very stiff also.

Cath, wow! You are a superhero! :)

Because I had mine on Friday -26th and there is no way I could be at work after three days. :) Had a really bad time - lots of pain!! :sick Yesterday was the first day I felt (marginally) better!

SeeMeBeMe2, I would plan to take more time off. I work in a bank too and had planned to be back on Monday - worst case Wednesday and that really was wishful thinking!

3 days post op I was NOT ready for work and I am at a desk all day. I was very tired probably because I couldn't sleep very well. (I always slept on my stomach but now thats not possible!) I went back after 10 days and felt ok then. No-one at work knows why I was out sick - it was a tummy bug as far as the kids and work colleagues are concerned. Only my hubby and my doctor know I had this done..

So glad to see so many voice concern over an expected quick recovery. I was banded, like Sherilynn and Gigi, on 1/30, and was expecting to go home that evening. I could not have been more wrong. I needed to stay for pain and anti-nausea meds overnight. Day 2 at home was very painful and an effort to just get fluids in...still nauseous and a bunch of gas (up and down- the down is a relief, the up hurts) Getting in and out of bed was painful and i needed help just to roll over. Day 3 more of the same in the a.m, but started to feel better by late afternoon. A little easier to get in fluids and move around. Day 4, today, I feel much better, but would definitely not want to be back at work. I imagine I will go in for a few hours on Monday- that is 6 days. I am lucky though, that I own the business. I can not imagine having to stay all day.

I think it is really important to be honest- this was tougher than I thought it would be, and I am very glad to have it behind me.... and very happy to be on the upswing. I am not complaining and have NO second thoughts. I feel blessed to have this opportunity to better my health and my life. I was surprised, though, by how much it took out of me.

Lucky to those who didn't need 4 or more days to recover, that's really terrific. I just would not count on it.

Good luck to all bandsters, and those who are thinking about it.

Can't wait to be an "AFTER"

Kim

223/217/215/125

pre-op/surg/today/goal

I had surgery on a Friday and was back to work on a Tuesday. I had to take it slow and I was exhausted in the evenings but it was fine for me. Just wait and see how you feel.

Stomach sleeper? I was banded on 1/23 and am just now being able to sleep on my stomach, what I did was use a king size pillow next to me and sleep kind of on my side and some on my stomach. The large pillow kept me from being completely on my stomach, but allowed me to have the same feeling of doing so. I just throw my leg on top of the big pillow and let it support me. Try this and see if helps you sleep...

Lee

Dr. Kirshenbaum

www.lapbandrockies.com

236/213/135

Everybody's different but...

I had surgery on Thursday 1/25, in Denver, and was back to work on Monday 1/29, at a desk job, in Wisconsin.

Here's a play by play to give you an idea....

Day of surgery - woke up in recovery room around 4:30. I was back to the hotel around 5:30 -6:00 and "slept" (aka- out cold, dead to the world- 3 phone calls and a screaming 14 month old who bumped her head - and heard nothing, out) until 4:30 am, went potty and slept until about 8:00 am.

Day after surgery - in and out of bed all day. Sore tummy (just when I tried to sit up/roll over- like having done a bunch of sit ups) and dry mouth. I did shower, visit the Dr. and go out to dinner (mmmm...soup) that night, all without much trouble. (I even remarked to my husband that if I HAD to go to work today, I'd be tired but I could do it...)

Day two - woke up early and flew home - two shuttle buses, one connection with a delay at O'hare. 14 month old and a diaper bag in tow. No issues. Wasn't even tired (except for the normal wear and tear of travel).

Day three - Pretty much back to normal. Went to Target, watched TV, etc..

Day 4 - back to work 7:00 am.

I'd have to say the only restrictions I had were due to movement, since you are aware of your incisions. I walked slow, 'cause if I walked too fast, my belly would jiggle a bit and kind of make my incisions uncomfortable.(nice, huh?)

I couldn't pick up my daughter (didn't want to blow a stitch)

Couldn't really play with her on the floor comfortably or change a diaper.

I also had a cold and coughing really sucked. I held a pillow to my tummy for pressure and was able to cough productively.

I am still a little careful getting in and out of the car.

Bending over to tie your shoes or shave your legs - wouldn't recommend it for a couple of days post op.

I can't imagine going back to work so quickly....I think you should rethink this. you need to mend and get your drinking and food situated first.

A big thanks to everyone for their advice and help on this matter. My husband and I went in on this together and he came out skipping while I am having a very hard time with "gas". Its been 2 days and I can't seem to get rid of enough and its climbing into my shoulders neck and makes it very hard to breath deeply. I have one more day to try to be reasonable for work which I hope happens but the gas is killing me! By the way, just so hopefully no one tries my big mistake, I thought taking a very hot shower would bring the gas up and I could burp it out, well I didn't think well enough and the heat just made the gas swell and I ended up throwing up gas which is very painfull with all my holes...so please don't try a hot shower if you have gas buildup! lol